Draft Review

ChiSoxJon

Big fan of the draft this year all around, I'll update this post later and make it more extensive but who from this class of ours do we view as prospective? I view Fulmer, Erwin, Stephens, Zangari, Hickman, Schroeder, Glines, Conito, Flores, Lassiter, Cherry, and Hickman as most prospective, hope we get Michael Hickman signed

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Big fan of the draft this year all around, I'll update this post later and make it more extensive but who from this class of ours do we view as prospective? I view Fulmer, Erwin, Stephens, Zangari, Hickman, Schroeder, Glines, Conito, Flores, Lassiter, Cherry, and Hickman as most prospective, hope we get Michael Hickman signed

i am not seeing this a whole lot of prospects. beside Fulmer, i only see Stephens and hopefully hope for Hickman to develop as one. i really like Hickman. other than that. i will keep the rest of my comment to myself. with how the parent club is doing, i really don't want to add it here.

I think this was a solid draft, Fulmer was a great pick with the team's track record of developing pitchers.

Outside of him, I think the two prep players that we signed offer a lot to be excited about. Zangari has a lot of potential and big power which the system is starved of (plus the added benefit that he has a cannon for an arm in case he flames out at the plate and needs to transition to the mound). Comito sounds like the prototypical pitcher that this team's player development staff excels at developing, big kid with great stuff and just needs to learn the art of pitching.

A number of people have mentioned the upside of B. Hickman, which I agree with, I think he can make an impact at the major-league level at the very least as a reliever, but he's another player that should do well with the team's development staff. If he can add a cutter or figure out a way to get some movement on his fastball, he could be lethal.

The Sox also did a good job of identifying decent college players that have fallen for various reasons but still offer a ton of upside if they return to their previous level of play. In previous years they've made some very shrewd picks with Beck, Engel and Coats using this philosophy and this year I think that Stephens & Lassiter (possibly Schroeder) are those types of picks that could see quick rises through the system.

The darkhorse pick that I like and am anxious to follow his path through the minors is Seby Zavala, I mentioned this in a previous post but his make-up and game reminds me a lot of Yan Gomes when he was drafted. They both transitioned to catcher from other positions which sets them apart on their athleticism and they both put up solid numbers for more unheralded colleges.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
i am not seeing this a whole lot of prospects. beside Fulmer, i only see Stephens and hopefully hope for Hickman to develop as one. i really like Hickman. other than that. i will keep the rest of my comment to myself. with how the parent club is doing, i really don't want to add it here.

Not too sure what you were expecting with no 2nd and 3rd round picks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Not too sure what you were expecting with no 2nd and 3rd round picks.

there was some quality picks there. but we do not know if they were approach to see what it would it to signed them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
look up the name yourself.

for i will say this,

kep brown, j. hooper, g pickett, d. evertt, b moss, even d thompson.

They were available for a reason, signability issues. If the Sox drafted any of those guys in the 4-10 rounds, there would be the 0% chance the Sox sign them because they would have to blow past their pool money.

No reason to draft a guy when you know you can't reach their demands of money.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
look up the name yourself.

for i will say this,

kep brown, j. hooper, g pickett, d. evertt, b moss, even d thompson.

PIckett, Hooper, and Everett weren't going to sign though? I know the names. Your point doesn't make sense though. White Sox had a little more $5 million. Fulmer gets over $3 million of that. They just didn't have the $$ this year. They actually did fairly well considering the restrictions they had.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
PIckett, Hooper, and Everett weren't going to sign though? I know the names. Your point doesn't make sense though. White Sox had a little more $5 million. Fulmer gets over $3 million of that. They just didn't have the $$ this year. They actually did fairly well considering the restrictions they had.

and as i said in the post, i do not know if they were approach and what the cost would have been to signed. you are taking this again, to make a point. i just mention i was not a fan and i got jumped on.

jeez get a life.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
They were available for a reason, signability issues. If the Sox drafted any of those guys in the 4-10 rounds, there would be the 0% chance the Sox sign them because they would have to blow past their pool money.

No reason to draft a guy when you know you can't reach their demands of money.

in you infinite wisdom, i posted this

there was some quality picks there. but we do not know if they were approach to see what it would it to signed them.

i am still not a fan of this draft. i will stand my ground, i am not going to be a follower or a yes man.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
in you infinite wisdom, i posted this

i am still not a fan of this draft. i will stand my ground, i am not going to be a follower or a yes man.

You don't have to like it. Feel however you want to feel. You would have been the only one happy to see the Sox draft Justin Hooper or Everett in the middle rounds though. You put in a lot of time on this board and are very knowledgable so I don't really understand why you actually think that those guys somehow were signable and the Sox said "nah lets draft inferior guys for the same money".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
You don't have to like it. Feel however you want to feel. You would have been the only one happy to see the Sox draft Justin Hooper or Everett in the middle rounds though. You put in a lot of time on this board and are very knowledgable so I don't really understand why you actually think that those guys somehow were signable and the Sox said "nah lets draft inferior guys for the same money".

b moss, signed for half of what his slot value was. there was another one who signed for far less. trying to add a bonus money for a player that is not needed in the next 3 yrs, is my problem. the sox has additonal holes in the system, they need to find ways to fill them and address them.

they sox will not go into the fa market again, esp if it is associated with a comp pick. i believe many already knows this, they need players to fill in the holes.

unless the sox really dive into the cuban market next month, i don't know how to fill in the holes.

Year-by-Year legitimate prospects for us at time of selection:

'12: Hawkins, Barnum, Beck, DeMichele, Brennan, Basto, Hansen, Johnson, Guerrero, Ayala, Coats

'13: Anderson, Danish, May, Mitchell, Lowry, Michalczewski, Goldberg, Ball

'14: Rodon, Adams, Fry, Austin, Lechich, Jarvis, Fish

'15: Fulmer, Erwin, Stephens, Zangari, Hickman, Schroeder, Glines, Comito, Lassiter

Sidenotes:

Sike Orvis reminds me of the annual Dan Black, Danny Hayes pick

Glines and Lassiter are major steals, hopefully at least like Coats

Fulmer is future MLB starter

Erwin and Stephens should both be MLB relievers at least

Zangari has monster power, best HS bat for us in a while that late

Hickman has potential to be a star reliever

Michael Hickman, who likely won't sign, can be a star and our top C in the organization

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
Year-by-Year legitimate prospects for us at time of selection:

'12: Hawkins, Barnum, Beck, DeMichele, Brennan, Basto, Hansen, Johnson, Guerrero, Ayala, Coats

'13: Anderson, Danish, May, Mitchell, Lowry, Michalczewski, Goldberg, Ball

'14: Rodon, Adams, Fry, Austin, Lechich, Jarvis, Fish

'15: Fulmer, Erwin, Stephens, Zangari, Hickman, Schroeder, Glines, Comito, Lassiter

Sidenotes:

Sike Orvis reminds me of the annual Dan Black, Danny Hayes pick

Glines and Lassiter are major steals, hopefully at least like Coats

Fulmer is future MLB starter

Erwin and Stephens should both be MLB relievers at least

Zangari has monster power, best HS bat for us in a while that late

Hickman has potential to be a star reliever

Michael Hickman, who likely won't sign, can be a star and our top C in the organization

nice work you put in. many thanks

on my side not, i did not want hawkins or barnum

13 ..... i can't remembr

14. Fry and Austin. with fry i wanted J. Reetz-cat, pit and cat who was right after Fry