Should The Sox Buy the Old Post Office For A New Stadium?

nitetrain8601

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
with ref to the price, sox park, isn't it owned by the St of Ill. and the

sox leases it??? it was some kind of sweetheart deal with Daley and

JR.

with the St of Ill saying no to the sCrubs, the new park will need

to be finance by the owners. so i will doubt it with JR group./

Jim Thompson financed the park. Daley was running for office in 1988. Eugene Sawyer was the mayor at the time. And the man he replaced, Harold Washington, is the one that made the deal with Thompson to keep the Sox at 35th and Shields.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
well the braves have clearly made it known that the only brown people they want at the new braves stadium are the ones that work there on and off the field.

they chose the one county in the greater atlanta area that has steadfastly REFUSED extending MARTA rail access in it's borders.

give me a freaking break. show the links of this so called info that

you are spouting.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Don't the Cubs fans have access to the Yellow, Purple, Brown and Red Lines? On top of that, bus service almost non-stop, Lake Shore Drive and Kennedy(to the west) along with a bunch of nightlife or hang out after the game options.

The Sox could do worse than 35th and Shields, but they could also do much better.

Wrigley is not as good transit wise as Sox Park. The red Line stop services three lines, but it's only ONE STATION. 10k people go into ONE STATION postgame. Sox have three SEPARATE stops/lines on 35th street. big differenace.

Bus service means nothing when there are 12-15k cars filling the streets in a square mile around wrigley.

LSD does NOT have an Addison exit. You need to get off at Irving or Belmont. AND, the Drive is a parking lot as you get into rush hour from Roosevelt TO Hollywood.

The Kennedy exit for Addison(and Irving) is as far West as Pulaski. That's almost FOUR MILES from the Friendly Confines.(Belmont is at Kedzie, which makes it around three miles west). The Dan Ryan exits for Sox Park(31st, 35th, and Pershing exits ) are HALF A BLOCK EAST OF THE STADIUM!

The Cubs have a free(con't argue with that) remote lot for 1000 cars, but that is at Irving and Rockwell, still about 2 miles from the park. And fans need to take a shuttle from there. Sox have 7000 ON-SITE parking spaces. At a reduced cost of $20 per game($10 on sundays).

You got me beat on the oh so important nightlife and "hang out after the game options". But The sox allow tailgating pre-game(with a little postgame) and I always see the vast majority of cars leave the park as soon as the game ends. Maybe the marketplace has spoken in that regard.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Wrigley is not as good transit wise as Sox Park. The red Line stop services three lines, but it's only ONE STATION. 10k people go into ONE STATION postgame. Sox have three SEPARATE stops/lines on 35th street. big differenace.

Bus service means nothing when there are 12-15k cars filling the streets in a square mile around wrigley.

LSD does NOT have an Addison exit. You need to get off at Irving or Belmont. AND, the Drive is a parking lot as you get into rush hour from Roosevelt TO Hollywood.

The Kennedy exit for Addison(and Irving) is as far West as Pulaski. That's almost FOUR MILES from the Friendly Confines.(Belmont is at Kedzie, which makes it around three miles west). The Dan Ryan exits for Sox Park(31st, 35th, and Pershing exits ) are HALF A BLOCK EAST OF THE STADIUM!

The Cubs have a free(con't argue with that) remote lot for 1000 cars, but that is at Irving and Rockwell, still about 2 miles from the park. And fans need to take a shuttle from there. Sox have 7000 ON-SITE parking spaces. At a reduced cost of $20 per game($10 on sundays).

You got me beat on the oh so important nightlife and "hang out after the game options". But The sox allow tailgating pre-game(with a little postgame) and I always see the vast majority of cars leave the park as soon as the game ends. Maybe the marketplace has spoken in that regard.

it doesn't matter about what you are trying to defend about parking,

while it is a good point, the area is not appealing. it needs to be in

an area where it is convenient for the masses.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
give me a freaking break. show the links of this so called info that

you are spouting.

There was quite a few articles about this after the announcement. of course, the braves are not stupid enough to say that, but the ticket data they used to rationalize the move skews toward the more affluent white suburban counties. The failed to account for walk-up or season ticket sales, as the data was only ticketmaster online sales. you add the season sales, and the number push sales into the city center at a closer rate to single game sales.

Of course, the braves didn't want to pay for the updates to turner field, and a free stadium in the burbs was in reach. But they cited lack of rail access to turner field as a detriment, but are moving into a county that had vetoed almost every MARTA extension, so take it as you will.

Also of note, but not really in this post, was the braves now complaining about having to use a renovated olympic venue for home games all these years. but the truth of the matte ris that the olympic organizers DESIGNED turner field to be converted into a baseball only facility after the 1996 games. It was always the plan.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
it doesn't matter about what you are trying to defend about parking,

while it is a good point, the area is not appealing. it needs to be in

an area where it is convenient for the masses.

i literally just explained why the 35th street site is the best option for the sox in the city. It is MORE than convenient for the masses.

Am I missing something?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
For whenever we are due a new stadium, the Sox need to commit to either the suburbs or downtown. I'd prefer downtown, personally.

I think I was the one who originally brought up the post office site a few months back. Admittedly I was ignorant of the history a few months back, but if the price is ever right, I'd love to see it.

the land cost prohibits downtown. unless the city AND the state got involved.

And suburban communities are trying to fill space NOW. They won't hold onto land for 15-20 years in the hopes the sox come. At least the ones that are experiencing growth in home and retail development.

If the cubs, working from a position of market strength, refused to look at FREE LAND offers from Rosemont and other communities, why would the Sox, who are in a favorable lease with IFSA?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
People are driving less and less, clearly key to sox future is to ignore that trend and buy in the suburbs. Known by all for interesting nightlife and transportation convenience.
Well, a Culvers or Chili's by the park would make season ticket sales SOAR!

My after work routine for games:

Go to Walgreens

Buy two 24 oz beers

Take green line

Go to parking lot and sit on curb, share beer with friend

Walk in

I love this. It's very convenient. When I lived in suburbs no train past 1030 was a bummer, but that should be an easy fix.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)

Go to Walgreens

Buy two 24 oz beers

Take green line

Walk in

I love this. It's very convenient. When I lived in suburbs no train past 1030 was a bummer, but that should be an easy fix.

a six pack of old style is cheaper.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)

Go to Walgreens

Buy two 24 oz beers

Take green line

Walk in

Big Hurt Beer I assume...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)

i read the articles and thanks

now my point is and again my opinion. someone has an agenda. what

ever that agenda is i let everyone else form that answer.

i still say it is economical driven in both ways. moving to the western

subs and those who wants it in the same area.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Jim Thompson financed the park. Daley was running for office in 1988. Eugene Sawyer was the mayor at the time. And the man he replaced, Harold Washington, is the one that made the deal with Thompson to keep the Sox at 35th and Shields.

yes i know, but you really need to understand, the dem party and yes daley and his

family was a big part of that, helped.

that is all

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)

long time ago, and i think it was when the bulls were for sale, i may be wrong, but

the newspaper were running something about how, after the lease the sox may

be next to the stadium. the bears ownership were angry and was having a war with

Wriz. i remember Billy boy just told the bears to name a price and he would buy the

bears. some one even mention how the bears, sox and hawks being in the same area.

nothing else was said after that.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
i literally just explained why the 35th street site is the best option for the sox in the city. It is MORE than convenient for the masses.

Am I missing something?

yes the masses and convenient in walk up, the area appealiing after the

game excitement.

i know it is a poor excuse, but as long as that is not there, the sox will

find it hard to attract the huge numbers and maintain the popularity of

that draw.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
yes i know, but you really need to understand, the dem party and yes daley and his

family was a big part of that, helped.

that is all

Daley was not even in office. He was RUNNING for mayor. All he did was shovel some dirt at the groundbreaking.

Jerry reinsdorf's college buddy got the $186 million for the stadium. That and Michael Madigan stopping the clock.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
yes the masses and convenient in walk up, the area appealiing after the

game excitement.

i know it is a poor excuse, but as long as that is not there, the sox will

find it hard to attract the huge numbers and maintain the popularity of

that draw.

The masses can get there EASIER than at any other facility in Chicago.

The 2006 season had 59 sellouts despite no "nightlife" and the dan Ryan reconstruction.

Maybe sox fans go there when the team wins 90 games and competed for a division title?

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 29, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
long time ago, and i think it was when the bulls were for sale, i may be wrong, but

the newspaper were running something about how, after the lease the sox may

be next to the stadium. the bears ownership were angry and was having a war with

Wriz. i remember Billy boy just told the bears to name a price and he would buy the

bears. some one even mention how the bears, sox and hawks being in the same area.

nothing else was said after that.

And what does this have to do with my extensive deconstruction of your earlier comment about wrigley traffic?

Sox stadium to me isn't that different to me from Citi parks location. It's not the iconic "mixed within the city" look of San Fran, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Boston, Bronx, Coors, etc...but it's the next best thing. The stadiums that work in suburban locations are almost all in cities with low density and driving is expected.

It's basically "good enough" and anything you swap it out with would be about as convenient, otherwise it's improbable from a cost standpoint without significant city buy-in...and why would Chicago?