2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
Baylor plays KState and TCU plays Iowa State. I wonder how much the final season game TCU plays will hurt them (this of course is making the assumption that both of those teams win). You also have to look at someone like OSU and whether they could leapfrog TCU with a big win.

If OSU wins convincingly over Wisconsin they jump TCU into the top four without a doubt. Without Barrett the odds are very slim.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
They got exactly one out off 25 first places votes before the season started. So they overachieved.

They were ranked 5th in the preseason AP poll and had won 16 straight regular season conference games. I'm not saying I agree with the media, but that's what they are thinking.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
They need to stop interviewing Long, he makes zero sense. One of his qualifiers was TCU has five wins over .500 or better teams. Wtf? Since when is that good?

Lol, by my count, Ohio State has 8.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
They were ranked 5th in the preseason AP poll and had won 16 straight regular season conference games. I'm not saying I agree with the media, but that's what they are thinking.

Lol, by my count, Ohio State has 8.

And you are looking at everything before Braxton was hurt. They moved MSU to the favorite. Recruiting and actual coaching isn't what the award is about, it's "surprise of the year". Brady Hoke won one.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
And you are looking at everything before Braxton was hurt. They moved MSU to the favorite. Recruiting and actual coaching isn't what the award is about, it's "surprise of the year". Brady Hoke won one.

Exactly, isn't that what I have been arguing the whole time?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
If OSU wins convincingly over Wisconsin they jump TCU into the top four without a doubt. Without Barrett the odds are very slim.

I don't know about that. Maybe if TCU plays brutally against ISU it could happen but if TCU rolls them as expected I don't think you can really argue that TCU does not deserve to be in the top 4.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
I don't know about that. Maybe if TCU plays brutally against ISU it could happen but if TCU rolls them as expected I don't think you can really argue that TCU does not deserve to be in the top 4.

Accept OSU will have the better win, twice as many wins against .500 or better teams and the all important conference championship win. Meanwhile TCU basically has a bye.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
Accept OSU will have the better win, twice as many wins against .500 or better teams and the all important conference championship win. Meanwhile TCU basically has a bye.

Looking back at the OSU non conference schedule, it's better than I realized. No one as good as Minnesota, but Navy, VA Tech, and Cincinnati are all way better than the other teams TCU played. And let's not even discuss Baylor's schedule

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)

I don't really agree with that. TCU had 4 top 25 wins (plus Minnesota) while OSU will have had 3 if they beat Wisconsin. They shared one common opponent (Minnesota) who TCU beat more convincingly. TCU will also have a conference championship. There is no title game but there is a champion (albeit shared). TCU having a bye is kind of irrelevant since that's how the schedule shook out. Would it have made a difference if they played ISU in September and instead beat Oklahoma this week? OSU also has that terrible loss while TCU's only loss was on the road by 3 to the #6 team in the country.

I think they are very similar but I see a slightly better resume right now for TCU. If one of those 4 teams were to lose OSU should be the first to move in, but if no one loses, I struggle to find justification to move any of them out

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Would love to see a total chaos weekend:

Mizzou over Alabama

Arizona over Oregon

Georgia Tech over Florida State

Wisconsin over Ohio State

Kansas State over Baylor

TCU would definitely be 1. Arizona would definitely be 2. I think Alabama would be a safe 3. Then I believe Georgia Tech would be your 4th team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Looking back at the OSU non conference schedule, it's better than I realized. No one as good as Minnesota, but Navy, VA Tech, and Cincinnati are all way better than the other teams TCU played. And let's not even discuss Baylor's schedule

It's not a bad OOC schedule but it's nothing to brag about. Va Tech isn't very good and Navy isn't as good as their 6 wins indicate as all of their wins have been against crap competition. Thankfully for TCU they scheduled Minnesota because SMU is one of the worst teams in FBS and their only other OOC game was an FCS opponent

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
TCU would definitely be 1. Arizona would definitely be 2. I think Alabama would be a safe 3. Then I believe Georgia Tech would be your 4th team.

I think Kansas State could take the 4 seed if you add a road win at Baylor to their resume

Yes, TCU would be #1 and Arizona would definitely be in, but Mizzou would be a conference champion and have the same record as Alabama, and Wisconsin would have an argument as well.

It would be hilarious if a team that lost to Indiana made the playoffs.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
I don't really agree with that. TCU had 4 top 25 wins (plus Minnesota) while OSU will have had 3 if they beat Wisconsin. They shared one common opponent (Minnesota) who TCU beat more convincingly. TCU will also have a conference championship. There is no title game but there is a champion (albeit shared). TCU having a bye is kind of irrelevant since that's how the schedule shook out. Would it have made a difference if they played ISU in September and instead beat Oklahoma this week? OSU also has that terrible loss while TCU's only loss was on the road by 3 to the #6 team in the country.

I think they are very similar but I see a slightly better resume right now for TCU. If one of those 4 teams were to lose OSU should be the first to move in, but if no one loses, I struggle to find justification to move any of them out

You don't have to agree with it but if OSU wins you'll see that's how it shakes out. Conference title games have huge weight as well as having the best overall win. TCU will end up fifth.

The common opponent is a wash since TCU played at home in the summer. And yes the timing of wins and losses means quite a bit. This isn't like a poll that you are traditionally used to, and they showed that this week.

Edited by RockRaines

You have to remember conference title games are an extra game these other teams have to play. That's a huge advantage and the Big 12 not having one is what could leave them out in the cold, which is exactly what the ncaa wants is to have all power conferences organized the same way.

You have to remember conference title games are an extra game these other teams have to play. That's a huge advantage and the Big 12 not having one is what could leave them out in the cold, which is exactly what the ncaa wants is to have all power conferences organized the same way.

Not a lot left for the Big 12 to choose from to get their membership back up to 12. Boise State? Colorado State? Houston? Rice?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
You don't have to agree with it but if OSU wins you'll see that's how it shakes out. Conference title games have huge weight as well as having the best overall win. TCU will end up fifth.

The common opponent is a wash since TCU played at home in the summer. And yes the timing of wins and losses means quite a bit. This isn't like a poll that you are traditionally used to, and they showed that this week.

Personally I think it's more likely Baylor jumps OSU than OSU jumps TCU. (Although I still think Baylor's 3 non-con games are killing them)

They aren't looking at Minnesota as a common opponent. They are comparing Minnesota to Virginia Tech as each team's top non-conference opponent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Not a lot left for the Big 12 to choose from to get their membership back up to 12. Boise State? Colorado State? Houston? Rice?

They are going to be forced to add two teams at some point due to the playoff format. Odds are someone like SMU and BYU or something of the like.

Luckily for everyone the controversy that will happen this year will also help the expansion into 8 teams in the playoff which would be awesome.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Personally I think it's more likely Baylor jumps OSU than OSU jumps TCU. (Although I still think Baylor's 3 non-con games are killing them)

They aren't looking at Minnesota as a common opponent. They are comparing Minnesota to Virginia Tech as each team's top non-conference opponent.

Everyone has their opinion. Once again the extra conference title game is weighed very heavily for the playoff. If everyone in the top 6 wins out this weekend I am willing to bet anything that OSU moves into the last spot because I am certain thats the case from what I know.

But like I said, with the 3rd string QB the odds are very slim that this will happen and my guess is the 4 that are there now stay exactly the same.

They are going to be forced to add two teams at some point due to the playoff format. Odds are someone like SMU and BYU or something of the like.

Luckily for everyone the controversy that will happen this year will also help the expansion into 8 teams in the playoff which would be awesome.

I don't get how this leads to an 8 team playoff. Right now we are debating the #4 spot between a team that gave up 61 points in a game and a team that lost to 6-6 Virginia Tech. And people want to open up the playoffs to teams worse than those two?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Everyone has their opinion. Once again the extra conference title game is weighed very heavily for the playoff. If everyone in the top 6 wins out this weekend I am willing to bet anything that OSU moves into the last spot because I am certain thats the case from what I know.

But like I said, with the 3rd string QB the odds are very slim that this will happen and my guess is the 4 that are there now stay exactly the same.

Where has the committee said anything about the conference title game being weighed very heavily? All I have seen is that a conference championship will get extra weight, which will include TCU if they win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)

Moves in to the last spot over who then? FSU or TCU?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Where has the committee said anything about the conference title game being weighed very heavily? All I have seen is that a conference championship will get extra weight, which will include TCU if they win.

TCU wont have a conference championship, they could win a shared one . And they've mentioned many times that the extra championship game has additional weight.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't get how this leads to an 8 team playoff. Right now we are debating the #4 spot between a team that gave up 61 points in a game and a team that lost to 6-6 Virginia Tech. And people want to open up the playoffs to teams worse than those two?

Since there is only one undefeated team and they also have warts its opens up to other teams outside of the debated top 4 to other top teams that have warts as well. Its the logical next step.