A board of my own

First of all before I get started on the rules and such, I would like to say thanks to the guys behind Soxtalk and Soxnet. :cheers This is a great format, and a great concept. I am also honored to be asked to head up this board.

Now down to brass tacks.

Being an ESPN board refugee as many of you know, we put together a rough version of our own pick to click contest over there. This is the site that Sox4lifeinPA put together to keep out info on.

http://whitesox.blogspot.com/

We decided to go with a tightly regulated version of a pick to click contest. Because of the constant whining and nagging that goes on over there we decided as a group to go with a contest that assigned a point value to each action that a hitter made. That way it is cut and dry 100% clear who wins every night. The scoring system that we went with is listed on the bottom of the above link. So far the point system has worked for us, but many feel that the point method over emphases the HR. The other problem being to change the point method too much more makes it incredibly complicated to calculate a players points.

But the other option is to have an objectively picked winner of the PTC winner nightly. What happens in this case is after every game a specific person decides who the PTC winner was, much like Hawk does on TV. Where this version comes into play when a player has a decent day at the plate and accumulates enough points to win, but has mental mistakes such as baserunning or errors in the field. The other thing that this allows for is the inclusion of the pitchers in the contest. But it also can make for the most controversial method because there is no cut and dry method for saying absolutely who the winner is.

I would love to hear from as many people as possible to make this contest customized for what all of you want for a Soxtalk contest. Either post your opines here or you can even PM me or email me at krash_net@hotmail.com

ss2k3,

nice to see you here as well.

i must say this is a very cool forum, and thanks to the powers that be that put it on.

question for you, ss2k3, how are we going to make our daily picks? are we going to start a new thread every day like the old board?

question for you, ss2k3, how are we going to make our daily picks? are we going to start a new thread every day like the old board?

I think the easiest way to do it would be to start a new thread everday with "5-13 PTC" as the title, that way it is all in the same place. That is the nice thing about this board is it only shows thread titles, so you don't lose threads easily, and it has a search option to find old threads.

And it is nice to see ya Bev. Welcome aboard!

I was trying to decide that last night. And really most everyone that was playing regularly except for a couple of people are moving over here. I think I am just going to let it go. I will offer the info to whoever wants it, but I don't feel like taking care of the contest if I am not going to be over there. I think I am just going to invite everyone who wants to keep going over here.

BTW I think I am going to keep track of our info somewhere else, just to see who wins out between us ex-ESPNers.

One rule that I noticed isn't on the site, but is a cornerstone of our game is that you can only pick a player twice in one week. That way someone can't pick Maggs all week long, or something similar. You have to spread your picks around and think about matchups and such.

Dude how many from this site are going to participate? Has anyone been approached on it?

It is out there and open to all. I am hoping for a better turn out than we had over on ESPN, as there are more people who post over here. I know we will have at least the 5 of us who have just made the switch, plus a few other people have already posted picks for tommorrows game. I got a good feeling about it.

First off welcome aboard to those that are new here.

In regards to the rules, everything looks good to me Ss2k3. It looks like you have a very good system, minus the fact that pitchers can't be included, but I don't think when Hawk and DJ do their picks to click that they count pitchers either.

I think the objective way is nice because it narrows that doubt, but I won't complain either way :D

I'm just glad we finally have this contest together. :headbang

shut it rook.....

LOL! i have to get called up!

I really am glad they are not here either. It was tolerable to a point, but it just got to be too much. Not only that, I kept on getting booted. I don't know what for, I wasn't trolling, but I guess Boog had it in for me.

dumb bastard.

*Yawn*

jealous amatuer. now make a PTC or get off of my board, lol.

I'll remember that when I block you from the blogspot website.

:finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger