I'll have the Danish, thanks

ILMOU

Kid turns 20 today. Getting the twitter love from his fellow prospects.

Obviously, valid concerns remain about his mechanics, but the slight-frame/durability issues need to be put to rest. He's 205 pounds on a six-foot frame and completed 130 pro-ball innings at 19.

Here's a recent photo of him, looking stacked, with Courtney Hawkins, and a recent Dash photo -

BwefFulIUAADX8V.jpg tylerd.jpg

His frame looks like a slightly-downsized version of Rodon to my eyes. The issue should be a thing of the past, but you can expect to be reading it up until he's a stud in MLB.

Meanwhile, the Cubs 23 y.o. CJ Edwards, who Tyler outweighs by 50 lbs., still ranks in the 50's in top 100 lists, with a profile that screams reliever to anyone who's paying attention. Been babied the whole time with pitch counts of 80 (less than TD despite 3+ years older) and still missed most of the season with throwing shoulder issues.

This is analogous to the continuation bet in Texas Hold 'em, and is rooted in a similar likelihood of BS. #rankingsajoke

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

Obviously, valid concerns remain about his mechanics, but the slight-frame/durability issues need to be put to rest. He's 205 pounds on a six-foot frame and completed 130 pro-ball innings at 19.

Here's a recent photo of him, looking stacked, with Courtney Hawkins, and a recent Dash photo -

His frame looks like a slightly-downsized version of Rodon to my eyes. The issue should be a thing of the past, but you can expect to be reading it up until he's a stud in MLB.

Meanwhile, the Cubs 23 y.o. CJ Edwards, who Tyler outweighs by 50 lbs., still ranks in the 50's in top 100 lists, with a profile that screams reliever to anyone who's paying attention. Been babied the whole time with pitch counts of 80 (less than TD despite 3+ years older) and still missed most of the season with throwing shoulder issues.

This is analogous to the continuation bet in Texas Hold 'em, and is rooted in a similar likelihood of BS. #rankingsajoke

The concerns about durability really haven't been (at least not primarily) about his frame. It's the delivery. Watch some video to see what people mean about that. His delivery is similar to Peavy's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
The concerns about durability really haven't been (at least not primarily) about his frame. It's the delivery. Watch some video to see what people mean about that. His delivery is similar to Peavy's.

I know, and I have, of course. Yes, it's funky. I think they've tamped down the effort-level from his HS days. Compare videos of each and you may see what I mean.

Despite the obvious major injury, Jake has reached 2100+ innings at 33. Not too bad, if that's the delivery comp. worry.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

That's a very cool pic and great to see Danish and Hawkins taking time for pics with fans.

One thing I notice is Danish has put on some very solid weight! Dude is pretty buff for a pitcher. He kinda makes Hawkins look small. :lol:

The only thing that scares me about Danish is the potential for injury on the elbow with the way he whips his arm. I admit I'm no medical professional but my elbow hurts just watching him. :)

A lot of the talk about Danish was also said about Sale and so far so good with him. Even if Danish does end up in the bullpen I won't complain because a kid with his stuff could be quite dominant.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
That's a very cool pic and great to see Danish and Hawkins taking time for pics with fans.

One thing I notice is Danish has put on some very solid weight! Dude is pretty buff for a pitcher. He kinda makes Hawkins look small. :lol:

The only thing that scares me about Danish is the potential for injury on the elbow with the way he whips his arm. I admit I'm no medical professional but my elbow hurts just watching him. :)

A lot of the talk about Danish was also said about Sale and so far so good with him. Even if Danish does end up in the bullpen I won't complain because a kid with his stuff could be quite dominant.

If he's healthy, he's going to be a starting pitcher. No need to take him out of that role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
If it is just a few sentences, and you include a link to the full article and it's paywall, I think that is fine.

So here is the Law writeup on Danish. It's quite surprising. He wasn't a fan at draft time and it definitely seems like he still has reservations though. Can't really argue with the stuff or production at this point though. I think Danish is a top 100 prospect. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...cts-of-the-year

Tyler Danish | RHP | Chicago White Sox

I don't like Danish's delivery at all -- it's a low-slot, slinging delivery that puts a lot of stress on the arm -- but he can get into the mid-90s and generates a lot of sink (thanks to that arm slot), which, despite his youth, made him among the best starters in two full-season leagues. He was the youngest starter in the high-A Carolina League, where he spent most of the season, and still finished in the top 10 in the league in ERA, walking just 23 men in 91 2/3 innings, with 78 strikeouts. The White Sox have had success with pitchers who have unusual deliveries -- one of whom might win a Cy Young Award this year -- so perhaps they'll defy conventional wisdom again with Danish.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Maybe I am nitpicking, but Danish has never been mid 90's as a pro. He was advertised as being able to get it up to 95 when he was drafted and he was barely hitting 90 in his first short season. This season he was hitting 92-93 at one point, but it was during the period he was getting smacked in W-S. Once his velocity fell and sat at 87-91, he was dominant again.

Sacrificing velocity for movement is taught throughout the sox system.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
What I was getting at is Keith Law shouldn't be perpetuating the idea that Danish is throwing 93-95.

The highest report I've seen in the minors for Tyler is 94. He said he reaches mid-90's, so he's not that far off (in fact 94 IS mid 90's). He's more typically 88-92 of course, but I don't think he's out in space on this one.