Ortiz traded to Atlanta

The Critic

Let's proclaim ourselves KW Supporters!!!!! Gimme a break! Reports last night from ESPN said Ortiz could have been had for 3 White Sox prospects..... fringe prospects at that..... not C Lee or PK. And still, KW couldn't get it done.

I think SF, knowing they had to unload salary, figured, "Who's the most gullible SOB at these winter meetings?", and figured they'd take on the salary of a PK if KW was dumb enough to trade him. Once KW balked at trading Konerko (which he should have done), it was a "no deal." The Sox were probably further away from this deal than we all thought.

Sorry, but I don't buy that we could of got him for fringe prospects.

The Braves gave up a guy in Damian Moss, that I'd take any day of the week over Russ Ortiz.

Moss is a young lefty that proved last year he could pitch at the major league level.

This was a real foolish move on the Braves part.

It would of been a lot like us giving up Garland for Ortiz.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Sorry, but I don't buy that we could of got him for fringe prospects.

The Braves gave up a guy in Damian Moss, that I'd take any day of the week over Russ Ortiz.

Moss is a young lefty that proved last year he could pitch at the major league level.

This was a real foolish move on the Braves part.

It would of been a lot like us giving up Garland for Ortiz.

Well, according to some of the posts here, Almonte, Honel, Borchard, Rauch, Ring, Diaz, etc. were not the names being mentioned as the 3 reported prospects. Makes the 3 fringe IMHO.

This is just great. There goes our last option. We're gonna go into next year with all young kids and no proven #2 pitcher, and Im saying it right now, it's going to be a looooong season. Look at whats left out there. KW is out of the running for anyone from Montreal (I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it anything). The FA pitchers left all suck. The only decent one, Byrd, will be gone today to team team not named the White Sox. Once again our incompetent GM fails to make a good move. :**** KW!!!!!:****

Originally posted by CubKilla

Let's proclaim ourselves KW Supporters!!!!!

It's being reported that the Giants offered a deal of Liefer, Harris, and a minor leaguer (either Stewart or Malone) for Ortiz, and KW said no! Are you f***ing kidding me? No? He should be castrated if he said no to that!

Cubkilla, I agree they were discussing the deal, but from what someone else posted here it was Willie Harris, Jeff Liefer, and Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart.

For all we know KW was going to make that deal and then the Braves offer came in. That offer blows ours out of the water.

Damian Moss is an awesome pitcher. If we could get him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Totally DISGUSTING Jjav..... :puke KW

Agreed. I woke up hoping to see stories all over about the Sox getting Ortiz, and I go to cbssportsline.com first to check, and I see Ortiz to the Braves! I just started saying f*** and hitting my desk. Not the news I wanted to hear first thing in the morning.

look for KW to attempt to be "creative" in his attempts to get this team on track. that is his goal every year. he dabbles in the big deals but we all know its all for show and what he really wants is to pick up some forgotten, washed-up, should-be-retired veteran and turn it into wins. That way he will be known as the shrewdest GM around.

Hey it worked once with Cal Eldred, why can't he do it again?

Cubkilla, I agree they were discussing the deal, but from what someone else posted here it was Willie Harris, Jeff Liefer, and Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart. 

For all we know KW was going to make that deal and then the Braves offer came in.  That offer blows ours out of the water.

"Immediately" is the key thought here Chisoxfn. If KW sat on that offer and, by sitting on it, Atlanta was able to move in with the better offer, then KW should be FIRED!!!!! Goddamn..... that was relatively nothing for Ortiz! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko

look for KW to attempt to be "creative" in his attempts to get this team on track. that is his goal every year. he dabbles in the big deals but we all know its all for show and what he really wants is to pick up some forgotten, washed-up, should-be-retired veteran and turn it into wins. That way he will be known as the shrewdest GM around.

Hey it worked once with Cal Eldred, why can't he do it again?

Yep, I can just see what he says after he signs a FA pitcher and then proclaims him the best thing since sliced bread and talks about how this pitcher will certainly help the team and blah blah blah. The pitcher... Steve Parris.

BTW, Im pissed at myself. Im promised myself at the beginning of the offseason that I wouldn't get my hopes up about KW actually getting us a #2 pitcher because it wouldn't happen. And then all these names started swirling (Vazquez, Colon, Ortiz) and I started getting excited thinking that we would get one of them. Now Im disappointed because I realize that we're not going to get any of them, or any other good pitcher, because our GM is an imcompetent f*** who wouldn't even succeed as the GM of a little league team. (I realize little league teams don't have GM's, but you get the point.)

Originally posted by KipWellsFan

I think I'm the only one happy not to have traded for Ortiz.  I guess I just dont feel too highly of him.

I wasn't for trading Konerko for Ortiz, but Ortiz has been an above .500 pitcher for the last four seasons. And, according to the above posts, KW sat on a Ortiz for Liefer/Harris/Malone deal. Sitting on that deal for an above .500 pitcher the last four seasons when the team you GM needs starting pitching badly is unacceptable. The fact that Atlanta wasn't mentioned last night and now they have Ortiz proves that someone was skeptical of pulling the trigger on the above deal. Considering SF was looking to trim payroll, that only leaves one person..... KW!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

For all we know KW was going to make that deal and then the Braves offer came in.  That offer blows ours out of the water.

"Immediately" is the key thought here Chisoxfn. If KW sat on that offer and, by sitting on it, Atlanta was able to move in with the better offer, then KW should be FIRED!!!!! Goddamn..... that was relatively nothing for Ortiz! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well if we were giving up Malone and Harris I could see sitting on it. Plus, we don't know if Sabean was negotiating with both sides at the same time, trying to increase the value. I know the Braves were interested in yesterday as well.

Originally posted by KipWellsFan

I think I'm the only one happy not to have traded for Ortiz.  I guess I just dont feel too highly of him.

I wasn't for trading Konerko for Ortiz, but Ortiz has been an above .500 pitcher for the last four seasons. And, according to the above posts, KW sat on a Ortiz for Liefer/Harris/Malone deal. Sitting on that deal for an above .500 pitcher the last four seasons when the team you GM needs starting pitching badly is unacceptable. The fact that Atlanta wasn't mentioned last night and now they have Ortiz proves that someone was skeptical of pulling the trigger on the above deal. Considering SF was looking to trim payroll, that only leaves one person..... KW!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They don't say he sat on it, they say that those were some of the names passed. We don't know if thats what he offered or if thats what Sabean offered.

i set my hopes too that today we will get Ortiz from the SF. i dont know why KW didnt get Ortiz because we definitely need pitching. Good starters will bring us far to the postseason. we need another pitcher that can give us 18-20 wins the way Buerhle can. If we have two 20 game winners, that's half way to a winning season. WE DESPERATELY NEED A #2 guy. but i guess now we wont get that. I guess Plan B(staying with what we have) is what we will have all along. we dont have any options on who we'll get as our #2 starter. if KW cant pull this deal to get Ortiz then i am not sure KW can ever get Colon/Vazquez. i hope i am wrong with KW but what are the odds he can prove me wrong.

Originally posted by Jjav829

It's being reported that the Giants offered a deal of Liefer, Harris, and a minor leaguer (either Stewart or Malone) for Ortiz, and KW said no! Are you f***ing kidding me? No? He should be castrated if he said no to that!

Where is that being reported? If you're referring to the Rogers article, it does NOT say that KW turned that deal down.

Phil Rogers did NOT say Williams turned that offer down. IT's WAY more likely that Williams MADE that offer and Sabean laughed at him.

It's possible Sabean then asked for Konerko - and that one Williams had to think about.

I probably would have still done it - but it's definitely one that should have been thought long and hard about.

Russ Ortiz walks a TON of hitters - and that could get you murdered in the AL.

I agree with Chisoxfn - I'd almost rather have Moss - and I'm not sure why Atlanta made this deal.

Of course - Atlanta still needs a first baseman don't they - and San Fran needed to shed salay (which getting Konerko wouldn't do).

Maybe - just maybe - Atlanta turns around and sends Ortiz to the Sox for Paulie - hey stranger things have happened. Just call me 'conspiracy theorist'.

Originally posted by rt59_bnsf

Phil Rogers did NOT say Williams turned that offer down.  IT's WAY more likely that Williams MADE that offer and Sabean laughed at him.

It's possible Sabean then asked for Konerko - and that one Williams had to think about.

I probably would have still done it - but it's definitely one that should have been thought long and hard about.

I agree with Chisoxfn - I'd almost rather have Moss - and I'm not sure why Atlanta made this deal.

Of course - Atlanta still needs a first baseman don't they - and San Fran needed to shed salay (which getting Konerko wouldn't do).

Maybe - just maybe - Atlanta turns around and sends Ortiz to the Sox for Paulie - hey stranger things have happened.  Just call me 'conspiracy theorist'.

I DEFINITLY would want Moss more than Harrs and Liefer

Originally posted by hold2dibber

Where is that being reported?  If you're referring to the Rogers article, it does NOT say that KW turned that deal down.

Welcome Aboard hold2dibbler.

I'm glad I have at least someone uttering the same thing I am.

The only thing Rogers is saying that those names were mentioned, but you don't know who was doing the mentioning or if it was even a deal, they could of still been discussing players.

Also, Cubkilla, the Braves were rumored to be after him yesterday (I Know you missed a lot of the stuff that happenned earlier in the day, but they were very interested as well)

Originally posted by rt59_bnsf

Phil Rogers did NOT say Williams turned that offer down.  IT's WAY more likely that Williams MADE that offer and Sabean laughed at him.

Maybe - just maybe - Atlanta turns around and sends Ortiz to the Sox for Paulie - hey stranger things have happened.  Just call me 'conspiracy theorist'.

Great post. I think Ortiz would of definately been able to win 18-20, but hey, the Braves got him at a higher price. I will continue to say that would of been like us trading Garland or maybe Wright for Ortiz. Of course I would of probably done Wright for Ortiz, but it still wouldn't really solve the rotation, it would just be an upgrade.

Interesting to see what Jayson Stark said. I think he's a pretty reliable reporter, much more so, then say Peter Gammons.