Buying a car help

GoodAsGould

A lot of car dealers now have salespeople dedicated to Internet shopping. If you are pretty sure of the make and model you want, check out those dealer's websites and ask for a quote for the car you want. Some of them even have unique stock numbers, so if you were so inclined, you could hit the dealer up on a Sunday when they are closed to check out the options and sticker price on the cars in stock.

I agree with the poster who said NOT to mention that your old ride was totalled and you might be in a bind to act quickly. Last December, our old car was in bad shape and failed the air test, which you now need to pass to get a renewal license plate sticker. We were not about to pour more dough into this POS car, so we went shopping for a new one. Keep in mind that this was during the last week in December, and the pressure was on THEM to make another sale in calendar year 2011. We checked out cars in person on Friday, 12/29/2011. I eventually had Web prices from two dealers, and one of them called me Saturday morning (12/30/2011) to see what it would take to close the deal. I mentioned that the other dealer had the same car on their website for $300 less, and I gave this salesman the dealer and website stock number to verify. He called me back maybe 20 mins later and knocked another $500 off the price we talked about.

The only other advice I might offer is NOT to bluff and say to dealer Y that you've got a better price from dealer X, unless you really do. They might tell you to take that deal.... Ulp! Which would suck if you aren't in a time position to continue the hunt.

SMO

;)

Edited by StillMissOzzie

For better or worse I ended up leasing a new Camry se. My current job doesn't pay particularly well so was able to get a new car with affordable payments(350) and hopefully by end of the lease I'm in position to afford a car. The good thing is my credit rating was higher than I thought and this should only help it.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
For better or worse I ended up leasing a new Camry se. My current job doesn't pay particularly well so was able to get a new car with affordable payments(350) and hopefully by end of the lease I'm in position to afford a car. The good thing is my credit rating was higher than I thought and this should only help it.

Don't sell yourself short. The Camry is a very nice vehicle and it's been my experience that Toyota in general has been very reliable...(the problems they had a couple years ago didn't affect me or anyone I knew)

Hell Camry is a nice car. When you get about six months from the end of the lease check the current value versus the buyout. Sometimes you are sitting pretty especially if the mileage is low and the car is in excellent shape.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
Just keep the car in great condition and DON'T go over your mileage allotment.

I knew someone who was so worried about going over the mileage he would rent a car for longer trips. When I asked what he paid per mile it was more than what his lease would have cost.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Hell Camry is a nice car. When you get about six months from the end of the lease check the current value versus the buyout. Sometimes you are sitting pretty especially if the mileage is low and the car is in excellent shape.

Unfortunately Illinois sales tax laws blow when it comes to leasing cars and buying the car after the lease (you essentially pay full price sales tax twice).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
Unfortunately Illinois sales tax laws blow when it comes to leasing cars and buying the car after the lease (you essentially pay full price sales tax twice).

I was in Illinois when I did it. I was a few thousand dollars to the good, so it still made sense. I understood the reasoning, the leasing company paid the first tax and I paid the second. But common sense indicates that the consumer pays it twice. Once in the lease payment, then again if they buy it and resell it or keep it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
I was in Illinois when I did it. I was a few thousand dollars to the good, so it still made sense. I understood the reasoning, the leasing company paid the first tax and I paid the second. But common sense indicates that the consumer pays it twice. Once in the lease payment, then again if they buy it and resell it or keep it.

I get the reasoning, but common sense should indicate that you aren't purchasing the vehicle when leasing so your taxes shouldn't be the same as actually buying the vehicle. Tax a portion of it, I totally understand that, but full msrp for a 2-3 year lease is ridiculous imo.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
I get the reasoning, but common sense should indicate that you aren't purchasing the vehicle when leasing so your taxes shouldn't be the same as actually buying the vehicle. Tax a portion of it, I totally understand that, but full msrp for a 2-3 year lease is ridiculous imo.

The company that you are leasing from buys the car from the dealer. So full price should be paid. What they charge the consumer is I guess negotiable. Remember the leasee is not "buying" the vehicle, the lease company is. The lease company is guaranteed the interest and wins if the residual value is greater than what was contracted and you turn it in to them. In simpler terms, if you agree to buy $12,000 of a $16,000 vehicle the lease company is hoping the car is worth more than $4,000 when you return it.

The second tax payment should be based on what the car is worth at the time of the second purchase as is any used car. I'd be surprised if Illinois charges tax based on the new car price for a used car. That could mean that someone would buy a used car for $200 and owe $750 in taxes? Texas uses either the actual price if you buy from a dealer or fair market value (FMV) if it is a private party sale. Which sometimes sucks. The last truck I bought I paid a couple thousand less than the FMV but paid tax on the higher amount. Too many people will lie about the sale price.