Midterms 2018

pettie4sox

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dead people is a much better vote because it allows either an appointment or second special election. THis was voting in the affirmative that a holocaust denier and neo-nazi should be in power. Some amount would have voted yes here out of confusion but 23% is way more than I thought and pretty scary.

I saw one pro-Jones sign on Archer in Lemont just north of Cog Hill. Glad to be reminded of my Nazi neighbor daily.

Some states where Dems did poorly, but progressive state amendments did well.  Florida voting laws and Missouri minimum wage laws as examples.

California good for Dems, but some good progressive state measures lost.  Rent control and public banks.

Last night really seemed like a win some, lose some kinda night.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

That was incredibly impressive turnout last night. Madison wisconsin reported to have 94% voter turnout which is crazy. 

A lot of bills to remove the friction from voting passed as well.

Madison voting is shady as hell. UW students can turn up huge.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Madison voting is shady as hell. UW students can turn up huge.

Why is that shady? That's their residence. I was able to vote in Missouri when I went to school there. The state legislature/state reps very much affect you there.

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I saw one pro-Jones sign on Archer in Lemont just north of Cog Hill. Glad to be reminded of my Nazi neighbor daily.

I would constantly remind my other neighbors what that guy is.  There is no place for people like that in society.

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Some states where Dems did poorly, but progressive state amendments did well.  Florida voting laws and Missouri minimum wage laws as examples.

California good for Dems, but some good progressive state measures lost.  Rent control and public banks.

Last night really seemed like a win some, lose some kinda night.

yeah, we also saw Medicaid expansion in three red states last night. that's hundreds of thousands of people with health care coverage now.

8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

yeah, we also saw Medicaid expansion in three red states last night. that's hundreds of thousands of people with health care coverage now.

New gov. in Maine also said the first thing she is going to do is expand medicaid.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

New gov. in Maine also said the first thing she is going to do is expand medicaid.

Which, just as a reminder, is insane to have to say since voters already had voted for the expansion and the governor just said he wouldn't enforce it.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why is that shady? That's their residence. I was able to vote in Missouri when I went to school there. The state legislature/state reps very much affect you there.

There is a difference between where you live and where you reside. In order to reside somewhere you have to have a future intent to live there. I never intended on living in Madison, which is why my DL was IL, my taxes were paid with an IL address, etc. But as "reside" depends on your state of mind, you could legally reside in Wisconsin one day, and legally reside in IL the next day.

Hence why on election day, I resided in Wisconsin and could legally vote there. 

Edited by Soxbadger

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Pending a recount or two, Dems look poised to have *supermajorities* in both chambers in Illinois, plus obviously the Governorship.

So when the state gets worse and taxes increase we can blame Republicans, right?

I think JB is going to be a disaster. Rauner was too, but he at least attempted to push back against Madigan (failing miserably and hurting the state in the process). Regardless, this state is fucked until Madigan dies.

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

So when the state gets worse and taxes increase we can blame Republicans, right?

I think JB is going to be a disaster. Rauner was too, but he at least attempted to push back against Madigan (failing miserably and hurting the state in the process). Regardless, this state is fucked until Madigan dies.

At the end of the day, Rauner was just an awful politician who had no clue how to be governor and hurt the state deeply trying to force his will.

I don't have high hopes JB and the Dems will fix the state. Hopefully the calls for a constitutional convention increase so we can address some of those problems (if you're liberal, a progressive tax, if you're conservative, weaken pension obligation protections).

We still get to blame Republicans forever thanks to the Edgar Ramp, though!

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

There is a difference between residence and where you reside. In order to reside somewhere you have to have a future intent to live there. I never intended on living in Madison, which is why my DL was IL, my taxes were paid with an IL address, etc. But as "reside" depends on your state of mind, you could legally reside in Wisconsin one day, and legally reside in IL the next day.

Hence why on election day, I resided in Wisconsin and could legally vote there. 

I don't understand why voting should be defined by something like state of mind. 

For four to six years, students will be living in madison at least 9 months out of year, often working at a wisconsin business, paying state and local taxes, and having a residence there.

If you purchase a summer home in florida with a future intent to live there when you retire, but you still work and live in illinois 9 months out of year, it wouldn't be in doubt where you would be voting.

It's unnecessary to single out students as an exception, it's not different than taking a short term contract job. And new hampshire literally just disenfranchised students there over this same thing, so it isn't theoretical.

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I dont think itll be that bad. They are inheriting a debt that is crazy, but I think they can hopefully start to make a little dent in it. First IL credit rating is going to improve, which means we can get better interest rates. Second I think that they will likely raise taxes some, because there is just no way to pay the debt off without increasing revenue. Third, I think they will bring in new money with potential legalization of marijuana and possibly betting.

Its not going to be easy, but Rauner really killed himself by not even considering marijuana or betting. Those things should have been on the table immediately when you need new revenue streams. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It's unnecessary to single out students as an exception, it's not different than taking a short term contract job. And new hampshire literally just disenfranchised students there over this same thing, so it isn't theoretical.

The NH thing was blocked by the courts, thankfully.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-hampshire-voting-restriction-sb3-blocked_us_5bce24eae4b0d38b587b2638

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't understand why voting should be defined by something like state of mind. 

For four to six years, students will be living in madison at least 9 months out of year, often working at a wisconsin business, paying state and local taxes, and having a residence there.

If you purchase a summer home in florida with a future intent to live there when you retire, but you still work and live in illinois 9 months out of year, it wouldn't be in doubt where you would be voting.

Voting is defined by state of mind. If I own a house in Florida and a house in IL, I can vote in Florida even if I live there 0 days a year if in my mind I reside there.

The reason I single out students is because you usually dont have tens of thousands of people who have the ability to pick where they "reside" on a single day of the year. 

30 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I'm cool with all those flyover states becoming one state and have 2 senators and the amount of reps accordingly.  That's what really should be done.

Bigotry, nice. 

On the Senate, Democrats will have won more cumulative votes in 2004, 2016 and 2018 yet will not have taken the majority in any of those years (Republicans won big in 2010 and didn't take the chamber). Yes, this was a brutal map for them this year, but there's something structurally wrong with the system. Madison and Hamilton knew this back in 1788.

Every idea of proportion and every rule of fair representation conspire to condemn a principle, which gives to Rhode Island an equal weight in the scale of power with Massachusetts, or Connecticut, or New York; and to Delaware an equal voice in the national deliberations with Pennsylvania, or Virginia, or North Carolina. Its operation contradicts the fundamental maxim of republican government, which requires that the sense of the majority should prevail. Sophistry may reply, that sovereigns are equal, and that a majority of the votes of the States will be a majority of confederated America. But this kind of logical legerdemain will never counteract the plain suggestions of justice and common-sense. It may happen that this majority of States is a small minority of the people of America; and two thirds of the people of America could not long be persuaded, upon the credit of artificial distinctions and syllogistic subtleties, to submit their interests to the management and disposal of one third.

to try, by the standard of theory, a part of the Constitution which is allowed on all hands to be the result, not of theory, but “of a spirit of amity, and that mutual deference and concession which the peculiarity of our political situation rendered indispensable.” A common government, with powers equal to its objects, is called for by the voice, and still more loudly by the political situation, of America. A government founded on principles more consonant to the wishes of the larger States, is not likely to be obtained from the smaller States. The only option, then, for the former, lies between the proposed government and a government still more objectionable. Under this alternative, the advice of prudence must be to embrace the lesser evil; and, instead of indulging a fruitless anticipation of the possible mischiefs which may ensue, to contemplate rather the advantageous consequences which may qualify the sacrifice.

The Senate is a "lesser evil" compromise of 1780's politics, not some high-minded ideal of democracy or republicanism.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Tony locked this topic