The Beer Thread

ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (SnB @ May 12, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
I went there last Saturday, give it a few more weeks. They didn't have quite a few beers on their menu ready yet.

Jeez what are the odds we all end up there at the same time, we'll know who each other are by the collective whining during a Sox game.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
I like both Three Floyds and Half Acre but also really enjoy Metropolitan, Two Brothers and Finch. So once again I have no answer.

I've got some Domaine DuPage in the fridge at home.

I've had Off Color Brewing's Scurry and Troublesome, both of those were pretty good.

off-color-scurry.png

QUOTE (SnB @ May 12, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
I went there last Saturday, give it a few more weeks. They didn't have quite a few beers on their menu ready yet.

This was for Beer Shop, right? They change their taps a ton, like at least two each time I've been there. You might have caught them just after they tapped a new one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Jeez what are the odds we all end up there at the same time, we'll know who each other are by the collective whining during a Sox game.

If you ever see ZoomSlowik on their video board for Untappd checkins, just wave. :lol:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
This was for Beer Shop, right? They change their taps a ton, like at least two each time I've been there. You might have caught them just after they tapped a new one.

Exit Strategy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
I'm thinking ill ride my bike over there this weekend to check it back out. I want to try the food. If its good it may take some of my business from FatDuck.

Sunday will probably be better than Saturday. There's a tasting at Famous and I believe Exit Strategy is doing a bunch of stuff for it.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 11, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Random beer topic: If you could only drink products from one brewery for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Assume that you have unlimited access to any/all of their beers that are still being produced and that you can acquire any beer for macro-brew prices.

I think if I had to choose one it would probably be Samuel Smith's. Their Organic Chocolate Stout is probably my favorite beer and I also really like their Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout. Their beer is also rather expensive so getting it at macro prices would be nice.

If I were to choose a local brewery, the loyal Wisconsinite in me would choose New Glarus.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 6, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
One of my favorite breweries is Greenbush from Sawyer, MI. Flat out some of the best stuff in the area, unfortunately they are smaller (they've at least tripled in size) and only distribute kegs right now but a fair amount makes it into Chicago. If you're ever on 94 in SW Michigan I highly recommend stopping by, that place is a fun time and is immensely popular now in the area.

Zoom, check out Dupont Brasserie, they have some fantastic Belgian beers are available at Binnys:

-Moinette Blonde and Brune are their staples, great stuff

-Saison Dupont is one of the best saisons I've had

-avec le bons voeux is a great winter seasonal

Also, De Halve Maan Brasserie is also great, if you ever see Staffe Hendrik Quad (not the tripel) then buy a few bottles, one of the best beers I've ever had.

Also, I've had probably over a hundred Belgium and Trappist beers over the years, I was abroad in the Netherlands and found their styles to be my favorite. If you ever want some tips or anything just let me know.

I'm late to the party here, but growing up about 15 minutes away from Greenbush I have to say it has been a huge addition to SW Michigan. Great beers and something that was very needed in the area. I went to college in Kzoo so I have a small preference to Bell's over Founders, but both are great as well.

I've been out in Denver for the last 5 years and I saw someone mention Prost Brewing. I've only been once and found it enjoyable. Right down the road is Denver Beer CO and I have spent a lot of time there. Delicious beers and great atmosphere. New Belgium in Ft. Collins is one of the coolest businesses, let alone breweries, that I have ever heard of. That would be a dream place to work. They treat their employees like gold and their employees are all part owners. I finally checked out the new Avery Brewery in Boulder last weekend and was blown away there as well. Not only do they have my favorite IPA, but their food is incredible. They smoke a ton of their food right outside the taproom and they keep the windows open so the smell makes it so you can't say no to eating there.

I could go on and on about CO breweries though. If any of you ever come out here it is definitely worth checking out some of the different breweries in the area. Seems like there are new ones popping up every week, but the big ones really are worth the hype.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 14, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
I'm late to the party here, but growing up about 15 minutes away from Greenbush I have to say it has been a huge addition to SW Michigan. Great beers and something that was very needed in the area. I went to college in Kzoo so I have a small preference to Bell's over Founders, but both are great as well.

I've been out in Denver for the last 5 years and I saw someone mention Prost Brewing. I've only been once and found it enjoyable. Right down the road is Denver Beer CO and I have spent a lot of time there. Delicious beers and great atmosphere. New Belgium in Ft. Collins is one of the coolest businesses, let alone breweries, that I have ever heard of. That would be a dream place to work. They treat their employees like gold and their employees are all part owners. I finally checked out the new Avery Brewery in Boulder last weekend and was blown away there as well. Not only do they have my favorite IPA, but their food is incredible. They smoke a ton of their food right outside the taproom and they keep the windows open so the smell makes it so you can't say no to eating there.

I could go on and on about CO breweries though. If any of you ever come out here it is definitely worth checking out some of the different breweries in the area. Seems like there are new ones popping up every week, but the big ones really are worth the hype.

So you smoke and then go in to enjoy the smoked food.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 14, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)

Denver Beer Co is a favorite of mine (I've lived out here the last year and half). So are Hogshead, Diebolt, Ratio, River North, Beryl's, De Steeg, and Cannonball Creek (in Golden but still).

Like you, I could go on and on about CO breweries.

EDIT: In my experience, the best two bars for good beer (not breweries) in the Denver area are Falling Rock, right near Coors Field and Colorado Plus in Wheat Ridge. Colorado Plus has 70+ rotating taps of CO microbrews (3 or 4 taps are stuff they make) and the food is really good as well.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 14, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
Denver Beer Co is a favorite of mine (I've lived out here the last year and half). So are Hogshead, Diebolt, Ratio, River North, Beryl's, De Steeg, and Cannonball Creek (in Golden but still).

Like you, I could go on and on about CO breweries.

EDIT: In my experience, the best two bars for good beer (not breweries) in the Denver area are Falling Rock, right near Coors Field and Colorado Plus in Wheat Ridge. Colorado Plus has 70+ rotating taps of CO microbrews (3 or 4 taps are stuff they make) and the food is really good as well.

I've never been to either of those bars, I need to check them out! I live in the Regis/Berkley neighborhood and a brewery called Goldspot just opened a few blocks from my place. It's not my favorite brewery, but considering it's a 2 minute walk they have gotten a good amount of my business.

De Steeg is another one that is walking distance for me. Crazy that the only entrance is from the alley behind Tennyson St. I heard 3 of the brewers from Avery are starting there own brewery on Tennyson that should be opening soon as well.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 14, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
I've never been to either of those bars, I need to check them out! I live in the Regis/Berkley neighborhood and a brewery called Goldspot just opened a few blocks from my place. It's not my favorite brewery, but considering it's a 2 minute walk they have gotten a good amount of my business.

De Steeg is another one that is walking distance for me. Crazy that the only entrance is from the alley behind Tennyson St. I heard 3 of the brewers from Avery are starting there own brewery on Tennyson that should be opening soon as well.

Yeah, Call to Arms is the one from the Avery guys - should be walking distance for you as well - I'm excited for that one to open.

Haven't been to Goldspot, but the wife and I have been meaning to give them a try. Hogshead, De Steeg and Joyride are the breweries in walking distance for us (West Highland). De Steeg is the wife's favorite brewery, but you are right - finding the entrance can be an ordeal.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, Call to Arms is the one from the Avery guys - should be walking distance for you as well - I'm excited for that one to open.

Haven't been to Goldspot, but the wife and I have been meaning to give them a try. Hogshead, De Steeg and Joyride are the breweries in walking distance for us (West Highland). De Steeg is the wife's favorite brewery, but you are right - finding the entrance can be an ordeal.

Oh nice. I've been to Joyride a few times, too and enjoy it. I'm not bringing this up for their beer selection, but have you ever been to Sloan's? We go there pretty frequently. Good happy hour and good food. Drink for free on your birthday.

I've put way too much thought into this, so I'll ask for opinions.

I have to buy beer for a party we're hosting. At least 30 guests with variable drinking levels depending on who shows up. There will likely not be other beer snobs there, but I want stuff I will drink in case I buy too much. I guess another way to word it is I want good beer that will appeal to average drinkers as well as me without going crazy on price. I'm thinking...

Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted Ale (probably 12 and 6)

Revolution, probably a 6 each of Anti-Hero and Bottom Up (Fist City?)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale maybe?

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions. Unfortunately, I will probably have to buy some light beer even though it goes against my pinciples.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
I've put way too much thought into this, so I'll ask for opinions.

I have to buy beer for a party we're hosting. At least 30 guests with variable drinking levels depending on who shows up. There will likely not be other beer snobs there, but I want stuff I will drink in case I buy too much. I guess another way to word it is I want good beer that will appeal to average drinkers as well as me without going crazy on price. I'm thinking...

Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted Ale (probably 12 and 6)

Revolution, probably a 6 each of Anti-Hero and Bottom Up (Fist City?)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale maybe?

Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions. Unfortunately, I will probably have to buy some light beer even though it goes against my pinciples.

If I'm you, I have a case of Bud, Miller or Coors (probably the light version) product around, unless you're certain they won't get touched. Some people just like that stuff primarily. Then, get some IPAs and wheat ales for the craft drinkers. If I'm a guest at your party, doesn't matter to me if it's one of Anti Hero or 2 Hearted, or one of Bottom Up or Oberon. Bottomline is I'm happy you have something other then the Bud/Miller/Coors beers.

It's a much larger scale, but I used to do some wedding bartending, and this one time the groom went all craft beers, and a big portion of the guests wouldn't touch the stuff. They actually ended up supplying us a case of Miller Lite on their own, but it wasn't nearly enough and we had to make a run to get more.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 14, 2015 -> 05:32 AM)
I think if I had to choose one it would probably be Samuel Smith's. Their Organic Chocolate Stout is probably my favorite beer and I also really like their Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout. Their beer is also rather expensive so getting it at macro prices would be nice.

If I were to choose a local brewery, the loyal Wisconsinite in me would choose New Glarus.

Ahh, good call. Nut Brown Ale is a fav of mine.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 15, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
If I'm you, I have a case of Bud, Miller or Coors (probably the light version) product around, unless you're certain they won't get touched. Some people just like that stuff primarily. Then, get some IPAs and wheat ales for the craft drinkers. If I'm a guest at your party, doesn't matter to me if it's one of Anti Hero or 2 Hearted, or one of Bottom Up or Oberon. Bottomline is I'm happy you have something other then the Bud/Miller/Coors beers.

It's a much larger scale, but I used to do some wedding bartending, and this one time the groom went all craft beers, and a big portion of the guests wouldn't touch the stuff. They actually ended up supplying us a case of Miller Lite on their own, but it wasn't nearly enough and we had to make a run to get more.

Yeah, I already assumed I have to buy a case of some light crap for recent college grads/people with bad taste. :D

My main concern was "inoffensive" craft beers. I figure people are more likely to choose/enjoy something like the ones I posted than some imperial IPA with 100+ IBU's (I guess Anti-Hero is 70 according to their website, but you can get it everywhere now, so people must like it). Short of driving up to Wisconsin for some Spotted Cow, I'm struggling to come up with other good options.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I just mixed up a couple six packs. I'm in a wheat-y mood (which is my favorite anyway). I grabbed:

4 Fin du Monde

1 White Rascal (Avery Brewing)

1 Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

1 Alaskan White

1 Bell's Oberon

1 Bell's Oarsman Ale

1 Hell or High Watermelon (21st Amendment)

1 Clemmentine White Ale (Clown Shoes)

1 Trappistes Rochefort

It'll be a fun Friday.