Sox 2003

Soxfest

I think alot of these guys have something to prove this year. We have many outstanding individuals on this club but they have yet to show a really good effort as a team since 2000. The September hot-streak was a sign of things to come I believe. Young pitchers like MB and JG need to show they can followup on great years consistently. We have a star in Maggs that does not get half the national recognition he should and I think deep down inside he prolly has something to say about that too. We have Frank Thomas who has the veteran leadership we need to show these guys the ropes of a tough division race and the playoffs. Frank has been on losing playoff teams, now I think he wants to win. 3 games in 2000 was but a taste of what we should experience this year. Here's to a great season 2003 Chicago White Sox.

LOL you all have high hopes for a team that probably wont even make the playoffs.

You are basing that comment on what?

Our offense that will probably lead the world in runs?

Our rotation that has one of the best 1-2 punches in the game?

Or our bullpen that very well could be lights out?

Which exactly is it?

I AM basing it on our above average talent, and below average manager. I think we will win between 80-87 games. That wont get us in the playoffs.

OK I dunno if this has been mentioned yet or not, I only read the first post then decided to reply.

In my eyes, anything short of winning the World Series is not a successful season. Maybe it's just me, and how I was brought up, but #2 is just the #1 loser.  ;)

Well, second place is the first loser, you're right...

But, after finishing 13 1/2 games out last season in the worst division in baseball, it would be a bit of a stretch to say that anything short of a WS title is not a success. I think that the Sox MUST make it to the playoffs and at least put up a battle (unlike in 2000) in order to say this season was a success.

With Buehrle and Colon at the top of our rotation, I like our chances in the playoffs if we get there.

But, first things first.

I AM basing it on our above average talent, and below average manager. I think we will win between 80-87 games.  That wont get us in the playoffs.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion - no matter how misguided it might be.

Yeah me and the rest of the nation are misguided, lol. Sorry guys, but noone except sox fans are picking the sox to make the playoffs. My predicition of 80-87 wins is rational.

Yeah me and the rest of the nation are misguided, lol.  Sorry guys, but noone except sox fans are picking the sox to make the playoffs.  My predicition of 80-87 wins is rational.

As I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

The "experts" were wrong in 2000, and they'll be wrong in 2003 too.

Guest wsc425

I am optimistic about this season but I also have worries about injuries.

Buehrle and Colon have to win at least 35 games combined for a AL Central Division Title.

Garland must not get hurt, and must win at least 9 games.

Wright must prove that he can pitch.

Loazia must continue to pitch like he does as of now in ST.

Koch must get at least 30 saves.

Marte must maintain his form.

Wunsch must be reliable.

Gordon must not crash.

White must be good.

??? must contribute

Pitching and Defense wins ballgames...

My point is, I am optimistic, but the injuries, or kharma in the 'clubhouse' could screw anything up.

Buehrle and Colon have to win at least 35 games combined for a AL Central Division Title.

Wunsch must be reliable.

Gordon must not crash.

White must be good.

??? must contribute

My point is, I am optimistic, but the injuries, or kharma in the 'clubhouse' could screw anything up.

Garland better win a lot more than 9 if this Sox team hopes to be playing in October. I'd say we need 15+ from Garland and 12-15 from Wright, and around 10 from our #5 slot.

The 4 key players to our success this year are Frank Thomas, Tom Gordon, Jon Garland, and Danny Wright. If any one of those 4 flop, we could be in for a long season.

Wunsch must be reliable.

Gordon must not crash.

White must be good.

??? must contribute

Chemistry(or kharma....whatever you want to call it) will not be a problem....so don't worry about it.

Also....pitching and defense mean a lot in the postseason....but you can get by with a decent pitching staff as a whole and a crappy defense as long as your offense makes up the difference.....if you look back to 2000, you'll see that that is how we got to the postseason....a less than mediocre rotation, and an incredibly good bullpen. We nearly won 2 of the 3 games we lost in the postseason that year anyways(and Seattle had to cheat to win) and were out before you knew it. That will NOT happen this time. We will not be humiliated like that in the postseason this year(assuming we make it....and I truly believe we will....no question. I want a good race...but I see us winning the division by about 10 games)

pitching and defense mean a lot in the postseason....but you can get by with a decent pitching staff as a whole and a crappy defense as long as your offense makes up the difference.....if you look back to 2000, you'll see that that is how we got to the postseason

I think our pitching and defense needs to perform for us to do well this year. look at last year, we scored a lot of runs but when our offense went into slumps, we were dead...And those dead streaks killed the Sox last year. In 2000 The White Sox staff pitched really well in the first half, Baldwin was even an allstar, but in the second half it faltered and the Sox stumbled a bit, even with that offense. So I think the sox will need a big year out of the pitching staff to win anything

Yeah me and the rest of the nation are misguided, lol.  Sorry guys, but noone except sox fans are picking the sox to make the playoffs.  My predicition of 80-87 wins is rational.

Did you and the rest of the nation pick Anaheim last year?

A year ago MINN franchise was doom and gloom, now the so called EXPERTS love them, but last year they were given 0.000002 chance to will AL Central. Minn will be lucky to be .500

Ummmm if you say so? The twins were given a good shot to win the division last season, and they have not been good for only a year.

Yeah me and the rest of the nation are misguided, lol.  Sorry guys, but noone except sox fans are picking the sox to make the playoffs.  My predicition of 80-87 wins is rational.

No, and I also do not make rational predictions based on hoping for a miracle or a fluke. The Angels were a fluke. They will not return to the playoffs. Noone said it was impossible. I said id pick the Twins, and the sox are slightly above average. Read the posts before you make yourself look like a dumbass again

No you did not say it was impossible, nor did anyone(including myself), what you did was correlate being rational, with the predictions of the "experts". I asked you if you and your experts picked Anaheim last year, to which you answered no, thus implying that you all thought very irrationally last year. Apparently you also equate asking questions with being a dumbass, I find that very irrational. To follow our rational disscussion, Anaheim winning the world series was a fluke, what's the rationale? I don't know who will win and nor do you and by your own addmission, it sometimes doesn't follow the expected course, but to imply that other people who disagree with you are without reason, is quite irrational. Nice to see you here, your penchant for speaking down to others has not lost any of it's charm I assure you.

A year ago MINN franchise was doom and gloom, now the so called EXPERTS love them, but last year they were given 0.000002 chance to will AL Central. Minn will be lucky to be .500

Ummmm if you say so? The twins were given a good shot to win the division last season, and they have not been good for only a year.

The Sox were chosen over the Twin's last season. The people who predicted that were wrong. Frank didn't do what was expected of him which really shout our chances. The Twin's are sure to put up a fight this year, as well as years to come. It wasn't even a race last year for us, this year, though, I think the Twin's are going to be the ones playing catch-up :headbang ! By the way, I am now in AAA ball, so hell yeah!

The Sox were chosen over the Twin's last season. The people who predicted that were wrong. Frank didn't do what was expected of him which really shout our chances. The Twin's are sure to put up a fight this year, as well as years to come. It wasn't even a race last year for us, this year, though, I think the Twin's are going to be the ones playing catch-up :headbang ! By the way, I am now in AAA ball, so hell yeah!

We didn't win last year because we had ONE good starting pitcher....Garland and Wright were decent, and Ritchie, Rauch in April, Glover....etc....sucked. Biddle and Rauch, for the limited time we used them at the end of the year, were OK as well. Had we had Colon last year and a better Garland and Wright(as they improved tremendously in the second half), we would have won the division. If Thomas has a good year this year....the Twins are already dead.

Yeah me and the rest of the nation are misguided, lol.  Sorry guys, but noone except sox fans are picking the sox to make the playoffs.  My predicition of 80-87 wins is rational.

No, and I also do not make rational predictions based on hoping for a miracle or a fluke. The Angels were a fluke. They will not return to the playoffs. Noone said it was impossible. I said id pick the Twins, and the sox are slightly above average. Read the posts before you make yourself look like a dumbass again

the angels were lucky... but certainly not a fluke. They had a GREAT young team with a lotta fire in guys like erstad and eckstien.... some nice young pitching (wasburn, percival etc...) The year before they went out and brought in 2 key vetern pitchers (sele and appier) That helped the young guys out.... lucky for them no really great injuries hurt them for too long and everything else worked as planned they got good years out of all the key guys and they caught on fire thru the stretch run... not to mention they had quite a bit of fan support due to the GREAT battle i the AL west...