Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto to LAD

southsider2k5

Part of that money is an advance against their future regional sports network contract, is one way of looking at it.

Essentially, the belief is that deep playoff runs the next two post-seasons will more than pay for itself at the end of 2013 when they get a new t.v. contract.

From the, you have to spend money to make money school of business. But look at the Angels, trading for Greinke, the Vernon Wells contract, Wilson, Pujols, the presence of Trout and Trumbo, Weaver, etc. It's all about the two LA teams becoming NY/BOS West Coast Version.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Part of that money is an advance against their future regional sports network contract, is one way of looking at it.

Essentially, the belief is that deep playoff runs the next two post-seasons will more than pay for itself at the end of 2013 when they get a new t.v. contract.

From the, you have to spend money to make money school of business. But look at the Angels, trading for Greinke, the Vernon Wells contract, Wilson, Pujols, the presence of Trout and Trumbo, Weaver, etc. It's all about the two LA teams becoming NY/BOS West Coast Version.

Furthermore, having Adrian Gonzalez on their roster is probably going to be an incredibly valuable asset for them in terms of developing additional following amongst the communities with Mexican backgrounds in the LA area.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
While I agree this trade looks insane from a Dodger perspective, as a fan, would you rather see the players get tbe money or the owners pocket it?

After seeing what happened in places like San Diego and Miami where teams were sold off and force into toilet because the owners weren't willing to pay anymore... I would hope there was a balance there somewhere.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Furthermore, having Adrian Gonzalez on their roster is probably going to be an incredibly valuable asset for them in terms of developing additional following amongst the communities with Mexican backgrounds in the LA area.

I'd love to see some empirical evidence of this. Anytime a latin player moves people say this kind of s***. Gonzo didn't get people to watch Padres games, Ozzie didn't get people to care about the Marlins. This is just drivel that keeps getting repeated anytime a latin player moves. People care about baseball or they don't, and people care about stars or they don't. Someone being white isn't going to make me like them more than if they were latino, and it goes the same for latinos. This is bulls***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
I'd love to see some empirical evidence of this. Anytime a latin player moves people say this kind of s***. Gonzo didn't get people to watch Padres games, Ozzie didn't get people to care about the Marlins. This is just drivel that keeps getting repeated anytime a latin player moves. People care about baseball or they don't, and people care about stars or they don't. Someone being white isn't going to make me like them more than if they were latino, and it goes the same for latinos. This is bulls***.

You would be all over it if it was a ginger superstar.

There definitely is evidence about bringing in additional revenue in the case of Japanese superstars like Nomo, Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, Dice-K, etc.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm sure the Mariners' front office could tell you how much he was REALLY worth to their franchise over the last decade.