ATO: Jenks to Chicago, McCarthy Back to Charlotte

danman31

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Exactly.  Every time we bring some AAA pitcher up, he sucks out loud and he soon has no more trade value.

I have a question.  What will everyone here do if Baj comes up and falls flat on his face?

The samething we do everyday Pinky... make up ridiculous trade threads.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Answer: When will the Sox bring Up GIO?, Why are they not giving GIO a chance! thats what they will say.

Not many people call to bring up a single A pitcher who just came off an injury, but maybe in your world they do.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Not many people call to bring up a single A pitcher who just came off an injury, but maybe in your world they do.

My point Rock is that they would just move on to another player. Pick one. They are all injured aren't they.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
My point Rock is that they would just move on to another player. Pick one. They are all injured aren't they.

Anyone posting numbers like Baj in the minors, let alone AAA, should be at least looked at. Maybe he doesnt have the stuff, and is not a "talked" about arm, but the numbers speak for themselves. s***, Contreras was talked about 2 years ago as the best arm available etc etc, and he didnt pan out at the time. And over the past SEVERAL year nobody has "talked" about Burhele, and we knew he was a stud, and finally they know because of his performance. I put no stock in ESPN's evaluation of talent, and who is "talked" about as far as prospects go. Otherwise Borchard would be an All Star by now. I go on performance at all levels, and Baj has shown he can perform with ease at AAA. The next step is the big show, and I believe he could be a solid reliever. As far as Jenks goes, I liked him when he was draft by the Angels, I liked him when we picked him up, I liked him even more when he was converted to closer, and I think we will all like him when we see his stuff in the next few days. I hope he is up for good, because I think he has the chance to be a real good one.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Here is one thing Bajenaru and Jenks have in common:

They both walk guys at a rate of one every other inning.

Do you guys think maybe, just maybe, KW wants guys who provide a totally different look (stuff wise) on the pitching staff?

All the starters have totally different styles. 

Bajenaru has the power slider, much like Vizcaino and Hermanson.  Jenks is a 100% totally different look, he has the monster fastball and the huge big breaker curve.  No one on the Sox staff has that, particularly in the pen.  That makes it tougher for opposition hitters to adjust.  This is exactly why I believe Jenks got the call vs. Bajenaru, but call me crazy ... after you think about it for a few minutes.

Excellent observation. And great perception too.

You can't have all slap hitters and no power hitters, or just all power hitters and no speedsters/no grinders. It's the same in the rotation....too much of something is a bad thing.

If Baj's best pitch is the slider, and that is the same as Vizcaino and Hermy, then I would look to replace Vizcaino if he continues to struggle. Baj should and could be up here soon....maybe there's something about the guy himself that could be the reason why the Sox haven't promoted him yet. I don't know. It is peculiar though, as good as he has been for the last two years, why he's not up here.

On a completely unrelated note. is it just me, or does Kevin Walker have the proverbial "deer eyes in headlights" look every time he's on the mound?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Here is one thing Bajenaru and Jenks have in common:

They both walk guys at a rate of one every other inning.

Do you guys think maybe, just maybe, KW wants guys who provide a totally different look (stuff wise) on the pitching staff?

All the starters have totally different styles. 

Bajenaru has the power slider, much like Vizcaino and Hermanson.  Jenks is a 100% totally different look, he has the monster fastball and the huge big breaker curve.  No one on the Sox staff has that, particularly in the pen.  That makes it tougher for opposition hitters to adjust.  This is exactly why I believe Jenks got the call vs. Bajenaru, but call me crazy ... after you think about it for a few minutes.

Crazy like a fox. I don't know what the reasoning was to bring up Jenks over Baj, but I'm sure they did have their reasons for it. I also don't believe the Sox feel Baj has no future.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
Bastards, this should have been Baj's call up. :fyou

What more does the guy need to do to get a chance at the bigs?  Hopefully he gets included in one of the deadline deals so that he can go somewhere that is willing to give him a real chance.

I don't want to see him traded. I want him in the BP next year after Vizcaino is non-tendered or traded.

Edited by santo=dorf