Baseball's Best Young Pitchers

Cali

"Mark Buehrle, White Sox

Last season, this 24-year-old won nearly 20 games (19-12). Expect him to win at least that may games in 2003. Buehrle made 23 quality starts last season (which means he went into the seventh inning in 23 of his 34 starts). That's awesome, especially by today's standards.

Drafted in the 38th round three years ago, Buehrle is now 39-21 in The Show. Scouts should have lost their jobs for not recognizing his amazing talent. Pencil him in for at least 20 wins while helping the White Sox get back to the playoffs."

I could read that all day but WTF was up with the sound effects from what appears to be some ESPN pop up?

Prior, 18-22 wins! yeah right!

prior will need to be cy young to win 18-22 with the scrubs...he isgonna lose alot of games 3-2 , 2-1 ect..they just dont have the offensive firepower

Dusty Baker..... manager of managers..... will make a huge difference Baggs. The sCrUBS are WS contenders in alot of sportswriters minds.

:puke Cubs

prior will need to be cy young to win 18-22 with the scrubs...he isgonna lose alot of games 3-2 , 2-1 ect..they just dont have the offensive firepower

Yep, cause last year Kerry Wood pitched very very well and only pulled out like 12 wins. On a normal team, he probably would of won 20. The Cubs were absolutely horrible for him.

Yep, cause last year Kerry Wood pitched very very well and only pulled out like 12 wins. On a normal team, he probably would of won 20. The Cubs were absolutely horrible for him.

Paul Konerko didn't help out K Wood one of those games last year either..... when Kid Walk had an 8-run lead! PAULIE :headbang

The one thing the sox could use is an absolute stud young pitcher. It seems like we like to draft a lot of "stuff" guys. I like the Giants future with Kurt Ainsworth, Jesse Foppert, and Jerome Williams. Ainsworth and Williams strike a ton of guys out, but Foppert is unbelieavable. He is a 300 strikeout type guy.

I also like Brett Myers on the Phillies...he should have a bright future ahead of him.

As for the Sox young pitchers...I don't think Garland will ever be a big time ace, but he should be a pretty solid pitcher. Wright, obviously is a health worry, but even completely healthy he is not a big time ace contender either. One thing I would like to see the Sox do more of is draft college pitchers in the first round. The A's drafted Hudson, Zito, and Mulder out of college. Prior is also out of college. The biggest benefit of college guys is that you can rush them to the majors a little quicker, and supposedly you can stack up innings with them early in their careers without having to worry about their health. Though Wright is a counter example of that

The Sox have drafted a ton of college pitches over the years with mixed success. Going back Rauch, Fernandez, McDowell, Parque, Wright, off the top of my head, were all college pitchers.

The Sox biggest problem in general is we really haven't had high enough draft picks to get the Mark Prior type picks. And even if we have, we have avoided most of them due to salary/agent worries.

The Sox have drafted a ton of college pitches over the years with mixed success.  Going back Rauch, Fernandez, McDowell, Parque, Wright, off the top of my head, were all college pitchers.

The Sox biggest problem in general is we really haven't had high enough draft picks to get the Mark Prior type picks.  And even if we have, we have avoided most of them due to salary/agent worries.

your 2nd paragraph really hits the nail on the head...we will pay those big signing bonuses for outfielders ( 5.3 mil for borchard) , but not for pitchers

The Sox have drafted a ton of college pitches over the years with mixed success. Going back Rauch, Fernandez, McDowell, Parque, Wright, off the top of my head, were all college pitchers.

Two of those guys you mentioned, Fernandez and McDowell were drafted by Larry Himes. I wish Himes was our GM now. He sure did put together a hell of a team. And to trade for Sosa and Alvarez too, damn. The Sox should put any bitterness behind and hire him back as a draft coordinator at least

Two of those guys you mentioned, Fernandez and McDowell were drafted by Larry Himes. I wish Himes was our GM now. He sure did put together a hell of a team. And to trade for Sosa and Alvarez too, damn. The Sox should put any bitterness behind and hire him back as a draft coordinator at least

More of that I atribute to the scouting vs. the GM's. Our scouts seem to have pretty good success when compared to a lot of teams. The great majority of our front line players came from within the organization, or were traded for before they emerged