NBA/NFL age limits

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
But that's just it and that's how the NBA thinks. It's their private league and they can do with it what they want. You made a point about age discrimination - they are private. There are clubs out there that still don't allow African Americans. The US government age discriminates for the presidency. You can do what you want.

The NBA, of course, does not discriminate against black people anymore because they do care about marketing reasons. Sex discrimination is illegal, but the NBA doesn't allow women to play. They have their own set of rules and don't answer to you, to the NCAA, or to Nerlens Noel.

Steve,

Even private employers cant discriminate based on race/religion/sex.

http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/coverage_private.cfm

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
That "marketing hype machine" only exists because said machine is making $$$$ off of these athletes, $$$$ which the athletes get none of. Why should various entities get to make a bunch of money by selling jerseys with my name on it and TV and radio contracts to watch me play while I can't even get a free lunch from my (millionaire) coach?

(BTW being wrong about a premise isn't a fallacy, it's just being wrong

/pedantry)

Well, I disagree. The marketing hype machine chews out player after player. Players come through, the system remains. Fans are fans of the school first, the players second. Plus, kids go to college now despite having available alternatives to get paid because they know it's still the better route to get paid big later.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
That would make the most sense, which of cousre means it's not going to happen.

Potential issues there e.g. boosters signing kids to "endorsement deals" for way more than reasonable amounts, but why shouldn't D-Rose have been able to sign with Adidas in college?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
What if an 8 year old alien from Krypton came here and wanted to play basketball and was physically mature enough to do so?

I'd keep Lex Luthor away from him. No need to corrupt the kid any more than he's going to be already.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
You know, it wouldn't even have to be salary from the school or from boosters. You could just let these kids sign endorsement deals like pro athletes.

I could be talked into something like that, since there wouldn't be a requirement that the school/university has to pay them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
You are the king of unrealistic examples.

You can disagree with my argument, but as I said, its merely because you selfishly want the NBA product to be good. And quite frankly dont care about discrimination or any other laws that the US has created to protect individuals from this type of treatment.

That is fine, but like I said, under your theory it would be okay to ban white people as long as the NBA was better off.

I disagree.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Steve,

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

So how does the NBA get away with it? No women, no 18 year olds.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Well, I disagree. The marketing hype machine chews out player after player. Players come through, the system remains. Fans are fans of the school first, the players second. Plus, kids go to college now despite having available alternatives to get paid because they know it's still the better route to get paid big later.

Pretty sure there wouldn't be much to be a fan of if there weren't actual players on the field. Why do the most successful teams with the best recruits generate more revenue than schools with s***ty teams?

That there exists some alternative to the NCAA doesn't justify the NCAA refusing to share any of the revenues with the actual athletes or even allowing those athletes to earn money from other sources.

Steve,

So that law is basically saying that a woman can play in the NBA, and a man can play in the WNBA?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Potential issues there e.g. boosters signing kids to "endorsement deals" for way more than reasonable amounts, but why shouldn't D-Rose have been able to sign with Adidas in college?

Because then we have the direct link of X school is Adidas school, D Rose went to Adidas school.

Now we have the behind the scenes "X is going to be a Nike client, X went to Oregon a Nike school."

Steve,

IIRC if you're an employer with less than 15 employees you can.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
You can disagree with my argument, but as I said, its merely because you selfishly want the NBA product to be good.

While true that I adore the NBA and want the product to be "good", I really respect the right of the NBA to do what it wants with its private league.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
So that law is basically saying that a woman can play in the NBA, and a man can play in the WNBA?

I believe the NBA would have to hire a woman if she was good enough, but she would have to prove that their not hiring her was gender motivated. I am not 100% sure about the WNBA hiring men. The law is way more flexible about men being screwed over.

:)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)

We finally found a leauge where Kwame could dominate.

48/35 with 23 blocks per game. First overall pick in next year's WNBA Fantasy Leagues!

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Because then we have the direct link of X school is Adidas school, D Rose went to Adidas school.

Now we have the behind the scenes "X is going to be a Nike client, X went to Oregon a Nike school."

So that's a factor in where a person chooses to go, just one more on the hundreds of others. There's not an inherent bias towards big schools there, though. Schools big and small with use Adidas, others will use Nike etc.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
In this fantasy world where NCAA is allowing payment, I presume you can find that type of money.

How much is a player like Rose worth to a school for 1 year? It would be interesting if its open season.

"Fantasy world" is the right term to use. The payout for making the Final Four is like 250k. Obviously there's TV money, gate receipts and merchandise sales, but I seriously doubt it's enough to sustain that kind of model, especially if you also have to continuously spend on upgrading your facilities and fill out the rest of the roster. The boosters are probably your best bet, but how many schools have enough people to willingly flush north of $10 million per season down the toilet? I also picked the low end of your number, $50 million is just absurd.

There's far more money in football based on bowl payouts and much bigger stadiums, but there are also far more roster spots and it's less obvious who the studs are when they're still in high school (for just two examples, Andrew Luck and Johnny Manziel were both 3-star recruits).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
While true that I adore the NBA and want the product to be "good", I really respect the right of the NBA to do what it wants with its private league.

The NBA has the right to partner with the KKK and neo-nazis if they want, that doesn't mean we have to respect every decision they make and can't argue against certain rules or the way they operate.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)

As do I, until what they want to do starts to become aged based discrimination which I do not believe should be allowed in the US.

Not in the NBA, not in your job, not anywhere.