Something interesting about Jose...

mac9001

After hitting just .235 with 14 homers and 50 RBIs through the first half of the season, Valentin finished the season strong, hitting .282 with 11 homers and 25 RBIs during the final two months. Perhaps even more significant, the White Sox were 31-16 (.660) when he started at shortstop last season.

Lets hope those numbers carry over. If you look over the last 3 season, the Sox's have been a very good team with Jose at short and he's put up much better numbers at short...

Hopefully this trend continues...

31-16? Wow, think of what it prorates to over the full season...:)

I mean, people b**** and moan about Jose's error and say skeptical things like "well you can't prove that Jose's range and arm make up for his butchery and that 'chemistry' contributions don't translate into wins", which makes sense on some level...but, then, if Jose is so bad, then how come the team CONSISTENTY raises it's level of play when he starts and gets regular at-bats versus when he is injured and/or sits? He must be doing something right.

Jose is corgie's boy....and he has brought up this stat on the MLB board as well. In fact, after putting Jose in after Choice was benched for the rest of the year and then released, we went on like a 4 or 5 game win streak....trying to make us respectable. Then the strike date announcement came up....and the Sox played like s*** after that. Jose and the Sox were apparently looking to make 1 last attempt at the division...and felt it was ruined by the possible strike. This team plays with the emotion Jose takes to the SS position. If he is happy....watch out

I know we win with him there. i just dont like his errors. i wish he could just get those under control id take anything under 25 from him. but 36 is to many. exspecially with our young infield

Your first sentence says it all. We win when he's there.... Ain't that what it's all about?

I know we win with him there. i just dont like his errors. i wish he could just get those under control id take anything under 25 from him. but 36 is to many. exspecially with our young infield

Well, those 36 erros, thankfully, didn't cost us much in 2000, with Ray at 2B. I think that he just needs to work with Jiminez during TC to get a feel for the tendencies he has, so they will both be on the same page!!! If they are on the same page, the plays will come to them.

I dont care how many careless errors jose makes...

I do - I pray he keeps it down to the 20-25 level - because we were lucky in 2000 thatthe errors didn't cost us but that will not hold -

he always makes the tough plays, it is the rountine plays that he boots or throws away, more likely to throw away, and I suspect in 2003 we won't be able to give away that many outs.