2015 Tennis Thread

I am jealous, though, Mags.

In 2013 I did three days/nights at Cincinnati, and that was amazing. I basically saw just about every player I wanted to see, incredibly close up. Got a few autographs, etc. (also did a day at the Challenger in Winnetka)

Then last year was the big one. Saved for a year to do almost two weeks in London, built around the first four days of Wimbledon. In the week before I also did a day at Wimbledon qualifying as well as quarterfinals at Eastbourne. Then last September I went to all three days of Davis Cup at the Sears Centre.

This year I am basically staying home. Doing two days at Winnetka but that's it. Hoping to get to Canada, USO, or DC sometime in the next few years. Indian Wells would be amazing but it doesn't fit into my schedule as a teacher. Miami sometimes does; that's an option. Problem is flying and then getting there is supposed to be a pain, and the tournament organization and facilities are supposed to be on the decline.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 29, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
My wife wants to go to Aussie open but it always looks miserable to me. I feel like I'd die of heat stroke.

Yeah, it sounds amazing and apparently is incredibly well-run...but the heat is pretty intimidating.

On a more immediate note: hell of an order of play for tomorrow. Glad I'll be home to watch it.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

Was thinking of staying up for this one, pretty glad I didn't in the end.

Rafa just hasn't looked right all season, I think unfortunately, his body is a shell of what it once was, no-one has punished themselves more over the last 5-7 years. I know he's had a lot of knee issues lately, and really just hasn't gotten into a groove all season long, hence why he was ranked #6 coming into the tournament.

I hope we get to see him at his best again, but I have serious question marks whether we ever will again unfortunately.

Also, I think Murray is a sneaky chance to beat Djokovic, he's been fantastic on clay this season, and he'll want revenge for the AUS Open Final. Could see this going to 5 sets at least.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
Was thinking of staying up for this one, pretty glad I didn't in the end.

Rafa just hasn't looked right all season, I think unfortunately, his body is a shell of what it once was, no-one has punished themselves more over the last 5-7 years. I know he's had a lot of knee issues lately, and really just hasn't gotten into a groove all season long, hence why he was ranked #6 coming into the tournament.

I hope we get to see him at his best again, but I have serious question marks whether we ever will again unfortunately.

Also, I think Murray is a sneaky chance to beat Djokovic, he's been fantastic on clay this season, and he'll want revenge for the AUS Open Final. Could see this going to 5 sets at least.

He's looked down and out before and then rattled off a few majors.

I don't get any enjoyment out of watching Murray. Would rather watch Stan. Just no to Ferrar.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
I don't get it. I feel Djokovic should be winning majors consistently and he's just a consistent let down.

I agree, with Federer way past his prime and Nadal being on the downswing the past few years Djokovic is so far ahead of everyone else in terms of talent he should be dominating on a Federer(prime) type level. He still wins a lot, but I think he could have had a much better career.

Even with Nadal on downswing he has still owned French, that's one major down as unlikely. Murray had his "uk player at wimbledon" moment. Really the only stain on his record as far as I'm concerned was last years US open.

Stan just seems to be a good matchup for him.

Also, Big 4 can now be retired.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
I don't get it. I feel Djokovic should be winning majors consistently and he's just a consistent let down.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
I agree, with Federer way past his prime and Nadal being on the downswing the past few years Djokovic is so far ahead of everyone else in terms of talent he should be dominating on a Federer(prime) type level. He still wins a lot, but I think he could have had a much better career.

Aside from Rafa at Roland Garros, Federer '05-'07 didn't need to deal with anything close to the level of what Djokovic has to deal with in terms of today's top guys.

The guy is going to retire with a dozen majors and maybe 200(!) weeks at #1. Arising from the shadow of Federer and Nadal. Not at all a disappointment.

Could we have won a few more major finals? Sure. But keep in mind that most of the losses you're thinking of are to Rafa at RG. He had a bit of a fallow period (a lot going on in his personal life; deaths among friends and family etc) in parts of '12 and '13, but...look at the guy's consistency at the biggest events. When did he last go out early at a Masters 1000, let alone a major?

I'm disappointed, too. I am. Someday he'll win this thing. It sucks that it was Stan, because he's maybe my absolute favorite player to watch live and I want great things for him, but...

No matter. Djokovic is still in amazing position to dominate the tour for the next three or four years, IMO.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
No matter. Djokovic is still in amazing position to dominate the tour for the next three or four years, IMO.

Things people said 5 years ago.

Novak is super likable so hope it doesn't come off as me hating on him. It's just confusing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 04:43 AM)
Things people said 5 years ago.

Novak is super likable so hope it doesn't come off as me hating on him. It's just confusing.

Nope. The immediate outlook of the tour now is much weaker than it five years ago.

Also, he has dominated the tour. He's won 35 titles since the beginning of 2011 (Rafa has 21, Fed 19, Murray 17. I can't go through and count everyone's but I doubt Ferrer even has much more than 10 in that span). And he hardly ever plays 250s and 500s.

Look at his results at the majors. Only once in that span has he failed to make the final weekend. That's a streak that's topped only by Federer in the Open Era. 150 weeks at #1 since the beginning of 2011

Yes, his record in major finals could be better. But again, these guys at the top are facing competition in these finals unlike any other time in Open Era history.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
Nobody is going to say Novak hasn't had an impressive career that is still far from over, but bottom line in Tennis you are remembered and judged by # of Majors won. Djokovic could/should easily have been at a higher number given his talent.

This is an incredibly recent phenomenon. Do you know how many majors Rod Laver has, off the top of your head? The idea of "slam count=ultimate count of greatness" only really became a focus in the late 90s when Sampras reached 14.

But even if we're going to do this, Novak Djokovic has as many majors at 27 as Agassi and Connors retired with, and more than McEnroe. You really need to keep in mind the level of competition he's been facing in these finals, too. You NEED to adjust for era. Federer's biggest competition was guys like Nalbandian, Safin, Roddick. No offense to them, but they don't really compare to today's top guys.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
This is an incredibly recent phenomenon. Do you know how many majors Rod Laver has, off the top of your head? The idea of "slam count=ultimate count of greatness" only really became a focus in the late 90s when Sampras reached 14.

But even if we're going to do this, Novak Djokovic has as many majors at 27 as Agassi and Connors retired with, and more than McEnroe. You really need to keep in mind the level of competition he's been facing in these finals, too. You NEED to adjust for era. Federer's biggest competition was guys like Nalbandian, Safin, Roddick. No offense to them, but they don't really compare to today's top guys.

I think you are overrating the top guys of this era given the decline of Nadal/Federer and again nobody is saying Djokovic isn't a great just he wont be remembered the same as Nadal/Federer while probably more talented than both.

• 3 months later...