Potential Free Agent Pitchers

kj1832

I though they reached an agreement, oh well, this makes me look like a total ass :P

OK i know why i though he was with the Cards:

Chuck Finley - P, St. Louis Cardinals    Dec. 14, 1:43 p.m.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch initially reported that Finley and the Cardinals had agreed on a one-year deal, but now the paper is saying that the two sides were unable to finish a contract. General manager Walt Jocketty said the chances of Finley returning are now 50-50.

I knew i read something that said he signed with the Cards. I guess it was all bulls***.

There are still some fairly decent free agent starters available, that I feel could help us.

In no priority order

1. Rick Helling

2. Chuck Finley

3. Ismael Valdes

4. Kenny Rogers

5. Robert Person

ADD PAUL WILSON!!!!!

Jesus Christ...I don't know how to get that point across. Wilson is a good pitcher who could put up a good record with a good team behind him. I'd take him over all of the above. Helling will put up a 5.00 ERA, Finley's like 40 and probably won't come here because of the Whitesnake thing, Valdes is decent(but I'd rather have Wilson over him), Rogers will probably make $5-$6 million and Robert Person could be the next Todd Ritchie.

If you want an inning-eater, get Suppan. If you want a good pitcher who will cost a bit more(probably $3 mill....and he's better than the Cubs $3 million man, Shawn Estes), than get Wilson. He is a pretty good pitcher when healthy....I believe he was drafted in the first round by the Mets several years back....you don't just waste your first round pick on nothing(unless you're the Sox and you draft Mark Johnson or Matt Ginter, though Ginter may become a decent pitcher over time, or you're the Twins and you draft Todd Ritchie).

Paul Wilson, IMO, is the best option out there right now that will cost $3 mill or less. He's the kind of guy that we'll get if we don't get Colon.

There are still some fairly decent free agent starters available, that I feel could help us.

In no priority order

1. Rick Helling

2. Chuck Finley

3. Ismael Valdes

4. Kenny Rogers

5. Robert Person

ADD PAUL WILSON!!!!!

Jesus Christ...I don't know how to get that point across. Wilson is a good pitcher who could put up a good record with a good team behind him. I'd take him over all of the above. Helling will put up a 5.00 ERA, Finley's like 40 and probably won't come here because of the Whitesnake thing, Valdes is decent(but I'd rather have Wilson over him), Rogers will probably make $5-$6 million and Robert Person could be the next Todd Ritchie.

If you want an inning-eater, get Suppan. If you want a good pitcher who will cost a bit more(probably $3 mill....and he's better than the Cubs $3 million man, Shawn Estes), than get Wilson. He is a pretty good pitcher when healthy....I believe he was drafted in the first round by the Mets several years back....you don't just waste your first round pick on nothing(unless you're the Sox and you draft Mark Johnson or Matt Ginter, though Ginter may become a decent pitcher over time, or you're the Twins and you draft Todd Ritchie).

Paul Wilson, IMO, is the best option out there right now that will cost $3 mill or less. He's the kind of guy that we'll get if we don't get Colon.

Wilson really turned it on late in the year........

I don't think he's the "answer" but if we can't get that guy....... he's better than alot thats out there.

Paul Wilson is a pretty good pitcher who has a lot of ability and would be a good pickup. I just heard something about him on the radio today, I don't know if he signed anywhere, but I remember hearing his name.

Anyway, I wouldn't complain, right now I just want to see the Sox pick up another pitcher.

Flash Gordon is better than any of thse guys previously mentioned.  Those other bums are overpriced and over the hill--except for Wilson, but the FLashman will be a terrific pitcher this year.  Don't know what he would cost, however.

i was reminded over the weekend about the comp pick taking that into consideration, i would think twice about any of the remaining fa pitchers avail.

btw does anyone have the order of the draft picks?

I thought the new labor deal removed compensation draft picks for signing free agents...

It was supposed to, but those plans were axed as they had so much trouble getting the new labor deal, they decided not to bother with that aspect for another year or so.

They are supposed to be discussing that this offseason, but I haven't heard of them doing so.

Brad Penny has been marked by all teams. Every gm out their has the fear that he's already done serious damage to his arm and will most likely miss plenty of games if not seasons.

He was overworked and consequently they fear his arm has been ruined.

I look only to the Expos or free agency right now. Of course if Penny can be had for next to nothing, I'd definately do it.

There is another guy who may be an option from our northside foes and that guy is Juan Cruz he is not going to be in the rotation for them this season unless someone get injured or something. I have to say i really like this guy i think he will be a hell of a pitcher and just need a little grooming but we could get this guy for a mid level prospect or a bullpen guy and they also have a need for a 3B and MI and at this point in time it seems that most if not all the decent 3B and MI are gone so we could catch them at a desperate time and get ourselves one hell of a young pitcher.

I think that on this team Cruz could win 15 games NP

The Godfather

There is another guy who may be an option from our northside foes and that guy is Juan Cruz he is not going to be in the rotation for them this season unless someone get injured or something. I have to say i really like this guy i think he will be a hell of a pitcher and just need a little grooming but we could get this guy for a mid level prospect or a bullpen guy and they also have a need for a 3B and MI and at this point in time it seems that most if not all the decent 3B and MI are gone so we could catch them at a desperate time and get ourselves one hell of a young pitcher.

The Godfather

you know how many teams may try to do that with the sCrubs, with the intention of trying to get cruz. too many.

I agree but why shouldnt we be one of the many you sure cant knock the kids talent and im sick of being the one time to be asleep when a player like this hits the market why not get an early start

The Godfather

they would be asking the world from us on him, esp with the idea that it would be a crosstown trade.

The Godfather

Where's Matt Karchner when you need him? :P

Where's Matt Karchner when you need him?  :P

who did we get in that trade??? and y does it seem like we have a bunch of decent to goodo guys and then we trade them and they fall apart. we must know the talent of our players pretty well.

We got Jon Garland !! in that deal. I believe it was straight up, Karchner for Garland.

It was one of the best trades in WS history as it stands.

We got rid of Karchner and that was a major plus for the Sox.

Ranks with Sosa for Bell and Navarro and Snyder for Eldred and Valentin as among the happiest trades of my life.

Anything Garland does makes the Karchner trade only sweeter, it was a great trade just to have Karchner gone.

And I do expect great things from Garland this season.