Top White Sox Prospects by Position: Second Basemen

NorthSideSox72

It will be interesting to see where the infielders will be placed as far as low A and rookie ball.  Do all the Great Falls infielders move to Kann? I'd assume Sosa and Nunez will but what about Bush? Kann will be the best place for Curbello but you still have Maiker Feliz and Ramon Beltre. I think we have a bit of a log jam for infield in low A

6 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

It will be interesting to see where the infielders will be placed as far as low A and rookie ball.  Do all the Great Falls infielders move to Kann? I'd assume Sosa and Nunez will but what about Bush? Kann will be the best place for Curbello but you still have Maiker Feliz and Ramon Beltre. I think we have a bit of a log jam for infield in low A

There is a bit of a crowd, but I also think Feliz and Beltre are more likely bench guys and won't be in anyone's way. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the KAN infield will be a 4-man rotation covering the three skill infield slots: Curbelo, Sosa, Nunez and Bush. Beltre as the bench INF on Kanny. Feliz probably repeats Great Falls, if he's still in the organization.

Good gellinger quote on nunez from this article:

https://theathletic.com/571707/2018/10/08/a-tour-of-white-sox-instructs-provides-a-snapshot-of-the-rebuild/?redirected=1

“(Nuñez) was always pretty much a one-side-of-the-plate guy and now he’s learned how to cover the other side of the plate and it really showed this year,” Gellinger continued. “You tend to see that guys who hit the outer two-thirds of the plate tend to have higher batting averages. The guys that maybe cover the inner half of the plate maybe hit for more power, and know how to pull the ball a little bit better. But to be able to do both like Nunez did this year, he really improved on hitting the ball on the outer part of the plate.”

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good gellinger quote on nunez from this article:

https://theathletic.com/571707/2018/10/08/a-tour-of-white-sox-instructs-provides-a-snapshot-of-the-rebuild/?redirected=1

“(Nuñez) was always pretty much a one-side-of-the-plate guy and now he’s learned how to cover the other side of the plate and it really showed this year,” Gellinger continued. “You tend to see that guys who hit the outer two-thirds of the plate tend to have higher batting averages. The guys that maybe cover the inner half of the plate maybe hit for more power, and know how to pull the ball a little bit better. But to be able to do both like Nunez did this year, he really improved on hitting the ball on the outer part of the plate.”

Yeah I remember reading that, it was good to see this wasn't just Nunez being healthy and hitting in the PIO. He probably is best as a 3B going forward, but if he moves in step with Bush, Nunez might have to stay at 2B. I don't think shorstop is in the future for him. Plenty of arm, not enough range.

That Kanny infield next year should be a fun group.

42 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

In his pro debut, Madrigal "....showed very little power". 

The Sox drafted the kid knowing that he was a high-average, great fielding  SINGLES HITTER.   At 5' 7" and 165 lbs., he's not going to hit many HR's (unless he goes the steroid route).

And the award for most premature overreaction goes to...

I got to see the Voyagers a couple times this summer and one of those games Nunez was horrendous in the field playing 2b. Hopefully it was just one game where maybe he was distracted or not feeling well or something because it was bad. I think he only had 1 or 2 errors but there were more mistakes. 2 Pop ups between LF and 2b hit the ground with both players standing there, a couple of missed throws from the catcher on a stealing base runner, a throwing error to 1st... and that's just what I remember. He can definitely hit though. I hope it was just a bad day.

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

What overreaction?  A high OBP, high average, low strikeout hitter is just what the Sox need.  Too many "strikeout or home run" guys on this team as it is.  I'm fine if all he hits are singles and a few doubles.

You labeled him as a singles hitter after a month in the minors after returning from a wrist injury. 

16 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

In his pro debut, Madrigal "....showed very little power". 

The Sox drafted the kid knowing that he was a high-average, great fielding  SINGLES HITTER.   At 5' 7" and 165 lbs., he's not going to hit many HR's (unless he goes the steroid route).

If Madrigal projected to have slightly above or even average power potential then I think he clearly would go 1:1 in the draft given his other tools. The wrist injury set him back, but he should still project for 10-15 homers down the line given how much contact he makes. 

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

But I think bubba was actually saying he liked that.

But it is WAY too early to come to that conclusion.  For crying out loud, we are still trying to figure out who Avi Garcia is after 7 seasons in the majors.  To call Nick Madrigal a singles hitter is insanity.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, bubba phillips said:

What overreaction?  A high OBP, high average, low strikeout hitter is just what the Sox need.  Too many "strikeout or home run" guys on this team as it is.  I'm fine if all he hits are singles and a few doubles.

What the White Sox need is a high OBP, high power, low strikeout hitter.  Doink hitters rarely have high OBP year over year.  The Sox need him to be Altuve.