Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)
Outside of E. Johnson, do we?

Snodgress (may not be rising exactly, but a prospect), Ortiz, Webb. I'm not sure Rienzo is rising, but he looks like he'll at least make a bullpen.

These guys aren't ML ready, but, heck, the #1 prospect in baseball isn't either. But they're improving.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
My preference would be to trade Quintana or Danks. If this isn't a rebuild, but a retool to contend soon, we're going to have to craft some trades like we saw in the old days to bring veterans in here, hopefully youngish ones. Quintana would have value. Santiago I think hasn't put it together and we'd be selling a little low. Danks is killed by the homers; but we're in a homer park, and other teams might be able to discount those homer totals.

The problem with trading either Quintana or Santiago is that I don't think any team would reasonably meet the price for them.

Those 2 guys are young left handers with >90 mph fastballs, 4+ years of team control remaining including pre-arb years and ERA's already in the low 4's/high 3's. They're guys where if you traded for them, you pencil them in as your #2 starter next year because their ceiling is a "top of the rotation guy for years".

The price for one of those guys ought to be enormous. Cost-controlled LH starting pitching starting to establish a major-league track record is basically the most valuable, in-demand quantity in the game. We ought to be talking about a top 10 prospect in the game + a top 50 prospect in the game + a couple other guys from a team's top 20 prospects. If a team wasn't willing to give up that kind of haul for one of them, then it doesn't make sense for the White Sox.

Since they're both young and under control for so long, their trade value ought to be based in large part on their performance ceiling. Both of them have established in the big leagues that their ceiling is "top of the rotation left-handed workhorse". I can't imagine a team meeting that price.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
Snodgrass, Ortiz, Webb. I'm not sure Rienzo is rising, but he looks like he'll at least make a bullpen.

These guys aren't ML ready, but, heck, the #1 prospect in baseball isn't either. But they're improving.

Rienzo is definitely rising over the last couple months. Rough start in AAA but has gotten his stuff together lately. He has big league rotation ability if he can harness it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
Since they're both young and under control for so long, their trade value ought to be based in large part on their performance ceiling. Both of them have established in the big leagues that their ceiling is "top of the rotation left-handed workhorse". I can't imagine a team meeting that price.

That's kind of an optimistic evaluation of them. I don't think you'll ever get their value in prospects...but major leaguers or near major leaguers with a team that has some surplus in an area we need? We might. But if we can't get value, we shouldn't do the trade.

And honestly, there's some gap. If we have all of these top of the rotation starters, we shouldn't be one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in baseball, even making allowance for bad hitting, terrible defense, and, dare I say it, bad managing. Or maybe that's enough to be terrible.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
That's kind of an optimistic evaluation of them. I don't think you'll ever get their value in prospects...but major leaguers or near major leaguers with a team that has some surplus in an area we need? We might. But if we can't get value, we shouldn't do the trade.

And honestly, there's some gap. If we have all of these top of the rotation starters, we shouldn't be one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in baseball, even making allowance for bad hitting, terrible defense, and, dare I say it, bad managing. Or maybe that's enough to be terrible.

You're 100% right, with the way our pitching staff has performed, it's insane that we're one of the worst teams in baseball. I would never have guessed that this hitting and defense was enough to make a team this bad, but here we are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
Rienzo is definitely rising over the last couple months. Rough start in AAA but has gotten his stuff together lately. He has big league rotation ability if he can harness it.

Some scout I read remarked when watching the future games that Rienzo showed a pretty nasty out pitch.

I just edited my earlier post to say that Snodgress really isn't rising...just sort of hanging.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Some scout I read remarked when watching the future games that Rienzo showed a pretty nasty out pitch.

I just edited my earlier post to say that Snodgress really isn't rising...just sort of hanging.

Snodgress went from A to AA this year which is supposed to be the biggest jump in the minors. He put up ERA's in the 4's in April and May, I saw him once, he was ok, struggled a bit with his control out of the stretch but had stuff to work with. He had a bad June with an ERA over 6 but his last 3 starts have been great, 1 run in 21 innings with 6 walks, 10 hits, and 13 strikeouts. He's worth watching for the next month, sometimes guys take a while to adapt to a level and then "click", and that jump to AA is supposed to be the big one.

At the very least I think he'll get a look as a reliever at some point. He's got quality stuff to build on.

8:04am: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the White Sox did not turn down Martinez for Ramirez, though he wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals are indeed interested in Chicago's shortstop.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)

‏@keithlaw

Filthy cutter from Rienzo. Might end up a reliever but that's a big league pitch.