Top Prospects List, Offseason

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
I think part of it is they were surprised by the attendance erosion last year, they had to do something. It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers for the April games at Wrigley this year.

Well, first, if they were really surprised by the attendance erosion, they're fools, but I certainly can't rule that out.

But over-spending on an average pitcher doesn't fix attendance erosion unless it puts you into contention. Do you think that roster is even close to a .500 roster?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
Marc Hulet's top 100 list came out today on Fangraphs, and includes a HUGE surprise. Courtney Hawkins is at #63, but check out #64:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/f...00-prospects-2/

That is the first time I can ever recall seeing the White Sox minor league system dubbed "underrated."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
That is the first time I can ever recall seeing the White Sox minor league system dubbed "underrated."

I saw it in a BA article as well. That's twice.

I think often times, the overall ratings and evaluations of systems by the national writers is a lag behind reality. The system is improving, as most people now note, but I think it is more improved than putting it 27th or 28th. I see pretty dramatic improvement the past couple years. Similarly, systems that have been very good for a while, often see their prospects inflated for a while, before it is realized that the system has headed downhill.

I totally think our system is underrated. Look at Trayce Thompson for example. He put up a .809 OPS across three levels last year as a 21 year old, while playing an above average CF. Those who followed him closely know he showed tremendous improvement with the bat in the 2nd half of his stint Winston-Salem, which then carried over to his stay at Birmingham (.899 OPS in AA). Overall, he had a great year in terms of development, despite being promoted aggressively through the system.

However, I haven't seen one site give him consideration for top 100 prospect status. Unfortunately for him, until the Sox can successfully develop one of our raw, toolsy OF prospects, guys like Thompson will not receive the benefit of the doubt in these type of rankings. It seems like Hawkins is the lone exception to the rule and that's because he did so well right out of the gate and had such a high draft pedigree. Hopefully Thompson, Mitchell, & Walker can change that this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)

I think after last year a lot of the prospect people are having to re-evaluate, or at least hedge their bets. I think "underrated" is their way of covering their asses in case the Sox system sends the team more major leaguers from a last place system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
I think after last year a lot of the prospect people are having to re-evaluate, or at least hedge their bets. I think "underrated" is their way of covering their asses in case the Sox system sends the team more major leaguers from a last place system.

We've been underrated for years. We're not the best but we've had a solidly productive system at least since the 07 debacle. Some of it was used in trades, but successful trades.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
We've been underrated for years. We're not the best but we've had a solidly productive system at least since the 07 debacle. Some of it was used in trades, but successful trades.

For real.

Didn't someone here use Baseball Reference to show that the White Sox system players has had one of the highest WARs in the Majors? Yes, it includes people like Gio, but then just a bunch of "solid" guys.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
For real.

Didn't someone here use Baseball Reference to show that the White Sox system players has had one of the highest WARs in the Majors? Yes, it includes people like Gio, but then just a bunch of "solid" guys.

The statement coming into last year was that we've gotten the most WAR out of our drafts since 2009.

That was of course dominated by Beckham and Sale and by the fact that Posey was injured for that one year, but yeah, we're getting guys out of our minors and they're producing.

People only look at who are the studs you've produced, not the guys who round out baseball teams like back-of-the-rotation guys. With a couple exceptions, we aren't producing All-Star caliber players and the rankings pretty much are geared toward that. I love that we are producing solid ML player, but we still need to start producing more Chris Sales.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
People only look at who are the studs you've produced, not the guys who round out baseball teams like back-of-the-rotation guys. With a couple exceptions, we aren't producing All-Star caliber players and the rankings pretty much are geared toward that. I love that we are producing solid ML player, but we still need to start producing more Chris Sales.

About the only team I can think of that has produced more top of the rotation arms in the past 8-10 years is San Francisco. We can look at hindsight and pretend the Sox still get the 13th pick in 2010, but a top 3 of Gio, Sale, and McCarthy would look outstanding, and Dan Hudson would be on the mend on his way back.

The Sox are producing top of the rotation arms at a pretty regular clip. They need offensive players. Viciedo putting up a .744 OPS is one of the best OPS's a player has put up in his first full season in a long, long time, which is not a good thing.