Give it up for Reggie Miller

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 20, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
I agreed that Miller was a great clutch shooter but am I making this stuff up?  That leg kick to draw a foul is one of the things he was notorious for.  Did you watch the game?  He even shot a 3-pointer at the end of the game that was completely stuffed (all ball, mind you) and complained to the refs for a foul.  Miller is one of the greatest pure shooters of all time but he has never played defense and he whined to the refs 24-7.  It's not like I'm making this stuff up.

Yeah, I'll have to agree. Great shooter, especially in the clutch, but he annoyed me overall. That push-off on Jordan and then dancing around and jumping in circles after the 3 solidified my reggie miller hatred...well, maybe not hatred, but I do dislike him...

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 20, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
I would never call the guy classy, he did what he had to to get by, but there's nothing classy about him.  This is the same guy who argued with Spike Lee in the middle of games.

And Cosmo Kramer. :lol:

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 20, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
I would never call the guy classy, he did what he had to to get by, but there's nothing classy about him.  This is the same guy who argued with Spike Lee in the middle of games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ggie/index.html

From Reggie, we'll miss ...

1. His physique ... or lack of it.

Look back at those games from ancient days -- the 1980s -- and it looks like a different species of human being is playing the game. Even Magic Johnson was skinny. These days it looks linebackers have taken the court; LeBron resembles a heavyweight fighter. But Reggie gave hope for skinny people everywhere, the Stick Figure working his way through Muscle Land.

2. His loyalty and attachment to one city

Reggie seemed anything but Hoosier-like when the Pacers made him the 11th pick of the '87 draft. A cocky California kid in Indianapolis? No way that would work. But some of Reggie rubbed off on Indy, and some of Indy rubbed off on Reggie, and the result was a love affair that, in this age of free agency and trade demands, is truly unique.

3. His game within a game

Reggie is not the only player who has mastered the art of running off screens, catching and shooting -- Detroit's Rip Hamilton is good at it -- but he is the best. Plus, no one did it with Reggie's flair: the long, looping sprint that sometimes took him out of bounds, the duck-behinds and all the other little techniques that made it look like a game of freeze tag on the playground. And, of course, the dramatic splay-legged release and, quite often, the little thespian drama that enabled Miller to also get to the free throw line. The man made more than his share of four-point plays.

4. His graceful acceptance of a diminished role

Reggie was a bit of a chest-pounding player, but, when he started to age and lose his legs, he seamlessly ceded the role of primary scorer and team cynosure to others. Even loose cannons such as Ron Artest.

5. His giving back to the game

Fewer and fewer players understand their responsibility to be gracious to fans and media. Reggie never forgot his.

Well if Jack McCallum says it, it must be true. :rolly

f*** this rose-colored-glasses-s*** all of a sudden. He's trying to romanticize Miller's chest-pounding and leg-kicking? f*** that. That's weak, kissing up to an old fart on his way out.

Hindsight is 20/20. Reggie was and will always be a prissy little jump shooter who never won anything. The end.

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 20, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)

f*** this rose-colored-glasses-s*** all of a sudden.  He's trying to romanticize Miller's chest-pounding and leg-kicking? f*** that.  That's weak, kissing up to an old fart on his way out. 

Hindsight is 20/20.  Reggie was and will always be a prissy little jump shooter who never won anything.  The end.

Well, that spleen unloading aside...Reggie was a fantastic jump shooter, definitely the best until Ray Allen came into the league. He was a victim of circumstance when it came to rings, he came close, but there was always a team better than his. Thanks for the many years of rivalry, for the choke signs, for the bows, for the arguments with Spike, for the Knicks-beating, and for that beautiful shot that floats from 27 feet out into the middle of the rim, touching nothing but the bottom of the net.

Reggie, see you in the Hall in 5 years!

:cheers

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 20, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)

f*** this rose-colored-glasses-s*** all of a sudden.  He's trying to romanticize Miller's chest-pounding and leg-kicking? f*** that.  That's weak, kissing up to an old fart on his way out. 

Hindsight is 20/20.  Reggie was and will always be a prissy little jump shooter who never won anything.  The end.

And what Spiff says always goes....

If he's nothing more than a prissy little jump shooter, why is there such a love affair going on for his retirement? I mean, they all can't be wrong.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 20, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
And what Spiff says always goes....

If he's nothing more than a prissy little jump shooter, why is there such a love affair going on for his retirement?  I mean, they all can't be wrong.

Why does the media love Sammy Sosa? Why does the media love Terrell Owens? Because the media loves characters.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 20, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
Do you have anything nice to say about him? You know the saying, if you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything.

Uhm... How about...

If Reggie went to a Star Trek convention he could go as a Ferengi and he wouldn't need to buy a costume?

2003-04-17-miller.jpg ferengi.jpg

I Kid Because I Care :)

:drink :drink Reggie

I think he would be awesome during a radio show. I always enjoy him on the Dan Patrick Show.

BTW, that 1987 Draft turned out to be amazing for the league and especially the Bulls

1987 NBA Draft

--------------

1st Round

---------

1. David Robinson      Navy                    San Antonio

2. Armon Gilliam    UNLV                    Phoenix

3. Dennis Hopson    Ohio State              New Jersey

4. Reggie Williams  Georgetown              LA Clippers

5. Scottie Pippen      Central Arkanasas    Seattle

6. Kenny Smith      North Carolina          Sacramento

7. Kevin Johnson    California              Cleveland

8. Olden Polynice      Virginia                Chicago