4/16 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Basto should be in Kanny IMO

He's in W-S because there is basically zero prospect depth at 3B between Davidson in AAA, and Michalczewski who isn't ready for that jump. Basto and Curley are just filling spaces right now.

Also keep in mind, while Basto may hit better in Kanny, defense-wise there won't be any significant difference between those two levels. He'd be just as bad with the glove in Kannapolis.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Really amazing is, he was drafted as a shortstop. They moved him off to 3B, which should be somewhat easier overall, and he's still struggling this badly.

Easier overall, but it really takes work to get used to the ball getting to you much quicker at third than anywhere else on the field.

This sustained hot start has made me a believer in Courtney Hawkins and will even go out on a limb and say that the aggressive assignment last year was actually beneficial to his development. It looks like they're taking the same approach with Barnum, it'll be interesting to see if he struggles as badly as Hawkins last year and how he'll handle it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Hawkins 2 for 2 with a double, run scored....no K's.

Goldberg getting beaten up.

Every time Hawkins gets a hit I imagine CJ Wittman seeing it and saying it was lucky swing, bloop that should of been caught, hit it off a non-prospect, etc etc.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
This sustained hot start has made me a believer in Courtney Hawkins and will even go out on a limb and say that the aggressive assignment last year was actually beneficial to his development. It looks like they're taking the same approach with Barnum, it'll be interesting to see if he struggles as badly as Hawkins last year and how he'll handle it.

There is no way to disprove what you are saying, but I will never believe that. If Hawkins spends the first half of the season gaining confidence in Kanny before making the jump, I believe the transition would have went much smoother, and he may have been ready for AA coming into this season. Seeing the results that teams have had locally with allowing kids to play low A for at least half a season, and they were the best prospects in baseball, leads me to believe that Hawkins was mis-handled.

Hawkins has clearly made some good adjustments - but we'll see how sustainable the hot start is and how much he's really accomplished over the next few months.

I wouldn't read too much into Goldberg's line, or his core stats generally. Think of him like Nate Jones or Jake Petricka, he's a likely reliever who is getting quicker pitching training. Off chance he actually succeeds as a starter, and that's great, but really this is a development exercise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
To me, Hawkins being a legit top prospect again would be the comeback of the year.

It would go a long way in making up for the bad luck with the Garcia injury. Hawkins still looks out of sorts to me on the video I've seen, not as bad as last year though.