2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Except I b****ed about it during the rest of the playoffs too. Its pathetic.

Maybe you should direct your b****ing toward whatever cheap content provider you pay for?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
It comes on packages with a lot of other sports channels.

Please tell me where all the games, all season, should be broadcasted? And what options the NHL turned down instead?

Stop f***ing locking out and start actually playing the sport regularly for more then 5 or 6 years and maybe you don't have this problem. Greedy players and owners are the reason they are in this s***ty situation. Yes, the sport has done well because some of the top markets are performing (you have SoCal and Chicago both being huge rating booms for the league in recent years) but you know what could have been if the league and players hadn't royally f***ed up. You had to start over as a league. NHL and the players made this mess.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
I can always watch the Bears with an OTA, crystal-clear HD signal and a $80 antenna.

Aside from on random Sundays and a WGN game here and there, you can NEVER watch the Blackhawks with an OTA, crystal-clear HD signal and an $80 antenna. But now you're a superfan who can't be bothered to find an alternative for 2 possible games that won't be on NBC?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Maybe you should direct your b****ing toward whatever cheap content provider you pay for?

I don't care...I get a great price and love my service. I had directtv prior and overall I like what I have. And I get BTN and plenty of other channels that bring more value to me then a network that boasts hockey and MLS games (and some s***ty conference football/basketball games). If you wanted to broadcast on a non-existent channel just broadcast all your games on the NHL channel and pump that up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Except I b****ed about it during the rest of the playoffs too. Its pathetic.

Alternatives, please?

Upgrade your package, I'm sure you can afford it if you are so concerned with watching hockey.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
They probably would if the Super Bowl was.

But not if the majority of NFL games were on there all year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Stop f***ing locking out and start actually playing the sport regularly for more then 5 or 6 years and maybe you don't have this problem. Greedy players and owners are the reason they are in this s***ty situation. Yes, the sport has done well because some of the top markets are performing (you have SoCal and Chicago both being huge rating booms for the league in recent years) but you know what could have been if the league and players hadn't royally f***ed up. You had to start over as a league. NHL and the players made this mess.

What s***ty situation? As has been described, this NBC deal the NHL made has been fantastic. Hockey is doing wonderfully.

Also - please add the exact post above about locking out to the NBA thread.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Aside from on random Sundays and a WGN game here and there, you can NEVER watch the Blackhawks with an OTA, crystal-clear HD signal and an $80 antenna. But now you're a superfan who can't be bothered to find an alternative for 2 possible games that won't be on NBC?

When you have kids and families there are plenty of people that are going to not be in front of a TV enough to watch every game and to spend an extra $15/month for something like that. And the reality is the big money isn't in the $ spent at the arena's, it is in the overall ratings and the better the ratings the more ad revenues and the bigger the tv contracts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I don't care...I get a great price and love my service. I had directtv prior and overall I like what I have. And I get BTN and plenty of other channels that bring more value to me then a network that boasts hockey and MLS games (and some s***ty conference football/basketball games). If you wanted to broadcast on a non-existent channel just broadcast all your games on the NHL channel and pump that up.

doesn't care about hockey

b****es about not getting hockey

The NHL has lost a true opportunity, here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
You do realize the Stanley Cup Final will be on NBC for 5 games, right?

Also, the NBA Finals have LeBron James. It's pointless to compare.

Yep and it is nice...too bad 2 of the games are on a network that is available to about 20% less people then TNT.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)

I'm not exactly defending the lockout.

I'm coming up with ways to deal with what already happened.

Also, LOL at "non-existent channel".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
When you have kids and families there are plenty of people that are going to not be in front of a TV enough to watch every game and to spend an extra $15/month for something like that. And the reality is the big money isn't in the $ spent at the arena's, it is in the overall ratings and the better the ratings the more ad revenues and the bigger the tv contracts.

78 million homes

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)

Nope, just a guy who would like to watch the Blackhawks throughout the Stanely Cup Finals, generating advertising revenue for the NHL, and annoyed that I can't.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm not exactly defending the lockout.

I'm coming up with ways to deal with what already happened.

Also, LOL at "non-existent channel".

15-20% less homes then TNT. You are competing for ratings. Also, I don't have statistics but I bet 98% of people with cable TV have heard of TNT. I'm going to guess 10% of them have heard of a channel called NBC sports. You know how many f***ing channels i have that I don't even know I have. Just cause I'm subscribed doesn't mean I'm ever going to scroll to it. It is just one of those channels in between the ones I watch and the next one I watch.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)

LMAO.

This has come full circle.

Steve, if you could do a Flapship write up on other s*** people can watch on Saturday and Monday night because the NHL f***ing sucks, that'd be great.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)

No, the only people who should ever watch the Blackhawks are people who watch every single game. Casual fans generate zero revenue for sports teams.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
LMAO.

Steve, if you could do a Flapship write up on other s*** people can watch on Saturday and Monday night because the NHL f***ing sucks, that'd be great.

Maybe he could write about NBC's top-rated primetime lineup?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
15-20% less homes then TNT. You are competing for ratings. Also, I don't have statistics but I bet 98% of people with cable TV have heard of TNT. I'm going to guess 10% of them have heard of a channel called NBC sports. You know how many f***ing channels i have that I don't even know I have. Just cause I'm subscribed doesn't mean I'm ever going to scroll to it. It is just one of those channels in between the ones I watch and the next one I watch.

Haha, okay.

You know who knows it's there? Hockey fans (and other sports fans).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Nope, just a guy who would like to watch the Blackhawks throughout the Stanely Cup Finals, generating advertising revenue for the NHL, and annoyed that I can't.

Settle for the 5. It's not the end of the world.

Or, if you do care enough, upgrade your package for two weeks. Or watch it via the app. Or watch it at a bar or a friend's house. Or, do what the NHL and NBC rightly want you to do, and call and b**** to your cable provider.

Good God, TBS had one measly first-round Cubs game and Chicago went bats*** crazy to get TBS in HD on Comcast. Write a strongly-worded letter to get it in a tier that works for you (odd, though, since Comcast and DirecTV have no problem providing this channel).

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
LMAO.

Can't do it. I'll be watching hockey!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
No, the only people who should ever watch the Blackhawks are people who watch every single game. Casual fans generate zero revenue for sports teams.

Casual fans who watch zero games all year, have no cable, and then b**** about not being able to watch 2 of them, don't exactly generate much revenue for the NHL.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Maybe he could write about NBC's top-rated primetime lineup?

The reason for the two games to be on the NBC Sports Network is not due to NBC's summer lineup of reruns. It's due to NBC smartly putting money in sports and a network that is going to be very huge very soon.

It's as if no one here understands that the NHL and NBC have a partnership. No one gave a F*CK about the NFL Network until it started getting games. Now it's available everywhere.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)

I said I don't care about b****ing to my cable provider. I'm happy with my service. I was for once not b****ing about hockey and i blame the league for putting big games on a channel that isn't important. It is one thing when a games in the 1st round are broadcasted on random networks but once you get past that, you should be broadcasting everything on networks which are widely available and known.