White Sox considered Griffey For Mags Swap

aboz56

USA Today sports weekly reports that Ken Griffey Jr. wants out of Cincy.

The report says the Reds offered him to the White Sox for Magglio. The Sox debated it for a week and said NO.

Now it says Griffey wants to play for the Yankees and was in town last week.

Thank god KW didn't do this, but why even debate this move? If I'm a baseball GM, the only OF I trade Mags for is Vlady. Case closed.

I don't trade maggs for anybody case closed.

Why'd we even need a week to think about it? Here would be my conversation with the reds GM...

Red's GM: Hey I'll offer you Griffey for Ma--

Cali: No

Not that hard.

Guest hotsoxchick1

gotta go with cali on this one.... that phone call would have been short sweet and simple.....grif for maggs.. hell no ......i wouldnt even have to debate it for a week.....nor would the idea be the least bit entertaining.........we have to start picking someone to build this team around......maggs is that someone in my eyes.....kw has got to be doing some serious drugs if he was even thinking about this deal for anymore length of time over a second........jr has got to get rid of him now before he f***s this team up anymore than what its heading now.......

Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

I'd do Vlad for Maggs in a heartbeat. Vlad is the best hitter in the Majors right now, without body armor of course.

No way, Magz has 2 years left on his contract and already likes the Sox's enough to give them a discount. Vlad would leave after this season, I'd keep Magz.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I won't trade Maggs, but its interesting that we at least listened for a week about it.

Well, if by "interesting" you mean surprised that the White Sox would even entertain the offer, I'm not really sure it's that "interesting" considering KW has entertained similarly bad offers.

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I won't trade Maggs, but its interesting that we at least listened for a week about it.

Well, if by "interesting" you mean surprised that the White Sox would even entertain the offer, I'm not really sure it's that "interesting" considering KW has entertained similarly bad offers.

I'd do Griffey for Maggs.........IF we got Elmer Dessens..... and Joe Borchard was ready to hit 280 - 30 - 125

Considering neither of these things are current reality..... Cali's comments were right on.

Maggs = Prime of his Career, misses very few games......

JR. = Worst Slump of Career, misses numerous games....

I wouldnt trade Maggs for anyone, Vlad included. And KW said he thought about it for about five seconds, not a week. Im actually starting to like KW, he doesnt seem as incompetent as he did in days gone by. I like that he wants a big time guy and a middle class schmuck. I think Kenny will do some great things this offseason. Im changing my mood to honor him now...

Originally posted by theoldroman

Im actually starting to like KW, he doesnt seem as incompetent as he did in days gone by. I like that he wants a big time guy and a middle class schmuck. I think Kenny will do some great things this offseason. Im changing my mood to honor him now...

I understand where you're coming from here Roman..... but a few rumors that cannot be substantiated except for a thread started on CBS Sportsline does not make KW any more competent until the trade actually happens.

Well, cubkilla, the difference between Maggs and Vlad is so miniscule theres actually no point in this swap. But whatever, it hasnt been offered so theres no reason to think about it. But Maggs for Griffey no way.

And yes, a few rumors mean nothing but you know I was one of the biggest supporters of the Koch trade and I like the fact that he says hes going after the best. Maybe he wont do anything and if he does Ill just think of him as any other GM. But I find that unlikely. Hes sure to do something this offseason.

Well, cubkilla, the difference between Maggs and Vlad is so miniscule theres actually no point in this swap. But whatever, it hasnt been offered so theres no reason to think about it. But Maggs for Griffey no way. 

And yes, a few rumors mean nothing but you know I was one of the biggest supporters of the Koch trade and I like the fact that he says hes going after the best. Maybe he wont do anything and if he does Ill just think of him as any other GM. But I find that unlikely. Hes sure to do something this offseason.

I wish I shared your optimism Roman :)

Originally posted by CubKilla

I wouldnt trade Maggs for anyone, Vlad included. 

You're crazy. Vlad has a better arm, steals more bases, and is consistently among the ML's best in most offensive categories..... just like Maggs is. Vlad is the only guy I'd trade Maggs for.

I would trade him for this guy named Alex Rodriguez. I heard hes pretty good. :)