Official Frank Thomas Celebration Week

shago

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 06:59 PM)
Chicken Willie Thompson.

That's right.

At least he was nice enough to mention Kenny Williams twice, both as a teammate and GM.

I miss that 1990 team. So much fun when a team loaded with so many young prospects begins to fulfill its potential. Unfortunately, we had to contend with the A's/Blue Jay's and then later the Indians' onslaught.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
The Kenny in the player portion was Kenny Lofton.

Are you sure about that?

I know there were a lot of problems around then...with Jimenez and Lofton and Lee, in terms of attitude/chemistry in the clubhouse.

Thomas got into a fight with either Lofton or Jimenez on one famous occasion and ended up sitting on him...not sure which player, my memory's a bit hazy now 12 years later.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 06:44 AM)
Are you sure about that?

I know there were a lot of problems around then...with Jimenez and Lofton and Lee, in terms of attitude/chemistry in the clubhouse.

Thomas got into a fight with either Lofton or Jimenez on one famous occasion and ended up sitting on him...not sure which player, my memory's a bit hazy now 12 years later.

Frank Thomas never played with Kenny Williams, so yeah.

Not about Frank but related to the HOF induction:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4688831.story

The stats on former Cubs and Braves pitcher Greg Maddux's Hall of Fame plaque awarded Sunday are appropriately impressive.

The grammar? Not so much.

Astute baseball fans have taken to Twitter, sports podcasts and Internet sites to point out an error in the etched description of Maddux as the "only hurler with ... less than 1,000 walks."

For those of you who didn't pay attention to your high school English teacher, the correct phrasing should have been "fewer than 1,000 walks."

According to Oxford Dictionaries, use fewer if you're referring to things in the plural (e.g. houses, newspapers, dogs, students, children).

Use less when referring to something that can't be counted, or doesn't have a plural. (e.g. money, air, time, music, rain).

I hate these Word Crimes . . .