"This Too Shall Pass" Thread

beck72

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
heres another reason Im worried about this series. The SOX needed to shave a game or 2 off the lead BEFORE getting to Detroit. The Tigers playing the SOX with just a 1/2 game lead wouldve had them NERVOUS and looking over their shoulders. Unfortuneately, the SOX had other ideas and now the Tiggers have a 4 1/2 game lead and are playing CONFIDENT and with MOMENTUM (I said momentum, heh heh)

The Tiggers will play loose now that they have a lead, knowing that us sweeping them will still have them with the lead :unsure: Heck, even if we take 2 of 3, we only take 1 game off of the lead.

I would have to disagree. This is an important series for both teams.

I wouldn't say the Tigers have momentum either or that they are playing well; they beat KC 3-1 in the series, and actually barely won two of those games if it wasn't for the normal KC meltdown. Verlander's game was their only decent game, other than that, they allowed 22 runs in 3 games to KC's Offense.

A 4 1/2 game lead is not much with 70 games left. The Sox only have to make up 1 game every 14 games.

If the Sox win 2 of 3, they will be 7-2 on the season series and would put the Sox only 3 1/2 back, and only 3 back in the loss column. A sweep makes it 1 1/2 back and only 1 in the loss column. That would be demoralizing for the Tigers knowing that they still have their difficult schedule coming in August.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Wait...wait wait...

The Sox had other ideas? They wanted to lose?

Plus, a sweep of the Tigers will have no effect on them?!?

:headshake

You think the SOX were trying to win those other 2 games? Its arguable at best.

But us SWEEPING the Tigers is significantly much HARDER now that they have a 4.5 lead on us and ....

MOMENTUM (oops, I said momentum). What I meant by that, is that the Tiggers are going to play LOOSE, Carefree and Easy knowing they have that lead. The SOX? They are going in having lost 3 in a row, lost 2 series in a row, have looked miserable for a couple weeks now, and have to VISIT detroit.

all things not in our favor right now. Thats why I said that

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
I would have to disagree. This is an important series for both teams.

If the Sox win 2 of 3, they will be 7-2 on the season series and would put the Sox only 3 1/2 back, and only 3 back in the loss column. A sweep makes it 1 1/2 back and only 1 in the loss column. That would be demoralizing for the Tigers knowing that they still have their difficult schedule coming in August.

I think everyone (me too) forgets about the NY Yankees. They won again last nite, and probably will Sweep the Mariners. That means we will have to win all 3 just to keep pace. Winning solves everything, I know, but I really didnt want the SOX to be in this position going into the break ....................

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
But us SWEEPING the Tigers is significantly much HARDER now that they have a 4.5 lead on us and ....

MOMENTUM (oops, I said momentum). What I meant by that, is that the Tiggers are going to play LOOSE, Carefree and Easy knowing they have that lead. The SOX? They are going in having lost 3 in a row, lost 2 series in a row, have looked miserable for a couple weeks now, and have to VISIT detroit.

all things not in our favor right now. Thats why I said that

That does not answer my question. I never aksed you if sweeping them was either easy nor hard.

You stated if we do sweep them it will have no effect. I'm wondering why you think that.

You speak of momentum, but ignore what a White Sox sweep could do to the Tigers.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Just thought I'd bump the thread. Things don't look good as the sox are playing like crap. But for some reason, I'm still not worried. The sox still are healthy and have the talent to get to the playoffs, even without making a move.

I don't see this team rolling over and giving up. Even with the slump, the sox aren't "going through the motions" ala the pre-2005 teams. They're still battling. Hopefully, it'll work out. Because there are no quick fixes that will turn this thing around.