Sunday lineups

Princess Dye

Surely I will get killed for this. And surely there's been many variations of this topic before.

But why so much rest time during a season for the team's starting quality players? Taking lefty/righty out of it completely--why do these guys need that much rest when the game is not as physically demanding (endurance-wise) as the other major US sports? I'm sure I will hear explanations about mental health and what not but it still has always irked me, when I think about how close my team has come during some seasons, to lose by a game or two (that possibly had lesser personnel in).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
Ventura has used his bench WAY less than Guillen ever did.

I really don't have a problem with bench players getting playing time and this is true, Ventura has gone with a regular starting lineup moreso than Guillen ever did. I'm not so sure that I like it when he empties out the bench in one game however.

I don't mind resting guys and getting the bench players some AB's. It's a long season and everyone needs a break every now and then, it's the fact that Robin seems to pick a day and decides the ENTIRE bench gets to start. That's the weird thing. Have a rotation set this picking Sunday and saying f*** it doesn't really result in W's.

As an out of town fan, my biggest problem with the Sunday line-ups in the past has been that the Sunday game is often televised, and I get to watch Rob Mackowiak and friends play baseball. I'd rather see the manager sit guys in a more staggered way and field the strongest possible line-up each game.