Royals bracing for Greinke's prolonged absence

SSH2005

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13986241.htm

Pitcher left camp

Greinke dealing with issues

Team is bracing for a prolonged absence

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz. — Zack Greinke left the Royals’ camp last weekend to deal with ongoing emotional issues, several sources told The Star.

The sources did not specify the nature of those issues, and club officials declined to elaborate on their previous statements.

“I’m just not going to comment on that,” general manager Allard Baird said. “Zack Greinke is dealing with a personal matter. I don’t think it’s fair to the player to comment beyond that, and I don’t think it’s fair to the family.”

Club officials have been unilaterally tight-lipped in discussing Greinke’s departure. Greinke, 22, left camp and returned home Saturday afternoon to Orlando, Fla., by mutual agreement, according to sources, after meeting with club officials. Repeated attempts to contact Greinke and members of his family have been unsuccessful.

The Royals withheld confirmation of Greinke’s departure until they notified his teammates before Sunday’s workouts.

Baird previously said “no timetable” exists for Greinke’s return, but club officials are already bracing for a prolonged absence. Manager Buddy Bell said he doesn’t expect Greinke, at this point, to be ready to be in the starting rotation when the season begins April 3.

“That could change,” Bell said, “but I don’t think it will.”

Sources confirmed previous statements by Baird and Bell that Greinke’s departure was not a disciplinary matter, a legal issue, due to a physical injury or reflected a lack of desire to remain in baseball. Sources also confirmed the issue did not involve a family member or any other person.

“It’s something he has to deal with personally,” one source said, “and he has to do it now. It’s not something that could wait.”

Greinke was the club’s first-round draft pick in 2002 and has long been viewed as a cornerstone of its youth movement. He entered camp as a favorite to retain his spot in the rotation despite going 5-17 last season with a 5.80 ERA in 33 starts.

“I understand that people are concerned and want to know what’s going on,” Baird said. “But this is a personal matter for Zack and his family. We want to respect that.”

I wonder if the Royals constant losing is affecting him. I cannot imagine that he is encouraged by the moves the Royals have made around him during his career there, and he is really young to boot. He is probably stressed out.

I wonder if the Royals constant losing is affecting him.  I cannot imagine that he is encouraged by the moves the Royals have made around him during his career there, and he is really young to boot.  He is probably stressed out.

There was an earlier article last week or so that said that the Royals weren't guaranteeing Greinke a spot in the rotation. They wanted him to compete for the fifth starter spot. That's a really stupid move by the Royals, regardless of how bad Greinki was last season. They are going to lose a ton of games with or without Greinke in their rotation so they may as well start him and let him develop.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
There was an earlier article last week or so that said that the Royals weren't guaranteeing Greinke a spot in the rotation.  They wanted him to compete for the fifth starter spot.  That's a really stupid move by the Royals, regardless of how bad Greinki was last season.  They are going to lose a ton of games with or without Greinke in their rotation so they may as well start him and let him develop.

That is absolute s*** from the Royals, Greinke is probably their most naturally-skilled pitcher. I bet if you had the right game-caller he would win 12-15 games easy. He got lit up a few times last year that I saw, but I have also seen him shut down the Sox for stretches.

I say f***ing trade for him... let him be our second lefty out of the 'pen, and wait for him to take over a spot in our rotation during injury down the road when the Count leaves. he throws a low 90's fastball, and a low '60s big sweeping curve. that would be sick.

you're telling me the royals wouldn't give up grienke for a couple of decent prospects?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
I say f***ing trade for him... let him be our second lefty out of the 'pen, and wait for him to take over a spot in our rotation during injury down the road when the Count leaves.  he throws a low 90's fastball, and a  low '60s big sweeping curve.  that would be sick.

you're telling me the royals wouldn't give up grienke for a couple of decent prospects?

He's a righty not lefty.

Greinke is a phenominal pitcher, I would give a lot to get him on the white sox. he has incredible potential.

It is sad he is having issues and I hope he gets his off-field issues straightened out

I would like to add that he looks like hes about 12 years old

There is speculation on the Royals MLB board that the kid may have bi-polar disorder or some type of depression problems unrelated to baseball.

If that is the case, he needs to get better and not worry about baseball.

I've got a family member who was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and it can truly wreck a person's (or an entire family) life.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
There is speculation on the Royals MLB board that the kid may have bi-polar disorder or some type of depression problems unrelated to baseball.

I've got a family member who was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and it can truly wreck a person's (or an entire family) life.

Same here, and to be honest as soon as I heard this story that was what came to my mind. I hope the kid comes back better than ever someday after getting himself better.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)

I have a friend who had an uncle that had bi-polar disorder.

Great guy - I recall a story I heard about how he went from store to store for about an hour or more trying to find chocolate yogurt - so yeah, he was a bit weird too. But he was funnier than hell, great dad, great husband - just a great man in general.

He stopped taking his medication, and he's no longer with us.

Bi-polar is horrible...any type of emotional problems are bad. Let Greinke heal up, get his head on straight, get some confidence in himself as a person and a player, and then let him take the field again.

Sad story, this is probably the best for him.

I always enjoyed watching him pitch and I hope he's back soon. My cubs fan friend is pretty much his biggest fan so she's extremely crushed at the thought of her favorite player suddenly stop playing at such an early point in his career.