9/6 Games

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Guys like Almora who have early big hype will stay on the list longer than they should in some cases, because the same people who hyped them are the same ones who influence the list. Also, there is just the practicality that it is very difficult to track and analyze so many prospects in baseball with any real depth of knowledge, so the big names just tend to do better in these lists, even if there are indications they aren't living up to expectations. Plus add in the team/system perception I noted before too.

I agree with everything you just said, but I don't see how BA could justify including Almora and not Hawkins. Maybe neither makes it, but Almora is doing just ok in short-season ball, while Hawkins destroyed the ball in regular A and is currently doing a damn fine job in the playoffs for an A+ team.

IMO, Almora should be Hawkins' comp and right now Hawkins looks like the better prospect. I hope BA would follow a similar logic, but Almora is definitely the bigger name and will probably get the benefit of the doubt like you said.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Anybody know what the Sox have planned for Hawkins in the off season?

I can't imagine they will push him too far. He is 18 and has just played the most games of his life by far. Next year he is going to play even more games. Workout, stay in shape, and come back ready to go next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I can't imagine they will push him too far. He is 18 and has just played the most games of his life by far. Next year he is going to play even more games. Workout, stay in shape, and come back ready to go next year.

That's my guess too. It is possible he plays in the fall instructional league (aka mini-AFL, for the younger and lower level types), but I doubt it. Best to let him end on a very good note, get some rest, work out and keep stretched out, and come into the spring fresh and ready to go the full season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Almora's contact rate is impressive. His power is not. He's not a comp for Hawkins at all.

I'm not saying they are the same type of player, but they are both high-school OFs drafted in the first round of this year's draft. It's only natural to compare the development of the two of them. Not sure who else you would compare Hawkins to at this point.