Is Sandy really that bad?

Bighurt52235

For whatever reason, Sandy always seems to start fast--he hits well in April. I'll take all the hits I can get in the first month. That will give Olivo time to get his bearings, get adjusted to life in the bigs, find a girlfriend in Chicago, etc. By mid May we'll have a pretty good idea if he is ready.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
For whatever reason, Sandy always seems to start fast--he hits well in April.  I'll take all the hits I can get in the first month.  That will give Olivo time to get his bearings, get adjusted to life in the bigs, find a girlfriend in Chicago, etc.  By mid May we'll have a pretty good idea if he is ready.

ill take sandy over johnson or paul any day........and moreso than cj anytime too........sandy brings experience and he is very well liked by the pitching staff...........if you heard mark buehrle on espn saturday you would have herd how glad he is that sandy is back......and that he (mark) was a part of him being back........as for olivo i think it wise to go a bit slow with him.. maybe let him go every other day or something to begin with...thats ok.... he will have his bearings, get adjusted to life in the biggs and to chicago... but jimmy hes already married and his wife im sure wouldnt like the girlfriend thing....lol.. shes a nice lady but very fiesty....shed probably kick his butt......... :D

Alomar is like having another coach on the team. He knows the league and is good with the pitchers.

I completely agree. Almomar will not be the most productive unit of offense, and true he may not be healthy enough to put a decent contibution on the field, but he does have value off the field. He knows his position and when he was in prime, played it fairly well too. I would take him on the bench helping to guide new catchers any day, compared to the likes of Paul.

Alomar is like having another coach on the team. He knows the league and is good with the pitchers.

I completely agree. Almomar will not be the most productive unit of offense, and true he may not be healthy enough to put a decent contibution on the field, but he does have value off the field. He knows his position and when he was in prime, played it fairly well too. I would take him on the bench helping to guide new catchers any day, compared to the likes of Paul.

welcome and i agree with you as i think most will.

No, it's not.  CJ is in fact a better catcher, and His other numbers were better than Alomar's.  Remember the season he had in 2000?  What's to stop him from duplicating that this year in Colorado? As much as I like Sandy, he is not as good right now as CJ.

How about the fact that Alomar is liked by our staff and his agent is NOT Scott Boras? Or that he brings a lot of knowledge to the game, or that if he could play 100 games(which he won't), he'd hit .260-.270....and he's about $7 million cheaper.

Is that good enough for you? Talent wise, he's not as good as CJ....then again, we have enough talent on this team....but no brains(*cough* Carlos Lee *cough*)

That's a little better. Aside from the money issues, I think CJ is much better. With CJ, you don't have to pray that he'll be healthy for 100 games, it's damn near a given.

By the way, I don't ever remember the Sox having a true everyday catcher. It seems like they platoon that position more than any other team. When's the last tim they've had a regular catcher?

Olivo will most likely be the regular catcher this year(catching between 85-110 games or so)...Sandy is really here to be a backup, regardless of what Manuel says.

No team really has a regular catcher....their catcher may go 5 or 6 games a week....but that's it. Added up, that's about 120 or 130 games a year...and that's at the very most. I guess that is regular playing time for a catcher though.

Anyways, I'd say the Sox last regular catcher that actually stuck around and did some damage was Ron Karkovice...and then before him was Carlton Fisk.

Sandy is no good in my opinion.

He can only hit singles and like you all said the poor guy is crippled basically.

Hopefully he's here to support Olivo.

That said, can Olivo hit? Or is he no good?

He's a solid hitter. He has a ton of speed and hit like .304 or so in AA last year with some pop. I don't think he'll win any batting titles, but his best trait is his arm. He has an absolute rocket and could win numerous gold glove awards.

Plus, catchers don't need to be great hitters. An ocassional clutch hit, shutting down the opponents running game, and calling a good game are whats really important.

Guest hotsoxchick1

He can only hit singles and like you all said the poor guy is crippled basically.

oh oh, don't let hsc see this. :D

too late ldf i already saw it........olivo is da bomb.... he can hit....had the most trips for double a last year.. he can run.. had the most stolen bases (not exactly a catcher type of stat) in double a....and he can throw as you saw last season with his little stint up here.......i dont get why all of you are all so down or worried about olivo.... hes the real deal.. ive seen him in action and hes awesome..........believe me when i say we will be fine with him and sandy behind the plate.............and as for that cj s***.. tell me what hes done that was so outstanding since his departure here? absoultely not a damn thing.........that should be reason enough to not want him here.. that and the fact that his agent is boras and he will never be here again should just about end all the cj talk............ :headbang

Olivo could really be a vital kog in our season.

If he's as good as you say and I do believe you chisoxfan n others, we will be in great shape.

We need a stud catcher. His minor league stats sound great.

I say let him catch and have Alomar support him daily and catch maybe one of every four games.

Let Alomar catch Colon or something.

oh oh, don't let hsc see this. :D

too late ldf i already saw it........olivo is da bomb.... he can hit....had the most trips for double a last year.. he can run.. had the most stolen bases (not exactly a catcher type of stat) in double a....and he can throw as you saw last season with his little stint up here.......i dont get why all of you are all so down or worried about olivo.... hes the real deal.. ive seen him in action and hes awesome..........believe me when i say we will be fine with him and sandy behind the plate.............and as for that cj s***.. tell me what hes done that was so outstanding since his departure here? absoultely not a damn thing.........that should be reason enough to not want him here.. that and the fact that his agent is boras and he will never be here again should just about end all the cj talk............ :headbang

You been saying that about Olivo so often, that you about have me convinced.