Sox Payroll Redux. Why did the Spending Stop ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Cameron Maybin accumulated 1.6 fWAR in only 82 games and he rebuilt his swing .285BA  .364 OBP 127 wRC+ signed with Tigers for $1.5M plus incentives and played all 3 OF positions with the Yankees.

Brad Miller had 1.2 fWAR in only 170 PA with a .565 Slg. and 126wRC+. He signed for $2M plus incentives,

Both vets with good stats signed for very little . Less combined in base salary than the Sox paid John Jay to do basically nothing all year . They realized time was getting short and took what they could get. This narrative about looking for starting jobs and not wanting to come here because of Madrigal is pretty unlikely . It's too late for these guys to be picky about where they end up and were in no position to expect starting jobs or try to wind up with a contender.

Last year combined they had 2.8 fWAR hardly playing at all . Engel's had more chances than he deserved. I like Mendick. He might be a Brad Miller type but that is as uncertain as how Kopech, Cease, Lopez and all the other unproven young players do on the Sox, maybe even more so since his SSS performance surpised a few people. Any time you can add close to 3 fWAR for $3.5M plus incentives you take it when it fills areas of need. It's penny jar money .

I understand your point, and it's valid, but it seems that you are operating under the assumption that the front office just stopped working after the major signings. How you know we didn't reach out to the players you just mentioned?  What if they didn't want to sign with us?  There is no reason to overpay for a depth piece at this stage.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I understand your point, and it's valid, but it seems that you are operating under the assumption that the front office just stopped working after the major signings. How you know we didn't reach out to the players you just mentioned?  What if they didn't want to sign with us?  There is no reason to overpay for a depth piece at this stage.

They went for so little it's hard to imagine they weren't easily available. Of course I can't say who wanted them or if the Sox wanted them . No one can do that. They surely weren't overpaid. If there was a 2.8 WAR player in minimal playing time out there who could play every IF and every OF position you could sign for $3.5-$4M plus incentives wouldn't that be great ? Combined that's what they amounted to except they are 2 players instead of 1.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They went for so little it's hard to imagine they weren't easily available. Of course I can't say who wanted them or if the Sox wanted them . No one can do that. They surely weren't overpaid. If there was a 2.8 WAR player in minimal playing time out there who could play every IF and every OF position you could sign for $3.5-$4M plus incentives wouldn't that be great ? Combined that's what they amounted to except they are 2 players instead of 1.

Agreed. I don't think they were overpaid. I'm saying if they preferred to go to those teams, then we would have had to overpay to get them. Maybe Maybin wants to play every day with the Tigers instead of being a bench piece with the Sox.  For the same money, he is going to choose the Tigers, and there is no reason to overpay a guy like him to convince him to come here.

This is obviously all speculation, and I have no idea if we kicked the tires or if Maybin was interested in coming here, but I don't think it's a big deal at all one way or another.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Again, if this is true, it makes you wonder what the roster would have looked like if they were successful getting Machado or Wheeler.

I don't believe they are maxed out for a second. They are gonna be more selective about spending though. I think they want to buy pieces that will help put them over the top.