witesoxfan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Ok, enough reading about this...have you or can you make a post that gives step by step instructions on how to do this?

Agreed. I feel like he's saying just put all the s*** in a bowl or something and it's ready...but there has to be more than that, right? Maybe it is that simple though.

so the quaker 90 calorie granola bars are bad? :( i eat two a day as a snack. so what different bar can i eat? or string cheese and yogurt instead? and what about Smart Ones?

>not looking for a meal replacement bar, just a snack bar

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
While it's not as bad for you as some alternatives, it's still NOT nearly as good for you as others. And WebMD is probably more credible than whatever pro natural foods website, backed by no scientific data, tells you about Coconut oil. Then again, I don't really need WebMD to show you the facts:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-o...ht-loss/AN01899

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealt...375_Article.jsp

http://blog.heartsecrets.org/?p=629

"The jury is still very much out on coconut oil. Multi-centric large randomized trials should be conducted with coconut oil to confirm or discard the suggestion that it can reduce body weight and cholesterol levels."

"There are very few studies that actually look at the effect of coconut oil on the human heart. Here’s a rundown on three scientific studies on coconut oil.

First, Brazilian researchers found women who used coconut oil had higher HDL (good cholesterol) levels than women who used soybean oil. Also, British researchers studies hamsters with clogged arteries and found that those fed olive oil had cleaner arteries than those fed coconut oil. Finally, New Zealand researchers fed volunteers with high cholesterol three test diets rich in butter, coconut oil and safflower oil. They found LDL, or “bad” cholesterol levels, were lowest in folks eating safflower oil, moderate in those eating coconut oil, and highest in those eating butter."

Any/all current science claiming Coconut Oil is somehow good for you is backed by scant, if any evidence. Also, and most importantly, only virgin Coconut Oil meets these hardly studied conclusions.

...and last but not least, from Wiki, with references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

"As with dairy and meat products, the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2] World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada[6] recommend limiting the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat."

While I agree that the US Government isn't always correct about what's good or bad, they do have some evidence backing their claims. But when it comes to this, you're also ignoring Canadian, British, WHO and ICoN recommendations. Not to mention the fact that a single tablespoon of it contains almost 120 calories.

i gotta admit, you lose credibility by citing the FDA......

my LDL is 37. I use about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil/day.

obviously anecdotal evidence means nothing, but cultures that subsist on coconut-rich diets are invariably healthier than we are. that said, they also don't eat processed foods. unfortunately it's tough to do real scientific studies with food given that there will ALWAYS be extra variables. I look at Japanese, Caribbean, Latin American, Australian, Indochinese cultures etc as my guide, more than I listen to the american medical machine.

give me a tinfoil hat if you want, but it works for me. :)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
so the quaker 90 calorie granola bars are bad? :( i eat two a day as a snack. so what different bar can i eat? or string cheese and yogurt instead? and what about Smart Ones?

just grab something that's lower in sugar and doesn't have things like high fructose corn syrup.

low fat string cheese is good, yogurt is typically misleading in the same way as granola bars where it's usually made with crappy ingredients but labeled as "healthy". Green yogurt is better, but if you like regular yogurt just go low fat and again, skip anything with HFCS

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
just grab something that's lower in sugar and doesn't have things like high fructose corn syrup.

low fat string cheese is good, yogurt is typically misleading in the same way as granola bars where it's usually made with crappy ingredients but labeled as "healthy". Green yogurt is better, but if you like regular yogurt just go low fat and again, skip anything with HFCS

i was looking on walmart.com they have a whole bunch but all seem to have around 7g of sugar :/ i guess ill check at the store tomarrow,thanks

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
i gotta admit, you lose credibility by citing the FDA......

my LDL is 37. I use about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil/day.

obviously anecdotal evidence means nothing, but cultures that subsist on coconut-rich diets are invariably healthier than we are. that said, they also don't eat processed foods. unfortunately it's tough to do real scientific studies with food given that there will ALWAYS be extra variables. I look at Japanese, Caribbean, Latin American, Australian, Indochinese cultures etc as my guide, more than I listen to the american medical machine.

give me a tinfoil hat if you want, but it works for me. :)

If it was just the FDA, I'd most likely ignore it...but in this case, it's not. I'd attribute those foreign diets to the fact that they eat way less than we do, and as you stated, far less processed foods, before I'd attribute it to Coconut Oil. I'm merely pointing out that in place of Coconut Oil, there are far healthier oils you can substitute...

Also, I'd like to point out they're healthier than we are on average because of choice...and Americans, IMO, largely choose to be unhealthy. And I'm not talking those with a lack of education...I mean people we know in our everyday lives, otherwise intelligent people. Hell, half the time they even make mention of the fact they eat like crap but never do anything to change it. It's just more excuses IMO.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)

This somewhat depends on your current state of health/fitness/shape. Are you in good shape/good health? If so, these bars probably aren't hurting you much. If not...look for alternatives. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
If it was just the FDA, I'd most likely ignore it...but in this case, it's not. I'd attribute those foreign diets to the fact that they eat way less than we do, and as you stated, far less processed foods, before I'd attribute it to Coconut Oil. I'm merely pointing out that in place of Coconut Oil, there are far healthier oils you can substitute...

Also, I'd like to point out they're healthier than we are on average because of choice...and Americans, IMO, largely choose to be unhealthy. And I'm not talking those with a lack of education...I mean people we know in our everyday lives, otherwise intelligent people. Hell, half the time they even make mention of the fact they eat like crap but never do anything to change it. It's just more excuses IMO.

yeah agreed.

re: oils, what do you feel is healthier and why?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
i was looking on walmart.com they have a whole bunch but all seem to have around 7g of sugar :/ i guess ill check at the store tomarrow,thanks

7g of sugar won't kill you, but it depends on the overall profile of the bar. like... 7g of sugar in 100 cal is a lot different than 7g of sugar in 300 cal ya know?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
yeah agreed.

You can find lists of oils, the amounts of fats (and kinds) they contain along with calorie count, also with smoke point temps so you know which to use depending on how hot you need to cook. Mostly, all tropical oils will be heavy in saturated fats, other oils will be higher in poly and mono unsaturated. I'm on my phone now but there is a website for it, when I get a chance I'll find it.

The thing is, coconut oil tastes great, but so do most things that are high in sat fat. It's still better then cooking in lard or butter, but I'm not sure how much that means.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
i think you're confusing TDEE with BMR

Yes I am LOL

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
Chipotle is the healthiest fast food there is. Free range chicken, grass fed beef, organic local veggies. Good stuff.

only problem is that sodium content so... ya know... going ALL chipotle may not be the best idea. :P

I wouldn't stress too much about sodium without an existing condition unless you don't like the bloat or something.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
coconut oil is high in saturated fat but it's GOOD saturated fat. I use it every day. WebMD isn't really the greatest source of information. (see the thread in the buster about the gov't and major medical not understanding nutrition)

Yeah, I doubt anyone would have too much coconut oil. I advocate it big time. It's not perfect, but it's also nothing like other sat fats -- that said, you need sat fats anyway.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
7g of sugar won't kill you, but it depends on the overall profile of the bar. like... 7g of sugar in 100 cal is a lot different than 7g of sugar in 300 cal ya know?

yea makes sense. i think im going to go with string cheese lol and as far as kind bars, i just googled them. i dont really like fruit :ph34r: lol

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
This somewhat depends on your current state of health/fitness/shape. Are you in good shape/good health? If so, these bars probably aren't hurting you much. If not...look for alternatives. ;)

im ok, i recently had a baby and am looking to shed those pounds.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Ok, enough reading about this...have you or can you make a post that gives step by step instructions on how to do this?

FINE

I prep my and my wife's lunches (day of food) the night before - here are overnight oats.

• 150g greek yogurt (we just buy it by the tub, 0% or 2%, whatever you prefer - the 2% obviously has some necessary fat)
  • half-scoop CHOCOLATE protein powder (can be substituted with vanilla, but chocolate is the bomb
  • packet oatmeal (she likes original, I like strawberries and cream, use whatever)
  • 6-8 frozen berries (I go with strawberries - frozen actually work well bc as it melts it adds moisture to the oats OVERNIGHT)
  • Almond milk - use as much or as little as you want to, creates thick or soupy deliciousness - I'd say I normally add half a cup or so?)

That's it - let this s*** become one overnight, in the am mix it together and devour. It's really a delicious, healthy, fully-loaded way to start the day.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
FINE

I prep my and my wife's lunches (day of food) the night before - here are overnight oats.

• 150g greek yogurt (we just buy it by the tub, 0% or 2%, whatever you prefer - the 2% obviously has some necessary fat)
  • half-scoop CHOCOLATE protein powder (can be substituted with vanilla, but chocolate is the bomb
  • packet oatmeal (she likes original, I like strawberries and cream, use whatever)
  • 6-8 frozen berries (I go with strawberries - frozen actually work well bc as it melts it adds moisture to the oats OVERNIGHT)
  • Almond milk - use as much or as little as you want to, creates thick or soupy deliciousness - I'd say I normally add half a cup or so?)

That's it - let this s*** become one overnight, in the am mix it together and devour. It's really a delicious, healthy, fully-loaded way to start the day.

tumblr_mcrj7tC2kt1qf7t4o.jpg

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:14 PM)
yea makes sense. i think im going to go with string cheese lol and as far as kind bars, i just googled them. i dont really like fruit :ph34r: lol

im ok, i recently had a baby and am looking to shed those pounds.

1) congrats!

2) do you have an exercise plan on top of trying to eat a bit better?

Me and my lady have made a simple variation of the overnight oats before: Cup of rolled oats (either bulk or bob's Red Mill variety) mashed up banana, teaspoon of vanilla, and a handful of Chia Seeds all drowned in almond milk.

Then we will add some agave in the morning or add some fresh blueberries or strawberries.

Haven't had it in a while though. Might have to hop back on the band wagon haha

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
FINE

I guess what I don't understand is where this "overnight" stuff comes in. If it's instant oatmeal, can't this be done...instantly? Are we supposed to mix all of this stuff together and let it sit in a bowl, mixed together, in the refrigerator all night long? Do we cover it?

I swear to GOD if I find you're leaving out instructions or ingredients and this sucks...

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom for the missing overnight oatmeal instructions or certain ingredients, I can tell you I don't have money...but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me the missing instructions and ingredients now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will f***ing kill you.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
yeah agreed.

This Wiki page has a list of cooking oils, their sat fat content to mono/poly, their smoke points, etc...there is a better one out there that has calorie count per tablespoon, and other information, but I can no longer find it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 06:36 AM)
I guess what I don't understand is where this "overnight" stuff comes in. If it's instant oatmeal, can't this be done...instantly? Are we supposed to mix all of this stuff together and let it sit in a bowl, mixed together, in the refrigerator all night long? Do we cover it?

I swear to GOD if I find you're leaving out instructions or ingredients and this sucks...

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom for the missing overnight oatmeal instructions or certain ingredients, I can tell you I don't have money...but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me the missing instructions and ingredients now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will f***ing kill you.

Heh.

Leaving them overnight lets the oats soften. You mix it in the AM. You're not adding any heat, so instant or not, the oats aren't going to be prepped properly immediately. The liquid from the almond milk and the frozen berries works wonders.

I only use instant oats because it's easy serving sizes, but you can use raw or steel cut and they work fine, too.

I like my oats drier than most folks so I don't think overnight would work out for me. Anything that is soggy turns me off so my oats are usually more like a paste than a soup, if that makes sense. Most people think I'm crazy when they see the way I eat my oats.