6/3 Games

GGajewski18

Why isn't saladino a more highly rated prospect? He is shaking off some rust now, as i expected, but he has pretty good tools. Had a solid year at AAA last year. Good speed, decent power for a SS. Seems like he could be an above average utility player or a decent shortstop.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:01 AM)
Why isn't saladino a more highly rated prospect? He is shaking off some rust now, as i expected, but he has pretty good tools. Had a solid year at AAA last year. Good speed, decent power for a SS. Seems like he could be an above average utility player or a decent shortstop.

offensively i just don't see him being a starter. except for 1 yr, his avg is practically low.

if he is going to make it, it will be based on his defense.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
I haven't been playing attention...what's Hawkins injury and how long is he out?

Finger injury he aggravated. Nothing serious, should be back very soon.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
Keenyn Walker now has 7 AA ABs this year and 5 of those ended in whiffs. Let's hear it for toolsy outfielders!

Walker isn't much of a prospect, but it has precisely zero to do with 2 games in AA this year. Seriously - two games. His K rate in W-S was actually lower than it had been in years.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)

He has been pretty highly rated, ranked in the T25/T30 quite a few times and was even borderline T10 at one point. He's pretty good defensively at short and second, and is likely a utility player going forward. He makes good contact and has some pop & speed, so offense is probably his strong suit, along with being able to play middle infield competently.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
Keenyn Walker now has 7 AA ABs this year and 5 of those ended in whiffs. Let's hear it for toolsy outfielders!

Walker appears to have been a mistake drafting, but coming to any conclusions on anyone after a 7 AB sample size is hilarious.

Walker I think is someone who was clearly promoted too aggressively and was irrevocably harmed. I don't mean to say I think he'd have been a major leaguer with better development, but his production and things like the way he has talked on Twitter make it clear he has struggled to handle the massive failures he's had at just about every level. I really hate promoting guys with sky-high K rates like he's had just about every year and level except this one.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
Walker I think is someone who was clearly promoted too aggressively and was irrevocably harmed. I don't mean to say I think he'd have been a major leaguer with better development, but his production and things like the way he has talked on Twitter make it clear he has struggled to handle the massive failures he's had at just about every level. I really hate promoting guys with sky-high K rates like he's had just about every year and level except this one.

I really think the Sox do that by design. They would rather know young that a guy has make up problems, then to have to figure it out later on down the line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
I really think the Sox do that by design. They would rather know young that a guy has make up problems, then to have to figure it out later on down the line.

I think it's unfair to say a player has makeup problems if he doesn't handle failure as well as some. I know if I was pushed beyond my limits consistently and I failed miserably, I would be pretty down and upset as well.

He laid an egg in 2012 at Winston-Salem, so the org pushes him to AA the next season? That's the biggest jump in the minors, and of course he laid an even bigger egg in AA, yet they kept him there all season?

This organization has done an atrocious job of developing position players for years, and this is just part of the problem. You draft raw athletes and then push them through the system... I wonder what could happen?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
I think it's unfair to say a player has makeup problems if he doesn't handle failure as well as some. I know if I was pushed beyond my limits consistently and I failed miserably, I would be pretty down and upset as well.

He laid an egg in 2012 at Winston-Salem, so the org pushes him to AA the next season? That's the biggest jump in the minors, and of course he laid an even bigger egg in AA, yet they kept him there all season?

This organization has done an atrocious job of developing position players for years, and this is just part of the problem. You draft raw athletes and then push them through the system... I wonder what could happen?

I do think their tendency to push hitters to the point of failure is taken too far, and it has cost them. And Walker was pushed too fast. That said, Walker does have makeup issues - this has been reported a lot in the past couple years.

The good news with Walker is, by all accounts, he came into this year with a different attitude and approach. And it showed. Let's give him a chance in AA. With his speed, and his defense and arm strength, if he can make regular contact he may still be a prospect yet. I'm not saying he's a ranked one or anything- he's still quite fringy. But I wouldn't 100% write him off yet.