Rainy Day Poll: Evaluate the Big 3 Trades

gusguyman

Rainy Day Poll: Evaluate the Big 3 Trades  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which group of players will provide the most value for the WS?

• Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe, Victor Diaz
    • Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning
    • Eloy Jimenez. Dylan Cease, Matt Rose, Bryant Flete
  2. 2. Which trade was the best for the WS?

• Chris Sale for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe, and Diaz
    • Adam Eaton for Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning
    • Jose Quintana for Eloy, Cease, Rose, and Flete

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I purposely left the questions a little bit vague, I wanted people to use their own opinions of value, and what makes a trade better.

Personally, I am going with which group of players will generate the most WAR for the WS for question 1. I understand betting on the upside of Eloy/Cease, but Moncada has been worth the same WAR as Gio/lopez already. He and Gio both took huge steps forward so far this season, but you have to be pretty down on Kopech to think he doesn't provide enough WAR  to make Moncada/Kopech better than Gio/Rey.

However, I did pick Gio/Rey as the best trade for the WS because they are already worth more WAR than Eaton, and that gap is only going to grow.

That's an interesting perspective.

The eaton trade I have the biggest fomo with, however, as the nats had multiple young prospects that blew up in Luzardo, Soto, and Kieboom. Would have really liked to grab obviously soto but even one of them would have fit our timeline better and I'd have more confidence in going forward.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's an interesting perspective.

The eaton trade I have the biggest fomo with, however, as the nats had multiple young prospects that blew up in Luzardo, Soto, and Kieboom. Would have really liked to grab obviously soto but even one of them would have fit our timeline better and I'd have more confidence in going forward.

Were those options though? I know WS fans really wanted them to make Robles available, but I thought rumors at the time had them putting both him and Kieboom off limits. Not sure about Soto though.

Also, the WS historically have been much better at developing pitchers. Additionally, our future rotation is already a concern because of injuries. Rebuild might be looking grim if the went for position players instead, but didn't get a Soto-esque jackpot.

18 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Were those options though? I know WS fans really wanted them to make Robles available, but I thought rumors at the time had them putting both him and Kieboom off limits. Not sure about Soto though.

Also, the WS historically have been much better at developing pitchers. Additionally, our future rotation is already a concern because of injuries. Rebuild might be looking grim if the went for position players instead, but didn't get a Soto-esque jackpot.

I have no idea, but on its face nats had three 19 year olds in their system that all made the big leagues (granted kieboom was terrible) before age 22 (and i'm counting luzardo because he should have). It sucks to have had a major trade and not get one of those.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have no idea, but on its face nats had three 19 year olds in their system that all made the big leagues (granted kieboom was terrible) before age 22 (and i'm counting luzardo because he should have). It sucks to have had a major trade and not get one of those.

on the other hand they traded Eaton at the absolute peak of his value.