Alex Guerrero

kwill

I know that he has been discussed on this board but it seems like he would be a guy we may want to consider for third base as the organization has no directions at all for this position.

I would trade Zach Putnum for Alex Guerraro straight up. The Dodgers need middle relief to get the ball to Jansen. Putnum is having a great season so far but does us no go as our team is not in contention.

What do you guys think?

It depends also on how much (if any) the acquiring team would be expecting to have shaved off that contract.

Robertson for Guerrero (and no money changing hands) is a lot more realistic than Putnam/Duke/Petricka...you might have to give up Robertson AND one of those three and maybe you can get some money coming back as well.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
He's really bad with the glove. 2B, 3B (okay, barely adequate) and LF have just been bad.

Erisbel Arruebarruena...what's the latest with him? Good glove, but would fit perfectly at the bottom of our line-up probably??

One thing's for certain, nobody's going to spell his name correctly without looking it up first.

Good catch by Eminor on the Guerrero thing...although giving ab's to him wouldn't be any different than Beckham, Gillaspie, Flowers, Sanchez and Alexei, fwiw.

As long as they don't get desperate and think installing Hanley Ramirez there will fix everything...the guy basically has his own book about how disruptive he was with the Dodgers (The Best Team Money Can Buy) coming out in mid-July.

Edited by caulfield12

He has definitely fallen out of favor with the Dodgers as Alberto Callaspo is ahead of him in the depth chart. Wait till Hector Olivera comes back from the DL. There will be no room for him on the team.

If you read the article it says that he is going to be a great hitter but his fielding is unknown.

There is definitely risk here but it he is high upside bat that we desperately need as it is illegal for a scout in our organization to scout a position player who hits.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
He's really bad with the glove. 2B, 3B (okay, barely adequate) and LF have just been bad.

With all the PR in the offseason, it's a bit surprising that Olivera is the one raking and Moncada has been a bust (so far).

I'm not so sure Yasmani Tomas would have been the best signing, either. He's done "okay" but he's certainly not a plus defender, either. Has anyone watched any DBacks games this year?? I noticed he's not hitting for nearly as much power as was projected, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
With all the PR in the offseason, it's a bit surprising that Olivera is the one raking and Moncada has been a bust (so far).

I'm not so sure Yasmani Tomas would have been the best signing, either. He's done "okay" but he's certainly not a plus defender, either. Has anyone watched any DBacks games this year?? I noticed he's not hitting for nearly as much power as was projected, either.

Moncada just turned 20 years old, is in a new country for the first time (Greenville, SC is a little different than Cuba), and is facing pitchers that are far more advanced than those pitchers (of his age) in Cuba. He's hardly a bust.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)
Moncada just turned 20 years old, is in a new country for the first time (Greenville, SC is a little different than Cuba), and is facing pitchers that are far more advanced than those pitchers (of his age) in Cuba. He's hardly a bust.

He had unrealistic expectations placed upon his shoulders, no doubt.

The hype was "the next A-Rod," who was already in the big leagues at 19.

Obviously he has a LONG way to go, but I didn't think he would be struggling in the SAL. Obviously, it's partly rust, partly based on cultural adaptation and then shouldering the burden of "saving the Red Sox," but the instant impact (the same thing we heard upon the Viciedo signing) simply isn't going to happen.

So best to temper expectations, at least for the moment.

Of course, with Bogaerts, Ramirez and Pedroia, there's hardly an opening right now anyway.

FYI: Just noticed Y. Tomas was 4/5 right now in the game, all the way up to .328. Expected more power and .260's or .270's, so maybe they're satisfied with that...but I haven't seen him at 3B (right now he's batting clean-up and playing RF).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
Jose Abreu

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...P=dayan-viciedo

Would never imagine Dayan would be 2/11 with a double, triple and two walks.

Lol at 26 speed and 21 patience ratings at TBC. Pretty accurate.

Well, if we're going to play this game, it was the value signing of the decade...in Alexei Ramirez.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
Alex Guerrero has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent if he is traded. If he's good, he's a half year rental, if he's bad, we're stuck with his contract. He is not a good target because of this.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:37 AM)
He'd fit well into our infield then.....

The quoted post above yours plus his horrible defense would have me running away from his as fast as possible. The Sox are plagued enough with horrible defense.

Now, if Guerrero had a better contract and the Sox had an opening at DH I would be all for it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
The quoted post above yours plus his horrible defense would have me running away from his as fast as possible. The Sox are plagued enough with horrible defense.

Now, if Guerrero had a better contract and the Sox had an opening at DH I would be all for it.

It might be worth just sticking him at 3B for one season (2016) and seeing what happens.

Not the ideal solution...and another problem, Avi or Cabrera probably should be DH in 2016 to replace LaRoche.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
It might be worth just sticking him at 3B for one season (2016) and seeing what happens.

Not the ideal solution...and another problem, Avi or Cabrera probably should be DH in 2016 to replace LaRoche.

I don't know man, maybe the guy could play adequate defense if he was able to stay at one position but to acquire Guerrero means moves have to be made plus the Dodgers would have to absorb some of Guerrero's contract or be willing to take a contract from the Sox as part of the trade. Possible Samardzija/Guerrero swap in some form?

I'm kind of confused on the contract status myself after reading what BR has to say..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

Says earliest Arb/FA is 2018/2021. Can anyone shed some light on this?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)
I don't know man, maybe the guy could play adequate defense if he was able to stay at one position but to acquire Guerrero means moves have to be made plus the Dodgers would have to absorb some of Guerrero's contract or be willing to take a contract from the Sox as part of the trade. Possible Samardzija/Guerrero swap in some form?

I'm kind of confused on the contract status myself after reading what BR has to say..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

Says earliest Arb/FA is 2018/2021. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Someone else said he automatically becomes a FA at the end of the year if he's traded.

You might want to search under "Cot's Baseball Contracts"

If you were going to trade for Guerrero, you'd have to see if you could work an agreement where he is compensated or you tear up that contract and negotiate a new deal. Otherwise, you don't make the move. I would be totally on board to get Alex if we knew we could have him under our control for a number of years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Someone else said he automatically becomes a FA at the end of the year if he's traded.

You might want to search under "Cot's Baseball Contracts"

Good call. Cot's says if Guerrero is traded, he becomes a FA at seasons end.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...ngeles-dodgers/