Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm a little late to the party, but I started doing a low carb diet in the middle of May at 240 (I am 6'1"). I am now down to 190. It gets tough maintaining the diet while traveling for work, but it's worked and I can't complain at all. I try to stick below 30g per day. I only drink alcohol once or twice every two weeks and it's nothing but water besides that. Dropped from XXL to L and from 38s to 34s.

Great results, but that's incredibly extreme. I couldn't possibly live with those restrictions.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
~5.75"

Which is actually quite hilarious and a highlight of how flawed and bad the BMI scale is...it thinks I'm "overweight" with a BMI of 25.4 (overweight category), which is laughable.

5.75 inches????

:D

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
I'm a little late to the party, but I started doing a low carb diet in the middle of May at 240 (I am 6'1"). I am now down to 190. It gets tough maintaining the diet while traveling for work, but it's worked and I can't complain at all. I try to stick below 30g per day. I only drink alcohol once or twice every two weeks and it's nothing but water besides that. Dropped from XXL to L and from 38s to 34s.

Congrats!

I agree with what Y2HH said, but I think what you're doing is fine. Soon though, you'll probably want to ease up and hit a more realistic stride intended to maintain your current weight. Otherwise, odds are you'll go nuts eventually and start gorging yourself on Oreo Double Stuff's and not get off your couch ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Congrats!

I agree with what Y2HH said, but I think what you're doing is fine. Soon though, you'll probably want to ease up and hit a more realistic stride intended to maintain your current weight. Otherwise, odds are you'll go nuts eventually and start gorging yourself on Oreo Double Stuff's and not get off your couch ;)

My goal all along has been 185. Once I hit that I'll start to normal up and go for less than 100g a day.

I'm glad you guys bumped this thread...I was actually intending on coming to post a few things this morning.

So after taking several months off the workout routine in the spring (was having to take the dogs to the dog park for 1.5 hours every morning so THEY could exercise), I have been back in the saddle for about 10 weeks. Got a new home with a big yard so I don't have to take the dogs to the park anymore and can spend the time working out myself now.

Anyways, my body bounces back pretty quickly so I was back in pretty decent shape after just a few weeks, but the last few weeks I have really cleaned up the diet and have seen some pretty quick results. Now I am into the strengthening/muscle building component of my routine though, and so I need to dial up my protein intake a bit. I don't eat much red meat and so that leaves me with pork, chicken, or fish. I'm getting tired of pork and chicken, and good fish (I like albacore or yellowfin tuna steaks) is pretty expensive. Additionally, I'm sort of toying with the idea of going to a vegetarian protein source because I am sort of an animal rights person, and it doesn't sit well with me that I am eating all this meat.

Should I switch over to a protein powder? Or balance that with some tofu or tempeh as well? Any other suggestions?

Jake, Sqwert, Reddy, your thoughts are appreciated, as well as anyone else who might have some good tips.

Thanks in advance. I will hang up and listen. :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm glad you guys bumped this thread...I was actually intending on coming to post a few things this morning.

So after taking several months off the workout routine in the spring (was having to take the dogs to the dog park for 1.5 hours every morning so THEY could exercise), I have been back in the saddle for about 10 weeks. Got a new home with a big yard so I don't have to take the dogs to the park anymore and can spend the time working out myself now.

Anyways, my body bounces back pretty quickly so I was back in pretty decent shape after just a few weeks, but the last few weeks I have really cleaned up the diet and have seen some pretty quick results. Now I am into the strengthening/muscle building component of my routine though, and so I need to dial up my protein intake a bit. I don't eat much red meat and so that leaves me with pork, chicken, or fish. I'm getting tired of pork and chicken, and good fish (I like albacore or yellowfin tuna steaks) is pretty expensive. Additionally, I'm sort of toying with the idea of going to a vegetarian protein source because I am sort of an animal rights person, and it doesn't sit well with me that I am eating all this meat.

Should I switch over to a protein powder? Or balance that with some tofu or tempeh as well? Any other suggestions?

Jake, Sqwert, Reddy, your thoughts are appreciated, as well as anyone else who might have some good tips.

Yea Y2HH, stay out of this! :P

It wouldnt hurt to add some protein supplements to that diet if you are really dedicated to building muscle mass. If you arent eating animal proteins its definitely a good idea.

Not all proteins are created equally...as none can touch the muscle building ability of milk/whey protein, egg protein, animal, etc...vegetable proteins work, but not nearly as well. You also don't have to overdo it with the protein intake...a lot of people blow way past what's necessary.

The biggest question is, do you have a hard time packing on muscle? That's the most important question of them all when it comes too advising someone on protein intake, and what type. If you don't have an issue, like me, you probably don't need to do much.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
My goal all along has been 185. Once I hit that I'll start to normal up and go for less than 100g a day.

I'm 6'1" and went from 212 to 180 a few years ago and never looked back. I'm up to like 187 but it's muscle gains. Now I just maintain (ie, drink all the time).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Not all proteins are created equally...as none can touch the muscle building ability of milk/whey protein, egg protein, animal, etc...vegetable proteins work, but not nearly as well. You also don't have to overdo it with the protein intake...a lot of people blow way past what's necessary.

The biggest question is, do you have a hard time packing on muscle? That's the most important question of them all when it comes too advising someone on protein intake, and what type. If you don't have an issue, like me, you probably don't need to do much.

I'm not so much concerned about "packing on muscle" as much as providing enough protein to my body as necessary due to the increased strain/damage to my muscles as a result of entering the phase of the workout that focuses more on strength building.

So ultimately, I'm looking at two things; looking for ways to add some protein intake, but also looking to change some of the sources of my protein intake.

Sounds like a combination of protein powders and vegetable-based proteins might do the job.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm not so much concerned about "packing on muscle" as much as providing enough protein to my body as necessary due to the increased strain/damage to my muscles as a result of entering the phase of the workout that focuses more on strength building.

So ultimately, I'm looking at two things; looking for ways to add some protein intake, but also looking to change some of the sources of my protein intake.

Sounds like a combination of protein powders and vegetable-based proteins might do the job.

Here are a few options I use.

The ultimate: 3.5 pounds, zero sugar, 30g of protein, but pricey

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Pl...+Whey+Chocolate

Step down: 5 pounds, small sugar, 24g of protein

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-St...d+Standard+Whey

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)

what Y2HH said is the old school, outdated way of thinking. you can get plenty of protein from veggie sources such as pea protein powder, hemp, quinoa, tofu, all sorts of great stuff.

and a complete protein is a complete protein whether it comes from a cow or a plant.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Here are a few options I use.

The ultimate: 3.5 pounds, zero sugar, 30g of protein, but pricey

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Pl...+Whey+Chocolate

Step down: 5 pounds, small sugar, 24g of protein

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-St...d+Standard+Whey

f*** that, go for this:

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx...&lang=en-US

Stuff is delicious, and makes awesome overnight oats (props to Steve for that recommendation), I eat that stuff like 3 days a week now for breakfast.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
what Y2HH said is the old school, outdated way of thinking. you can get plenty of protein from veggie sources such as pea protein powder, hemp, quinoa, tofu, all sorts of great stuff.

and a complete protein is a complete protein whether it comes from a cow or a plant.

For 45lb rabbits, maybe. And any sports players you try to show me following this diet also follow a strict regimen of hgh and roids to compensate. :P

No, not all proteins are the same, whether you like it or not, and there is no science that backs such a claim. Certain protein sources are more easily absorbed and used than others, and thus better for the application of muscle gain.

Also, soy is the closest in comparable quality to animal base, and even it's not a "complete" protein source.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

If you are looking for non animal based alternatives, go with soy based proteins, they're the closest in comparison. Also, odds are that as a healthy adult, you're probably getting enough protein already.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
If you are looking for non animal based alternatives, go with soy based proteins, they're the closest in comparison. Also, odds are that as a healthy adult, you're probably getting enough protein already.

Thanks!

I ordered some of the protein powder I used to use, Muscle Milk Light, and I generally add some skim milk and a banana to it, maybe with some coffee grounds to wake myself up a bit before work.

The fiancée and I are trying out some different dinner recipes with red meat substitutes, such as eggplant. Picked up some albacore tuna and swordfish steaks yesterday.

As we've talked about at length though, allowing myself to cheat a few meals here and there, just to keep myself sane.

So far, feeling great, seeing good results, plenty of energy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Thanks!

I ordered some of the protein powder I used to use, Muscle Milk Light, and I generally add some skim milk and a banana to it, maybe with some coffee grounds to wake myself up a bit before work.

The fiancée and I are trying out some different dinner recipes with red meat substitutes, such as eggplant. Picked up some albacore tuna and swordfish steaks yesterday.

As we've talked about at length though, allowing myself to cheat a few meals here and there, just to keep myself sane.

So far, feeling great, seeing good results, plenty of energy.

sorry shack but HH is way off about this.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
For 45lb rabbits, maybe. And any sports players you try to show me following this diet also follow a strict regimen of hgh and roids to compensate. :P

No, not all proteins are the same, whether you like it or not, and there is no science that backs such a claim. Certain protein sources are more easily absorbed and used than others, and thus better for the application of muscle gain.

Also, soy is the closest in comparable quality to animal base, and even it's not a "complete" protein source.

nope. there are plenty of vegan athletes and bodybuilders who don't use roids and hgh. sorry to burst your bubble.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
sorry shack but HH is way off about this.

Well I'm not really doing what he's suggesting, just thanking him for his input.

I basically made the decision to eat more fish and less red/white meat, and to go back to my old protein shakes.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Well I'm not really doing what he's suggesting, just thanking him for his input.

I basically made the decision to eat more fish and less red/white meat, and to go back to my old protein shakes.

yeah that's not a bad idea, but I'll be honest that there's really no 100% best way to do it, since fish has plenty of issues as well. farmed fish has a s***ty omega 3/6 ratio, and wild fish now has higher mercury levels than ever.

red meat is fine if it's pastured, it's the factory farmed stuff that'll kill ya.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)

Eating sensible portions of these things in just about any combination is fine. How much you need to eat very much depends on your current weight, and your goals.

There is an entire "health industry" out there designed to tell you that everything you're doing is wrong, and you should buy some combination of expensive "super foods", instead. They'll tell you they've been known to cure cancer, too. ;) They will usually tell you that you need MORE protein than you actually need, and that you need to get it from very specific -- and often very expensive sources -- when none of this is backed by science. This goes hand in hand with the vitamin industry, which to this day has never been able to prove vitamin supplements do anything more than making a healthy adults urine very expensive.

I've been at this, for better or worse, for almost 15 years now. Through times of being hardcore, and times of being lazy. I've gone through all the supplements, vitamins, shakes, powders, and fads you can think of. Including the now illegal ones such as ephedrine. I was convinced that it all worked wonders while I was wasting my money on it, because it was justification for wasting my money. ;) Out of all of them, the one that is now illegal actually worked, and it allowed me to work out harder for a much longer period of time (ephedrine).

It's not my money, if you feel like you need to drink 2 protein shakes a day along side everything else you're eating, have at it. There are people that actually DO need to do this, because the foods they eat lack protein. Like Rock said in a post above, if you're not eating much in the way of animal proteins, it's probably a good idea to supplement with some shakes...but if you are, I see no need.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)

Reddy is sadly trying to discredit me with nothing more than saying "neener neener", when you can easily browse the web for information on supplements and proteins, and you'll find that actual science backs everything I've said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

"A complete protein source is one that provides all of the essential amino acids. You may also hear these sources called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods; for example, meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, and cheese are considered complete protein sources."

While soy, and a combination of other plant based proteins CAN be used together to form a complete protein, they cannot do so on their own, nor as easily. While this makes such an alternative possible, it's also a much more expensive proposition. Seeing as that you're not a vegan or a vegetarian, I see no reason to give you advice based on such restrictions.

I spent enough money on this crap over the years to know...and if I can save anyone from making that same mistake I'll do so. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
yeah that's not a bad idea, but I'll be honest that there's really no 100% best way to do it, since fish has plenty of issues as well. farmed fish has a s***ty omega 3/6 ratio, and wild fish now has higher mercury levels than ever.

red meat is fine if it's pastured, it's the factory farmed stuff that'll kill ya.

I'm not a fan of eating red meat. It's just ridiculous how much resources go into the production of one pound of red meat. Don't get me wrong, I grilled up some steaks 3 weeks ago or so, and they were great, but that's what it will be for me...a once in a month type thing.

I am accustomed to eating a lot of chicken, but frankly, chicken in general just grosses me out.

I am trying fish...what I have bought so far has been wild caught, so the mercury is an issue, but it's a lesser of two evils kind of thing for me at this juncture.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
Reddy is sadly trying to discredit me with nothing more than saying "neener neener", when you can easily browse the web for information on supplements and proteins, and you'll find that actual science backs everything I've said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

"A complete protein source is one that provides all of the essential amino acids. You may also hear these sources called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods; for example, meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, and cheese are considered complete protein sources."

While soy, and a combination of other plant based proteins CAN be used together to form a complete protein, they cannot do so on their own, nor as easily. While this makes such an alternative possible, it's also a much more expensive proposition. Seeing as that you're not a vegan or a vegetarian, I see no reason to give you advice based on such restrictions.

I spent enough money on this crap over the years to know...and if I can save anyone from making that same mistake I'll do so. ;)

It's also incredibly time consuming. I don't have time to try and combine thirty-seven different plant-based proteins to try and make them equivalent to animal proteins right now. Which is why I just said the hell with it and went with the fish and the protein shakes. I really don't eat much meat. I generally eat massive quantities of fruits and vegetables for lunch, and then try to have some kind of lean protein with grains and vegetables for dinner. I drink a protein shake after my workouts, which occur 3-5 times a week, depending on the week.