Why Adkins? What about Pacheco?

Loaiza21

Adkins has gone 7-7 with a mediocre 3.91 AAA ERA...

And Pacheco, who has been amazing as a starter in AA has an 11-2 Record and a 2.55 ERA...That's amazing. Personally I'd have groomed Cotts more in AA and tried to have cut down the walks since he is our BEST pitcher in the farm system....Maybe Pacheco would've handled the majors a bit better. Or at least let Pacheco come up in September and spot start. It'd be pretty cool to see him pitch.

The big thing is I don't think the Sox want to strip the Barons chances of going to the postseason. I also don't think that Pacheco is ready. I'm sure the Sox want to give him another year of AAA, especially since this has been his coming out party.

You also have to note that Adkins has pitched extremely well in a hitters park. He's been more dominant as the season has went by and when I was in Charlotte I heard some really good things about him and some awesome things about Wright and Rios (Their attitudes namely).

Adkins earned this callup. I'm guessing once Ginter can be called up, you may see him replace Adkins, but thats me speculating.

Joe Valentine was sent down by the Reds.  He was to be the A's future closer.

Nah, he was more of a throw-in. The A's are smart and probably understand that there's no such thing as a "relief pitching prospect."

And the best pitcher in the system is Honel, not Cotts.

Nah, he was more of a throw-in.  The A's are smart and probably understand that there's no such thing as a "relief pitching prospect."

Then all they have after this season are draft picks, assuming they offer Foulke arbitration. A pretty scary thing nowadays. We will still have Koch (you never know,) and Cotts (a suppossed throw in.)

Valentine's numbers last year were not throw in material.

Nah, he was more of a throw-in.  The A's are smart and probably understand that there's no such thing as a "relief pitching prospect."

Cotts is the 2nd best in the system. Honel is flat out amazing.

Behind those two its Wing (Another lefty who impressed the hell out of me when I saw him pitch; also has an amazing pickoff move).

I do think that Cotts is going to be very good though. I don't know how anyone can write him off after one game.

Behind those two its Wing (Another lefty who impressed the hell out of me when I saw him pitch; also has an amazing pickoff move).

I do think that Cotts is going to be very good though. I don't know how anyone can write him off after one game.

Jason, did you see Honel this year?

I have had some scouts tell me that he hasn't impressed them much this year. Said he topped out at 86 mph a game or two.

I have never seen him pitch, so I have nothing to input here. Just wondering if anyone else has seen him, or even better, seen him multiple times?

I have had some scouts tell me that he hasn't impressed them much this year. Said he topped out at 86 mph a game or two.

I have never seen him pitch, so I have nothing to input here. Just wondering if anyone else has seen him, or even better, seen him multiple times?

I have also read at a few places that a lot of poeple arnt very impressed with honel this season.......

Baseball America has reported several times that Honel regained his lost velocity from last year, so I don't know where those reports are coming from.

As for Adkins and not Pacheco: Adkins is on the 40 man, Pacheco is not.

I watched him once. Knuckle curve was ridiculously good and his fastball was hitting 93 consistently when I watched him.

On a sidenote thats what Deininger was hitting when we saw him in Kanny and he really impressed me.

FWIW, I also don't think Pacheco is ready. He is still too inconsistent from inning to inning. He'll go two innings and be untouchable, and then two where he leaves his slider up and his fastball over the middle of the plate.

If you stick him in the bullpen, you never know which one you are going to get.

FWIW, I also don't think Pacheco is ready.  He is still too inconsistent from inning to inning.  He'll go two innings and be untouchable, and then two where he leaves his slider up and his fastball over the middle of the plate.

If you stick him in the bullpen, you never know which one you are going to get.

It sounds like he'd fit right in our bullpen.