Ouch! I broke my foot.

WilliamTell

Yesterday I broke my foot, the first broken bone I've ever had. I stepped in a pot hole and rolled my ankle, putting all my weight on the side of my left foot which broke my 5th metatarsal. I'm pretty bummed because today I was going to start volleyball, which won't happen, and it'll also put an end to my softball season. I was told I won't be able to put much pressure on it for 4 weeks. What I'm wondering is, has anyone had this injury before? And if you have, how long did it take to recover? I love doing p90x and running along with playing sports, so it's going to be incredibly annoying not being able to be active!

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Yesterday I broke my foot, the first broken bone I've ever had. I stepped in a pot hole and rolled my ankle, putting all my weight on the side of my left foot which broke my 5th metatarsal. I'm pretty bummed because today I was going to start volleyball, which won't happen, and it'll also put an end to my softball season. I was told I won't be able to put much pressure on it for 4 weeks. What I'm wondering is, has anyone had this injury before? And if you have, how long did it take to recover? I love doing p90x and running along with playing sports, so it's going to be incredibly annoying not being able to be active!

Stay off of it for as much time as you need, or it won't heal right. It sucks now, but it is worth it.

It's actually feeling a bit better today, not even that swollen, which is good. I'm on crutches right now and hopefully for only a few days. Then I'll just wear my walking shoe around. I'm glad I don't have to be in a cast though. The next month will be ok, as long as the Sox are still alive!

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)

Let Ab Ripper X become your best friend. You can still be active without having to be on your feet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Stay off of it for as much time as you need, or it won't heal right. It sucks now, but it is worth it.

This. I've broken a few bones (foot, lower leg, elbow chip, fingers, toes) and had 4 surgeries (knee, knee, shoulder, wrist), and I can tell you without a doubt that if you don't let it heal right, and don't do the PT after, you will not get back to your previous normal.

I broke my big toe years ago and tried to get back into it too soon and it affect my gait and the way I was placing my weight on my feet and consequently contributed to my knee injury.

So be very careful and let it heal. I always say injury time sucks for many reason, not being active is the #1 reason, the #2 for me is I then go on a very strict diet to ensure I dont balloon.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I broke my big toe years ago and tried to get back into it too soon and it affect my gait and the way I was placing my weight on my feet and consequently contributed to my knee injury.

So be very careful and let it heal. I always say injury time sucks for many reason, not being active is the #1 reason, the #2 for me is I then go on a very strict diet to ensure I dont balloon.

Those are exactly the 2 reasons I was thinking about also. I'm already doubling my fruits and veggies, mainly because I usually don't do a great job eating them to begin with. Today I got a walking boot on and actually I like the crutches better mainly because it's harder to move around so I get a little bit of a work out that way. At least I can work out abs and a little bit of upper body. Unfortunately the doctor told me it's a hard bone to heal correctly so I might end up having to get a screw put in. 4 weeks could turn into who knows how long!

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Those are exactly the 2 reasons I was thinking about also. I'm already doubling my fruits and veggies, mainly because I usually don't do a great job eating them to begin with. Today I got a walking boot on and actually I like the crutches better mainly because it's harder to move around so I get a little bit of a work out that way. At least I can work out abs and a little bit of upper body. Unfortunately the doctor told me it's a hard bone to heal correctly so I might end up having to get a screw put in. 4 weeks could turn into who knows how long!

Yeah, its a b**** just do it right. I ignored all of that s*** and a few years later my toe is still not right and its really hurt the rest of my body.

I'm BACK! (got banned. whoops)

don't just do nothing. you've got arms you can work, you've got a core you can work. Tony H tore his biceps last year, popped clear off the bone. He kept working everything else anyway. Got a ton of leg work and core work done. So don't get down on yourself and don't let this derail you - just think of it as an opportunity to get huge guns! :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm BACK! (got banned. whoops)

don't just do nothing. you've got arms you can work, you've got a core you can work. Tony H tore his biceps last year, popped clear off the bone. He kept working everything else anyway. Got a ton of leg work and core work done. So don't get down on yourself and don't let this derail you - just think of it as an opportunity to get huge guns! :P

Haha very true. Yeah I've been focusing on upper boday and abs. So far it's feeling very good after just over a week so I'm hoping it's healing correctly and I'll be back on track in a few weeks.