4/21 games

ILMOU

From Red Sox prospect site re: Rodon

Scouting Report: Excellent defensive shortstop with a projectable body. Also capable of playing second base more than adequately. Offense is far behind his defense. Decent bat speed. Has shown flashes of gap power in batting practice, but hasn't made consistent contact or shown much in game power at lower levels. Utility player ceiling.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
From Red Sox prospect site re: Rodon

Scouting Report: Excellent defensive shortstop with a projectable body. Also capable of playing second base more than adequately. Offense is far behind his defense. Decent bat speed. Has shown flashes of gap power in batting practice, but hasn't made consistent contact or shown much in game power at lower levels. Utility player ceiling.

The Rodon/Rondon bug rebounds off NC State's Carlos and strikes Cleuluis in reverse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)
Like others said...he got demoted and never had a shot at the bigs after making it last year. Mentally that's rough.

And the guy he is behind organizationally is currently the #3 hitter in the highest run scoring offense in baseball.....lol, he can't be feeling too optimistic right now.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
Not an impact prospect yet, but might we have something in Trey Michalczewhatever? Quite a pup, having just turned 19, and holding his own.

He was my favorite offensive pick of the draft last year. Maybe it's because I envision Chase Headley every time I think of Trey's potential, but a switch-hitting power 3B would be really fun to have. Hell, a switch hitting power ANY position. The ability to hit HR from both sides of the plate is a dope tool.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)
He was my favorite offensive pick of the draft last year. Maybe it's because I envision Chase Headley every time I think of Trey's potential, but a switch-hitting power 3B would be really fun to have. Hell, a switch hitting power ANY position. The ability to hit HR from both sides of the plate is a dope tool.

Hmmmm. Matt Tellor of Southeast Missouri State is a switch hitting 1B. Tellor Stats

5th in the nation in Home Runs and 6th in RBI's. Ball jumps off his bat

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
I liked the pick as well and he's showing what you want from a young hitter: walks and average. His contact rate is actually low so maybe the average will fall, but even for a power prospect I want to see on-base skills. Power comes last. Patience can be developed as well, but it's always better to start with it.

As a sidenote, I got a laugh out of that scouting blurb. The expected athleticism of a high school tight end? Clearly this guy hasn't seen the same high school tight ends I have. High school shortstop says more about his athleticism than high school tight end.

Brad Goldberg 5 K, 1 BB tonight in 6 IP. He has 16 K and 6 BB in 19.1 IP, but a 6.52 ERA. We may need to stick to raw K:BB numbers for the Dash pitching staff if their defense is as bad as the error total. Kanny's starting infield has 26 errors combined. Unearned runs help pitchers' stats a bit, but if they are bad defenders, you also need to factor for the balls they aren't even getting to and aren't errors.

Wendelken (17 K, 2 BB in 22.1 IP, 3.63 ERA), Bucciferro (8 K, 1 BB in 17.1 IP, 3.63 ERA) and Recchia (21 K, 5 BB in 15.1 IP, 4.11 ERA) also seem to have higher ERAs than their peripherals would indicate.

Good point about the pitchers. Gives me a story idea.