Backup 2B?

Black_Jack29

Among the players expected to make the 25-man roster, who is projected to be second on the depth chart at 2B? I don't think that Rollins has played there in over a decade and Saladino has had very limited time there in the minors. I can't imagine that they'd give Sanchez a roster spot simply to spell Lawrie at 2B.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Among the players expected to make the 25-man roster, who is projected to be second on the depth chart at 2B? I don't think that Rollins has played there in over a decade and Saladino has had very limited time there in the minors. I can't imagine that they'd give Sanchez a roster spot simply to spell Lawrie at 2B.

Saladino should be able to handle it fine, I'm not worried about it.

I think it will be Saladino. Ideally, I would prefer our infield, from left to right, being Frazier/Saladino/Lawrie/Abreu with Sanchez as the backup 2B/SS and Saladino acting as backup 3B, while Sanchez can be able to play SS for him on those days. However, Rollins will likely make the team, so I guess Saladino will have to play 2nd. He shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't expect Lawrie to have many days off, so Saladino should be fine. If Lawrie has to go on the DL then I imagine Sanchez gets called up and starts at 2B.

Lawrie is going to have to play 3B whenever Frazier needs a day off, so the backup 2B will have to effectively spell two players. And if LaRoche ever goes on the DL, Frazier is the only one with ample playing time at 1B, so that would mean Lawrie plays 3B on those days as well.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Lawrie is going to have to play 3B whenever Frazier needs a day off, so the backup 2B will have to effectively spell two players. And if LaRoche ever goes on the DL, Frazier is the only one with ample playing time at 1B, so that would mean Lawrie plays 3B on those days as well.

Saladino played a stellar 3B last year, Lawrie isn't the only backup 3B.

When Frazier needs a day off Saladino will play third. I think it's pretty likely that Rollins is the starting SS and Saladino backs up 3B, 2B and SS.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Saladino played a stellar 3B last year, Lawrie isn't the only backup 3B.

:stick

Totally forgot about that.

I'm still not sold on Saladino at 2B, but at least they have Rollins as another option. I hope that both of those guys are getting reps at 2B.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)

I'm still not sold on Saladino at 2B, but at least they have Rollins as another option. I hope that both of those guys are getting reps at 2B.

I'm not the least bit worried about Saladino at 2B. He made the transition to third last year with basically zero experience and handled it fine. He shouldn't have any problems transitioning to 2B where he did actually have 600 innings experience in the minors.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)

Watching Saladino play 3B and a little bit of SS, I am not worried about him at 2B.

Saladino and Rollins can play 2nd as well as ss and 3rd. Lawrie can back up 3rd so I really dont see Sanchez making it. Saw that Shuck it's pretty much on the roster in some reports. So that probably leaves avi unless he gets traded or sent down as the last roster spot.

If LaRoche goes on the DL they would probably bring somebody up who can ply 1B.