Davidson/Palka

Insp

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd be ok with that since I don't think we can win next year...but at some point we're gonna need roster spots. Sanchez, Leury, Castillo, Davidson, Cordell, Palka, Engel, Garcia, Delmonico - we can't actually fit all that on the big league roster, we would have a 4 man bench, starting DH, RF, and CF, and we'd still have to remove one...and on April 15 there's going to be a monster demanding a roster spot, so 2 of the names on that list have to go.

I guess we could just turn that thing loose in the locker room and see if he eats one of them...but I think he's more likely to devour the opposing pitching.

I have a hunch the Sox will wait to call up Jimenez until like mid-late May so it doesn't look like they kept him down for service time matters. 

I do think Palka has played himself into being the priority between himself and Davidson, but what to do with Davidson isn't so clear. At this point, Davidson is a very similar player to Mark Reynolds, who has had himself a long career but has never been a particularly valuable piece. I'm not sure how much defensive ability Davidson has at 3B at this point since he's played so little there and he has clearly put on some weight since he last played there on an everyday basis. Matt took a huge step forward this year, so for the Sox you have to ask whether you think he has it in him to take any more steps forward.

It would make things easier if Palka could play the outfield, but he's just been so bad out there I feel like it may not be fair to our pitchers (or our fans for that matter) to play him on defense.

If Leury is a super sub, filling in in CF as well as middle infield, it could work.  Davidson RHDH and backup first/third.(needs lots of work at third)   Palka LHDH and spell OF in corners.  (needs work, could he learn first as well?)  I would probably carry Rondon over Delmonico for additional versatility depending on options.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Delmonico has an option and I don't see any way he is on the roster next year once Eloy is around.  Maybe he makes the OD roster and goes down when Eloy comes up, but there just isn't room for him.

This I agree with fully.  Nicky did himself zero favors this year, and his days may be numbered.

Leury, Rondon and Yolmer are utility players; Leury can play OF and is probably the best SS of the 3.  Yolmer probably has the most trade value, but the Sox, par usual, have nothing behind him at 3B.  Yolmer also walks some and something tells me he might explode soon.  

Delmonico had a rough year; I can see the Sox dumping, but I don't see a real urgency to dump.

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Leury, Rondon and Yolmer are utility players; Leury can play OF and is probably the best SS of the 3.  Yolmer probably has the most trade value, but the Sox, par usual, have nothing behind him at 3B.  Yolmer also walks some and something tells me he might explode soon.  

Delmonico had a rough year; I can see the Sox dumping, but I don't see a real urgency to dump.

I doubt they just dump him with an option left.