Shark - why it didn't work out w/ Cooper

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Can anyone summarize for us that dont have Insider access? This is probably going to be fantastic and informative

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/sto...ck-campaign-mlb

He didn't blame Cooper.

Said he got off to a bad start, starting changing things, which, in the majors, can make things worse when you do it during the season. Had some mechanical issues that he straightened up in offseason.

Said Cutter, rather than culprit, is important pitch for him. but he didn't throw it inside enough.

Of most interest, perhaps, to the Sox, is that the article also pointed out that the Sox were last in majors in number of fastballs thrown on inner half of plate.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
NL success does not always translate to AL success.

That is the type of thought process that is also like "we can't move _______ from LF to RF or from 3B to the OF because it will mentally be too tough for him do adjust both defensively and keep it up at the plate"

I hate that thought process, its a loser's mentality.

Just like when they brought up a possible pitchers HR derby. People ran around saying "no!! injury risk for my pitcher!" and Joe Maddon goes on Arrieta - I don't believe in that. These guys workout all year, take batting practice - they can hit a few balls.

Not to change this into Joe Maddon - but that's exactly the mindset this organization needs.

Shark sucked last year because of mechanics. Whatever. It's not because he had to face 9 batters instead of 8 batters.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
That is the type of thought process that is also like "we can't move _______ from LF to RF or from 3B to the OF because it will mentally be too tough for him do adjust both defensively and keep it up at the plate"

Just like when they brought up a possible pitchers HR derby. People ran around saying "no!! injury risk for my pitcher!" and Joe Maddon goes on Arrieta - I don't believe in that. These guys workout all year, take batting practice - they can hit a few balls.

Not to change this into Joe Maddon - but that's exactly the mindset this organization needs.

Shark sucked last year because of mechanics. Whatever. It's not because he had to face 9 batters instead of 8 batters.

I agree. His streak before the deadline showed it wasn't the league.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)

I tend to agree with you in regard with the move between leagues. Yet, a lot of very good athletes have struggled. I can't believe it is all mental. There are some differences albeit fewer than a couple decades ago when the strike zone seemed very different between the leagues.

Then you also have Cueto, an even more accomplished pitcher than Shark, struggling just as mightily in the same division. And pitching extremely well after he escaped it.

You had four pretty darned good offenses in the division last year. At least on paper.

Edited by caulfield12