2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Since there is only one undefeated team and they also have warts its opens up to other teams outside of the debated top 4 to other top teams that have warts as well. Its the logical next step.

Whether that is a logical step will of course depend on how much money they make on these rounds. If they are insanely profitable for a couple years and they're confident they can sell out 4 more games and get plenty of viewers, a round of 8 will happen. If not...

With McElwain all but locked in at Florida, that leaves some open jobs. Here are my predictions: Les Miles to Michigan. Rich Rodriguez to LSU. Jerry Kill to Nebraska. Narduzzi to Minnesota. I think Schiano will end up back in the game as well, just not sure where yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Whether that is a logical step will of course depend on how much money they make on these rounds. If they are insanely profitable for a couple years and they're confident they can sell out 4 more games and get plenty of viewers, a round of 8 will happen. If not...

I know I'll be watching so I can only assume it will be popular. Who knows though. That could be another reason why they may want the most popular teams in the playoff year 1, but thats too much conspiracy for one day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I know I'll be watching so I can only assume it will be popular. Who knows though. That could be another reason why they may want the most popular teams in the playoff year 1, but thats too much conspiracy for one day.

They won't make a change for a couple years until they're confident in the money. They'll want to know that a game that is something like TCU versus Utah or something like that will still sell out and make money in the round of 8 first.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
With McElwain all but locked in at Florida, that leaves some open jobs. Here are my predictions: Les Miles to Michigan. Rich Rodriguez to LSU. Jerry Kill to Nebraska. Narduzzi to Minnesota. I think Schiano will end up back in the game as well, just not sure where yet.

McElwain is a good coach. But still odd he's the guy Florida locked in on and made their number 1 target. Maybe the most expensive poaching ever too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
They won't make a change for a couple years until they're confident in the money. They'll want to know that a game that is something like TCU versus Utah or something like that will still sell out and make money in the round of 8 first.

You know their hope is at least 2 SEC teams, one ACC, one Big Ten, PAC, Big 12, Notre Dame and one other big time addition from a power 5 like USC, Texas etc.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
McElwain is a good coach. But still odd he's the guy Florida locked in on and made their number 1 target. Maybe the most expensive poaching ever too.

I would stay in that huge house if I was him, what a f***ing castle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
TCU wont have a conference championship, they could win a shared one . And they've mentioned many times that the extra championship game has additional weight.

They have already publicly declared that TCU and Baylor would be "conference champions", just like everyone else.

You go up to 8 teams and you start to run into the problem of people not being able to go see their team play a quarterfinal in Florida, a semifinal in Texas, and a final in California. I realize that TV money >> ticket money, but how is that going to look when the quarterfinal games are all half-empty because fans are holding out for the later games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
They have already publicly declared that TCU and Baylor would be "conference champions", just like everyone else.

Right a shared one, and if they have one team to pick for their bowl they will pick Baylor.

They also get shorted one additional game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
You go up to 8 teams and you start to run into the problem of people not being able to go see their team play a quarterfinal in Florida, a semifinal in Texas, and a final in California. I realize that TV money >> ticket money, but how is that going to look when the quarterfinal games are all half-empty because fans are holding out for the later games.

What if they did the first round being the better seed gets a home game or a regional game?

What if they did the first round being the better seed gets a home game or a regional game?

I don't see the SEC agreeing to any arrangement that might potentially have one of their teams playing in Columbus or South Bend in December. They're afraid enough to play games in the north in September--no way they will do it in December.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
I don't see the SEC agreeing to any arrangement that might potentially have one of their teams playing in Columbus or South Bend in December. They're afraid enough to play games in the north in September--no way they will do it in December.

They will if they have to, plus they are arrogant enough to think they would be one of the top 4 teams if not all 4.

I mean Imagine LSU coming up to Madison WI to play in December. Think of Bama playing in deep lake effect snow in South Bend. It would be AWESOME

Edited by RockRaines

Hopefully the Big 12 realizes they need to expand to 12. BYU should obviously be the top candidate. Not really sure after that. Central Florida is way out of the footprint but otherwise makes sense, and West Virginia is in there anyways. UCONN is way way out of the footprint. Cincinnati is quality but it's a city school in Ohio. Doesn't exactly match what they're going for. Still probably the best option after BYU.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Hopefully the Big 12 realizes they need to expand to 12. BYU should obviously be the top candidate. Not really sure after that. Central Florida is way out of the footprint but otherwise makes sense, and West Virginia is in there anyways. UCONN is way way out of the footprint. Cincinnati is quality but it's a city school in Ohio. Doesn't exactly match what they're going for. Still probably the best option after BYU.

What about Houston?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
I mean Imagine LSU coming up to Madison WI to play in December. Think of Bama playing in deep lake effect snow in South Bend. It would be AWESOME

It would be beyond awesome, but like Hickory, I can't see it happening.

They will if they have to, plus they are arrogant enough to think they would be one of the top 4 teams if not all 4.

The SEC will use every single ounce of influence they have to avoid having this happen.

What's really funny is that, periodically, SEC fans complain that ND's schedule is weak because they don't play any SEC teams, when the reality is that ND has been trying to schedule SEC teams for years but none of the good ones will agree to go to South Bend. Georgia finally did for 2017/19, but even then the condition was that the game in South Bend had to be in September.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
The SEC will use every single ounce of influence they have to avoid having this happen.

What's really funny is that, periodically, SEC fans complain that ND's schedule is weak because they don't play any SEC teams, when the reality is that ND has been trying to schedule SEC teams for years but none of the good ones will agree to go to South Bend. Georgia finally did for 2017/19, but even then the condition was that the game in South Bend had to be in September.

They would never come north for an outside game in Oct/Nov, NEVER. Unless it was mandated by a playoff...

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
What about Houston?

Big 12 already has the Texas market covered. If I had to throw 4 names out there to get to a 14 team conference, I would say BYU,UCF,USF and maybe Colorado St?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
Big 12 already has the Texas market covered. If I had to throw 4 names out there to get to a 14 team conference, I would say BYU,UCF,USF and maybe Colorado St?

That's the only market the team that runs that conference cares about.