The Bench

Kyyle23

Since this is quite a noteworthy subject for us at the moment with Hudson and Olmedo currently rounding out the infield depth, I thought I would create a thread for discussion of possible candidates off the waiver wire or plucked from free agency if waived after passing through the waiver process.

Candidates At the Moment

Jose Lopez, DFA on August 7th, released today by Indians

Mike Aviles, placed on waivers August 12th by Red Sox

Mike Fontenot, Already cleared waivers, currently a free agent

please add any utility infielders that you feel would be good bench players for a few months

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Since this is quite a noteworthy subject for us at the moment with Hudson and Olmedo currently rounding out the infield depth, I thought I would create a thread for discussion of possible candidates off the waiver wire or plucked from free agency if waived after passing through the waiver process.

Candidates At the Moment

Jose Lopez, DFA on August 7th, released today by Indians

Mike Aviles, placed on waivers August 12th by Red Sox

Mike Fontenot, Already cleared waivers, currently a free agent

please add any utility infielders that you feel would be good bench players for a few months

Mike Aviles is a guy that I am surprised cleared waivers. 252BA with 11 home runs (not to mention the fact that he just wears us out). I sure wouldnt mind us picking him up for our utility guy and DFA Hudson or Olmedo

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't think we know for sure that Aviles cleared waivers. Even if he did, I can't see Boston getting rid of him with Middlebrooks gone for the year now.

They have got to be going into sell mode here any day now. Their season is over. 11 out of the ALE, and 5.5 out of the Wild Card with at least 4 teams to pass.

I don't think we know for sure that Aviles cleared waivers. Even if he did, I can't see Boston getting rid of him with Middlebrooks gone for the year now.

Really though, if Boston has no plans for Aviles then why keep him? It isnt as if they are suddenly going to vault into contention, they are 2 games under .500 and going nowhere.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Mike Aviles has passed through waivers, but the Athletics are unlikely to trade for him.The A's inquired about him before the trade deadline but felt the Red Sox were asking for too much in return for the shortstop. Slusser says the chances of Oakland adding an upgrade at shortstop prior to September are "slim." Aviles is batting .252/.280/.393 with 11 homers and 10 steals this season for Boston. Aug 12 - 9:28 AMSource: San Francisco Chronicle

Edited by GoGoSox2k2

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Mike Aviles has passed through waivers, but the Athletics are unlikely to trade for him.The A's inquired about him before the trade deadline but felt the Red Sox were asking for too much in return for the shortstop. Slusser says the chances of Oakland adding an upgrade at shortstop prior to September are "slim." Aviles is batting .252/.280/.393 with 11 homers and 10 steals this season for Boston. Aug 12 - 9:28 AMSource: San Francisco Chronicle

huh, too much. The Red Sox must be asking for 5 bucks back