8/9 games

danman31

People have been seemingly on the fence about it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that Brady Shoemaker's a prospect. Regardless of tools, his numbers don't lie...he walks, he doesn't strike out too much, he hits, he hits for power, and he plays the outfield. I admit I haven't seen him swing a bat, so I'm slightly in the dark in that regard, but his numbers indicate a well school, patient hitter. In fact, his minor league numbers are comparable to two Cardinals, Allen Craig and David Freese. Neither were ever big time prospects, both were generally older for their level (though Craig was a bit younger), and they were both disciplined hitters who hit for power (albeit better home run power), didn't strike out a ton, and drew their fair share of walks.

When it comes to hitters, there is sort of a punnett square - guys with talent who get it (you're elite), guys with talent who don't get it (the maddeningly inconsistent), guys without talent who get it (more consistent, easily overlooked), and those without talent who don't (minor leaguers or bench players). There's obviously a lot of gray area here, but Shoemaker really seems like the kind of guy who is, at the very least, going to find his way onto a bench at some point, and if he keeps on hitting, into a lineup. And I'm not at all concerned about his .264 average in Birmingham. You'd like to see it higher, but it's a very small sample, he's walking more, he's still making pretty decent contact, and the power, albeit down some, is still there too.

Might actually be a good idea to push him a bit and start him in AAA next year if they can find room.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Leighton Pangilinan may owe someone BIG TIME tonight.....

Dude has 14 errors as a first baseman. That's not good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
People have been seemingly on the fence about it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that Brady Shoemaker's a prospect. Regardless of tools, his numbers don't lie...he walks, he doesn't strike out too much, he hits, he hits for power, and he plays the outfield. I admit I haven't seen him swing a bat, so I'm slightly in the dark in that regard, but his numbers indicate a well school, patient hitter. In fact, his minor league numbers are comparable to two Cardinals, Allen Craig and David Freese. Neither were ever big time prospects, both were generally older for their level (though Craig was a bit younger), and they were both disciplined hitters who hit for power (albeit better home run power), didn't strike out a ton, and drew their fair share of walks.

When it comes to hitters, there is sort of a punnett square - guys with talent who get it (you're elite), guys with talent who don't get it (the maddeningly inconsistent), guys without talent who get it (more consistent, easily overlooked), and those without talent who don't (minor leaguers or bench players). There's obviously a lot of gray area here, but Shoemaker really seems like the kind of guy who is, at the very least, going to find his way onto a bench at some point, and if he keeps on hitting, into a lineup. And I'm not at all concerned about his .264 average in Birmingham. You'd like to see it higher, but it's a very small sample, he's walking more, he's still making pretty decent contact, and the power, albeit down some, is still there too.

Might actually be a good idea to push him a bit and start him in AAA next year if they can find room.

Once he made the jump to AA and has seemingly adjusted pretty well, I have to agree. Not a high end prospect, but a prospect, and one worth watching.

I'm not sure AAA that quick is a great idea, it depends on how this last month of AA goes for him. He's only been in AA for about a month. Let him finish the season there, and maybe play AFL - that would be a good idea, he's the ideal guy for it in some ways. If he finishes strong in AA and (hopefully) in an AFL appearance, then maybe AAA next year. At this point, in terms of the "Big Board", the only OF who is truly ahead of him (discounting mercenaries like Wise and Johnson) is Mitchell, and maybe Short if he returns healthy. And you've got kind of a stack of guys behind him that will need room to move up quickly (Walker and Thompson primarily, but also Earley and Haddow). So, it seems like it makes sense, depth chart-wise.

If Shoemaker is the type of player you guys think he is, he'll be able to handle AAA next year. If he's mentally far ahead of the competition, that move will show that off. That said, let's see what he does to round out the year in AA.