Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to get some ideas for meals in this thread.

One of my favorite snacks to make:

English muffin pizzas

Take halves of whole wheat english muffins, put on pizza sauce (store or homemade), sprinkle mozzarella/romano, and add some form of protein (grilled chicken, turkey pepperoni, or turkey italian sausage). Bake in over/toaster over until golden brown.

Usually about 100 calories per muffin half, tastes really good (if spiced right), satisfies cravings and is decently filling for a snack.

I'd much rather eat something like this compared to a near 200 calorie granola bar.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I'd love to get some ideas for meals in this thread.

One of my favorite snacks to make:

English muffin pizzas

Take halves of whole wheat english muffins, put on pizza sauce (store or homemade), sprinkle mozzarella/romano, and add some form of protein (grilled chicken, turkey pepperoni, or turkey italian sausage). Bake in over/toaster over until golden brown.

Usually about 100 calories per muffin half, tastes really good (if spiced right), satisfies cravings and is decently filling for a snack.

I'd much rather eat something like this compared to a near 200 calorie granola bar.

Granola bars are one of the biggest lies ever sold to people as health food. Even intelligent and otherwise healthy people never bother to look at the fact that most granola bars are about equal to eating a snickers bar in terms of calories, fat and sugar.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Granola bars are one of the biggest lies ever sold to people as health food. Even intelligent and otherwise healthy people never bother to look at the fact that most granola bars are about equal to eating a snickers bar in terms of calories, fat and sugar.

But iron and fiber!

Yea it's ridiculous, the only bars I eat now are the high fiber ones, and I only have those rarely (for more than just nutrition reasons).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
When it comes to eating pre-packaged bars like that, the only ones I will eat are Cliff Bars. There's a bit of a cardboard taste, but they aren't bad and are generally pretty good for you (though they do consist of a lot of sugar all the same)

I eat those occasionally for a quick breakfast, they at least have a decent amount of protein in them.

I've been trying to cook breakfast the night before so I can just grab it and eat at work. I typically have some variation of this:

Oatmeal or Whole Wheat English Muffin

2 eggs, 1 egg white (fried but just with cooking spray).

2 slices turkey bacon

Sriracha

I've been trying to think of some healthy meals that I can bring to work, I used to bring brown rice and grilled chicken and would add something like zero calorie buffalo sauce and black pepper, but it got boring. I don't feel like spending the money on soup and salad at the cafeteria anymore, so any suggestions are welcome.

Anyone with half a brain knows to shop protein bars!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
When it comes to eating pre-packaged bars like that, the only ones I will eat are Cliff Bars. There's a bit of a cardboard taste, but they aren't bad and are generally pretty good for you (though they do consist of a lot of sugar all the same)

Balance bars or CLIF Builders bars have better stats - more protein, fewer calories, less bulls***. The regular CLIF bars are actually kinda s***ty (but obviously better than say a granola or a useless Fiber One bar).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

so... while you're right and mass-market granola bars are awful, that pizza muffin thing ain't too great either. ;)

but at least that way you KNOW what you're eating vs the lies on the granola bar wrappers. haha

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
Clif Builder Bar Choco Mint is delicious

SO much sugar. I've stopped eating them for that reason. 20g a pop? When your daily max should be something like 55? Yikes

There are these new ones called Good N' Natural that you can find basically anywhere, which are all whole foods smashed together. 235 cal and only 12g of sugar. Just 10g of protein, but if you can't make up for that elsewhere you've got bigger problems. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
so... while you're right and mass-market granola bars are awful, that pizza muffin thing ain't too great either. ;)

but at least that way you KNOW what you're eating vs the lies on the granola bar wrappers. haha

But when looking to satisfy a craving for pizza, that's about the healthiest I've seen.

So I've been doing this experiment the last couple days - sprouting some chickpeas - and this morning after soaking for about 18 hours there were little sprouts coming out of the beans. I subsequently turned them into a bunch of hummus and falafel batter, both of which taste awesome - no cooking required. Just the sprouting, then plopping everything in a food processor.

Yes it takes longer, but it saves you time, AND by sprouting the beans, you bring out more nutrients than they'd otherwise contain, and don't destroy any of them by cooking.

Pretty flippin' sweet.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
haha truth.

Obviously it isn't the real thing, but it actually tastes a lot better than you would think, especially if you spice it right (oregano, red pepper, and garlic powder). This was actually a recipe I tweaked from the Insanity recipe book.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
So I've been doing this experiment the last couple days - sprouting some chickpeas - and this morning after soaking for about 18 hours there were little sprouts coming out of the beans. I subsequently turned them into a bunch of hummus and falafel batter, both of which taste awesome - no cooking required. Just the sprouting, then plopping everything in a food processor.

Yes it takes longer, but it saves you time, AND by sprouting the beans, you bring out more nutrients than they'd otherwise contain, and don't destroy any of them by cooking.

Pretty flippin' sweet.

I need to get a food processor to make homemade hummus, it's one of my favorite foods.

What do you eat it with? Veggies or pita bread? When I can find it, I buy Flatout bread as a Pita replacement.