7/20 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
Thinking it's more and more likely that Wilkins will get some opportunities in August and September to see if he can stick as Dunn's replacement.

He has a sub .300 OBP in the minors. That is horrendous strike zone recognition.

I had hoped we left that preference for low OBP ball when Ozzie left town.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
He has a sub .300 OBP in the minors. That is horrendous strike zone recognition.

I had hoped we left that preference for low OBP ball when Ozzie left town.

Not quite true. He also got off to a terrible start in April-May. He keeps improving, even his OBP. If he has a good final 6 wks in AAA, why not move him up? If Sox don't protect him in off-season, he will be gone.

Is it unsurprising to see Peter hit like this right away due to his seasoning in college? When drafted it seemed like consensus was he was a pick to save some cost. Is that accurate? What are things to look for that he may be beating expectations?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Is it unsurprising to see Peter hit like this right away due to his seasoning in college? When drafted it seemed like consensus was he was a pick to save some cost. Is that accurate? What are things to look for that he may be beating expectations?

He is a college guy, but a relatively young one at 21 years old. I don't think it is expected that anyone, even if he was a 4 year guy, to hit THAT well out of the gate. I mean, he's well over .400 at 116 plate appearances. That's unexpected for anyone.