Various Races

pettie4sox

State-level offices don't always follow Presidential voting patterns. New Jersey went to Obama easily, but elected Christie. Obama won Wisconsin, but Walker beat his recall. Democrats don't stand a chance of winning Montana etc. for the Presidency, but those sorts of states routinely elect Democratic senators and governors. Like bmags mentioned earlier, even Illinois has a Republican senator.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
While huge desire is overstating, I think a NJ comparison is apt. If a republican governor came into power in illinois, worked with the democrats to pass things, he would be hugely popular. But they seem more interested in Scott Walker for some reason as a road map.

Jim Edgar was incredibly popular and probably our best governor, ever?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Eh, are you sure on that number? I thought they collected 2 million the first month?

That was their projection. Its supposed to be at 4 million shortly with possibly getting to 7-8. It's not legal in all areas quite yet as places like colorado springs have outlawed it, but it may come to other areas. Colorado is a really divided state in that its very conservative except for Denver and Boulder.

In Illinois i see not only a revenue stream but also a possible reduction in crime and illegal drug trafficking. its a rosey theory but one I fully support. The funny thing about marijuana in Denver is its not the smoking that is popular and has increased but its the edibles. They cannot stock enough edibles in many of the dispensaries and last time I was there most of their items were backordered.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Jim Edgar was incredibly popular and probably our best governor, ever?

Of my lifetime.

He had to beat out George Ryan, Blagoyevich and Quinn for being governor during my conscious years.

I actually don't think Quinn is corrupt or a bad guy I just don't think he has any ability to lead the democrats on policy. And a lot needs to be done in Illinois right now.

Edit: not saying the Edgar was only good because of that, just pointing out the incredible IL governor legacy of 2000 and beyond.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
If that is all he's done he's hasn't accomplished anything worth praising. Does he think he's going to save his state money by busting up the unions?

That's what he's gotten attention for nationally and what sparked the failed recall. I honestly haven't paid attention to other policies he might have put in place.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
He smashed public unions and teachers unions in particular.

edit: crosspost, response to pettie about Walker, not edgar

Who were making demands for more pay/benefits during the recession when everyone else was struggling. He jumped on the tea party/anti-public employment movement and got elected with it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Of my lifetime.

He had to beat out George Ryan, Blagoyevich and Quinn for being governor during my conscious years.

I actually don't think Quinn is corrupt or a bad guy I just don't think he has any ability to lead the democrats on policy. And a lot needs to be done in Illinois right now.

Man, look at that string of corruption with Ryan and Blago. Jesus. The only thing Illinois has proven is that we have poor taste in politicians.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Who were making demands for more pay/benefits during the recession when everyone else was struggling. He jumped on the tea party/anti-public employment movement and got elected with it.

He sure did, and he was open and transparent about it (unlike the Michigan governor who denied that he'd even consider RTW and then signed it into law). Nationally, that's what Walker is most known for, and conservatives love it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
That was their projection. Its supposed to be at 4 million shortly with possibly getting to 7-8. It's not legal in all areas quite yet as places like colorado springs have outlawed it, but it may come to other areas. Colorado is a really divided state in that its very conservative except for Denver and Boulder.

In Illinois i see not only a revenue stream but also a possible reduction in crime and illegal drug trafficking. its a rosey theory but one I fully support. The funny thing about marijuana in Denver is its not the smoking that is popular and has increased but its the edibles. They cannot stock enough edibles in many of the dispensaries and last time I was there most of their items were backordered.

The problem is even if it's 70 million, Colorado's total budget is like 20 billion. It's a drop in the bucket really.

And as far as Illinois, I don't think it'll do much of anything. Most counties/cities have stopped enforcing laws on pot anyway, and those that do usually just hand out fines. Those small drug offenses no longer fill up court dockets and jail cells. And the real crime isn't over pot, it's over heroin.

It'd be nice to have that revenue, but give the government in Illinois an extra 70 million and it goes nowhere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Man, look at that string of corruption with Ryan and Blago. Jesus. The only thing Illinois has proven is that we have poor taste in politicians.

Yet our senators have been very good.

When they know they have an eye on them, or have national aspirations, they seem to do well, but when they are in the thick of actual state politics it is a hellish muck of awful.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
It'd be nice to have that revenue, but give the government in Illinois an extra 70 million and it goes nowhere.

Taxing pot to pay off loan interest, we're like post college drug dealers.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
He sure did, and he was open and transparent about it (unlike the Michigan governor who denied that he'd even consider RTW and then signed it into law). Nationally, that's what Walker is most known for, and conservatives love it.

There has to be a balance between seeing labor as a number and what the unions demand though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)

And yet the same leaders in Springfield keep getting elected over and over again. Hell, 2 out of the top 3 power positions in the state belong to one family. It's pathetic. They've driven the state into the ground, they've flat out lied to the public, and no one cares because they promise to give people things and/or promise to do so and people eat that s*** up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
The problem is even if it's 70 million, Colorado's total budget is like 20 billion. It's a drop in the bucket really.

And as far as Illinois, I don't think it'll do much of anything. Most counties/cities have stopped enforcing laws on pot anyway, and those that do usually just hand out fines. Those small drug offenses no longer fill up court dockets and jail cells. And the real crime isn't over pot, it's over heroin.

yeah but it eliminates a tax line item from the overall budget. In colorado they are adding more programs for youth and at risk kids which goes a long way in some areas.

If you look at the Il state budget cuts and the overall budget you can see some areas where the tax revenue COULD be useful. But I think you hit on something at the end. It would probably go towards their pension.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
And yet the same leaders in Springfield keep getting elected over and over again. Hell, 2 out of the top 3 power positions in the state belong to one family. It's pathetic. They've driven the state into the ground, they've flat out lied to the public, and no one cares because they promise to give people things and/or promise to do so and people eat that s*** up.

Chicago does have its fair number sheeple that outweigh the informed voters. That's the only reason these incompetent twits keep getting elected.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Chicago does have its fair number sheeple that outweigh the informed voters. That's the only reason these incompetent twits keep getting elected.

The other side of the coin is the people in the middle of nowhere that vote with jesus. Both sides are uninformed and are hurting the government. The only reason Oberweis keeps getting reelected is jesus and ice cream.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
The other side of the coin is the people in the middle of nowhere that vote with jesus. Both sides are uninformed and are hurting the government. The only reason Oberweis keeps getting reelected is jesus and ice cream.

You are most certainly correct.

I mean, local politics has so few voters vote. That's the issue. It's not that people are stupid, it's that the people who are voting "know" the candidate and that he's a good guy/girl and will rep their interests. So everyone likes their rep, hates the whole.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
You are most certainly correct.

I'm actually more interested in my local government these days as I just applied to get on a steering committee in my village. I've got my eye on the board then the presidency.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)

At least they'd be voting in someone different with different policies that may or may not work. They'll never get their bible thumping policies passed, so it's a moot point there. They could, however, offer other solutions to the states financial problems. At this point it's so f***ed up, why not just try it and see what happens? We literally couldn't be doing worse there.