top outfield arms, highest mph throws

Whisox05

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Don't think it's that surprising. We know Eaton and Garcia are 2 of the few players who can hit over 100mph. I do think it's funny people will still argue against Eatons arm simply because he's a small "grindy" leadoff man. He would easily handle RF if need be.

Agree 100%. Little guy has a great arm, for any size OFer.

The argument against Eaton as a RF doesn't live and die on this statistic. He has trouble with his arm last year because he was frequently very inaccurate. Something that I believe affects outfielders in a way that doesn't apply nearly as much to infielders is the carry on the throw. Two players with equivalent exit velocity could be vastly different in the functional speed if one has a lot of slicing type of action and the other can throw with a perfect backspin. If nothing else, the pure backspin throw is faster because it travels in a straight line, but I'm also fairly certain that it loses less velocity while in the air as well. My guess is that this is the reason that a reasonable person could have watched the Sox last year and assumed Melky had the strongest throwing arm of the 3 starting OF, probably because his seems to have a nice carry to it. I'm not sure that Eaton and Avi are bad in this way, certainly not like Rios, but both of them struggled hitting a target at times.