Evan Gattis

Dunt

I just saw the Gattis/BJ Upton info and also saw they may include Mike Minor if someone eats BJ Upton's contract.

Is this crazy or not?

White Sox trade: Dayan Viciendo, A Couple Solid Prospects

Braves Trade: Evan Gattis, BJ Upton (All his $48 million comes with him), Mike Minor

Upton is a terrible player, but if taking on his $12 million per year helps us net Minor & Gattis...

Am I crazy? What type of prospects would it take to get Gattis & Minor?

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
I just saw the Gattis/BJ Upton info and also saw they may include Mike Minor if someone eats BJ Upton's contract.

Is this crazy or not?

Braves Trade: Evan Gattis, BJ Upton (All his $48 million comes with him), Mike Minor

Upton is a terrible player, but if taking on his $12 million per year helps us net Minor & Gattis...

Minor has had a down year. The rumored deal that was discussed between the Braves and Cubs had the Braves sending Minor along with Upton to the Cubs for Jackson.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/brav...-offseason.html

If we are going to take back Upton, I think we would want to hold out for Heyward rather than Gattis. Gattis is not a very good defender and he will likely soon be stuck in a 1B/DH role and the Sox. Heyward would give the Sox three legit ML OF's and another much needed LH bat in the lineup.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
If we are going to take back Upton, I think we would want to hold out for Heyward rather than Gattis. Gattis is not a very good defender and he will likely soon be stuck in a 1B/DH role and the Sox. Heyward would give the Sox three legit ML OF's and another much needed LH bat in the lineup.

If we're after Heyward, it's crazy to trade for him. Free agent after next season, seems extremely unlikely to sign a long term extension before that since no one seems to know what to make of him.

I don't know what Gattis' play at C is like, but if it can be league average and he works with pitchers well, then I'd be all for trading Montas for him. I also think Montas isn't going to get it done, at least not alone.

Trades involving multiple major leaguers from one team are pretty rare, so Upton and Gattis together seems a long shot. But it could work. I think the Braves are also happy to get Upton off their payroll, so you could maybe pull off getting both for, say, Montas plus another (lower level) prospect.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)

Is this crazy or not?

Here's the hang up I think. I just look at Upton's contact on baseball reference and his contract is back loaded.

2015 $ 14,450,000.

2016 $ 15,450,000

2017 $ 16,450,000

Those numbers combined with his performance is a pretty much impossible sell. Personally I could not be intrigued no matter what player they threw into the deal , even if they took Danks contract.

Now that I know this, I can see why there hasn't been much said about a possible Sox/Braves trade. Hahn has probably already said f*** no . :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
If we're after Heyward, it's crazy to trade for him. Free agent after next season, seems extremely unlikely to sign a long term extension before that since no one seems to know what to make of him.

After thinking about I think you're right about this Balta. Weren't the Braves trying to sign him longer last winter and he only agreed to a deal that covered his arbitration years?

The only way this could work would be if the Sox had a negotiation window with him to work out a long term deal like what they did with sweaty Freddy. I admit this is highly doubtful.

Given what Hahn said about trading for high dollar contracts last week, I think an Upton deal is plausible.

The Sox have some room to take on a contract like this, and it is a guy that makes some sense for the team, if they think they can get him to hit again. At the very worst, you are at least trading for a guy that makes the OF defense a helluva lot better. If you make it a bad contract for bad contract trade, you can add Upton at no cost at all until the 3rd and final year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Given what Hahn said about trading for high dollar contracts last week, I think an Upton deal is plausible.

The Sox have some room to take on a contract like this, and it is a guy that makes some sense for the team, if they think they can get him to hit again. At the very worst, you are at least trading for a guy that makes the OF defense a helluva lot better. If you make it a bad contract for bad contract trade, you can add Upton at no cost at all until the 3rd and final year.

I wonder if the Braves would think about Danks for Upton. Sign Shields and trade for a lefty bat then.

Sale

Shields

Quintana

Rodon

Noesi

LF/CF Eaton

SS Alexei

1B Abreu

DH Lefty bat

RF Garcia

3B Gillaspie

LF/CF Upton

C Flowers

2B Sanchez/Semien/Johnson

If the So are going to take on a high dollar contract of a right handed hitting OF, that name should be Kemp, not Upton. BJ runs like Justin and hits like Kate. No thank you. I would honestly rather keep Danks and his contract over BJ's. The Sox don't have the best pedigree for turning bats around so I would not count on that either.

Edit: take note that even the cubs weren't crazy enough to make a deal that included Upton's contract.

Edited by StRoostifer